Oil filters

Anyone who has done their oil change already, were you able to find the fram or other filter at advance or autozone? I am planning on doing it this weekend with Mobile 1 and was just curious if those who have already done it might know.

Also, it seems the filter and drain plug are in a somewhat reasonable location compared to the ecoboost f150, which required you to remove the skid plate to do it well. Even then the filter was right over the engine cross member so oil had to drain onto this and into the drain pain and that sucked!

Anyone have any comments with regards to their first experience on this truck?

I imagine it is in the manual, but anyone know the torque for the drain bolt/filter off the top of their head?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to use mobil 1 synthetic, which is not going to happen at the dealer. I also enjoy doing the maintenance on my vehicles myself. I have seen too many things messed up in my business by techs that "know" how to work on engines.

Just my preference I guess. That way I know exactly what was done and can document it for the future.

I would like to use mobil 1 synthetic, which is not going to happen at the dealer. I also enjoy doing the maintenance on my vehicles myself. I have seen too many things messed up in my business by techs that "know" how to work on engines.

Just my preference I guess. That way I know exactly what was done and can document it for the future.

Do like I do and take your M1 to the dealer and buy the oem filter from them. Mine charges around 10-14 labor and the filter cost. Small dealer and techs are good. with the oil burn issues of the 900s, GM has no bitch if oem filter. If you must buy non-oem get a good one.....not a fram....

If you insist on changing it your self, be alert when you remove the drain plug. It will shoot out of there and bet you miss the pan the first time (unless a lift with catch pan).

Also, if you use the dealer, the dealer will have a record of the change and the mileage. This will show up in car fax (should you sell or trade) to show you changed it and what mileage.

It takes longer to get to the dealership and wait for them to change the oil in comparison to doing it in my garage. Like i said, i enjoy it and have seen too many issues with techs not paying attention in my own line of work and in the auto industry. If i am turning the wrenches, i know exactlly what was done for better or worse.

I will probably grab the ac delco filter.

You know what's funny, my local dealer uses Mobil1 for all oil changes unless you specify otherwise. They said they can get it cheaper than the Dexos, and of course it's full synthetic. They don't charge extra for it.

you have 2 years free (4 total) oil changes free on your 2014 truck. They wil use a Mobil 1 oli filter if you pay the difference I am sure. Why waste that money that they are giving you for free? Take it to a dealer that has a quick lube area where you can watch them if you are unsure about it.

The Fram is junk is an Internet thing that now has no merit.Fram several years ago had a bad batch of filters...several years ago. Their XTRA Guard is one of the best filters you can buy. Go over to bobistheoilguy.com for some self eduaction.

Even on there its people either ranting or raving. Its a forum. Find what works for you. The oil change place I worked at in 2011 used fram and in my experience they are of poor quality

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

The Fram is junk is an Internet thing that now has no merit.Fram several years ago had a bad batch of filters...several years ago. Their XTRA Guard is one of the best filters you can buy. Go over to bobistheoilguy.com for some self eduaction.

Fran didn't have a bad batch. They were junk for years. Regardless, having an OE filter on there should warranty problems come up will be one less hassle.

Change at home if you like but the oil on my 09 really shoots out at first. I used a cut up oil qt to divert it down into the pan. Not sure about the '14s.

As far as filters, my service mgr friend said some engines were failing and they found oil filter material clogging the internals. Said GM was fighting the repairs if some off brand filter. I was using Mobil 1 filters. But were a pain to find. So I just switched to OEM, as I change every 5,000. Just Cuts out any possible argument with GM should stuff happen.

I drive 50 miles one way (heck we drive 20-30 one way for lunch in S.TX.) for them to change the oil. I could and have changed at home, but dealership is small and like family now. Things get done and fixed quickly at more reasonable prices when you are regular. They did a GM courtesy warranty repair when I was just a few miles out of warranty.

I agree 100% on this. I feel the same way.

How do you document home oil changes? receipts of oil/filters purchased show date but no mileage. Most folks can tell by the shape of the truck but still receipts not a real documentation of oil change and mileage. I use to change at home but now have a trusted service department. But the main thing is use oem or high end filter at home or shop.

If you ever look at a car fax on a used car, it will show dealer and oil lube shop changes on the report. They enter the vin. If you keep them for ever as I tend to do, it does not matter.

I have an excel sheet that I document all details in for the truck and scan images of the receipts for filters/oil. I also upload a picture of the odometer of the vehicle. Sure you can say it doesn't prove that it was for this truck, but you also can't prove the right amount or right weight of oil was put in at the dealer because you have no direct contact to the process. Whether the tech accidentally used the wrong bulk dispensed oil or wanted to go home that day and didn't care, you don't know. As a mechanical engineer that designs industrial engine systems I have seen the damage that can be done by tech service negligence first hand. Not saying all techs are this way...

Archived