kstruckcountry's 2006 Silverado Z71

kstruckcountry

Thanks!

I will add: The ATP tires seem to be holding up well at 26,000 miles BUT they are starting to cup. I am not pleased because they have been rotated plenty and the front end is perfectly aligned. I'm not sure what is causing it.

Usually it's the shocks that cause cupping. The shock can't compress and decompress fast enough when going over bumps thus causing the tire to skip and cupping to occur.

Usually it's the shocks that cause cupping. The shock can't compress and decompress fast enough when going over bumps thus causing the tire to skip and cupping to occur.

That was my thought, but the Bilstiens have only been on for about 50k.

Huh ok if that's ruled out check alignment, upper & lower ball joints, steering linkage, wheel bearings too. There's a lot of things that can have slop to cause cupping.

Edited by Full Lock

When I went to get my alignment the shop said that my ball joints will cause uneven tire wear, at this point it's the only significant weak point up front. Struts/shocks and tie rods are both practically new.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

When I went to get my alignment the shop said that my ball joints will cause uneven tire wear, at this point it's the only significant weak point up front. Struts/shocks and tie rods are both practically new.

I don't know what alignment shop you heard that from but that's Definitely not true at all

Mine was bad under the original paint. I don't have any sandblasting equipment here, so I just sanded it well enough and put on about 4 coats. I'm trying to figure out a way to divert the water so it doesn't happen again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Same here. I think I sanded mine down with an air tool and sanding disc. So far it's holding up good. I primed it too before paint.

Huh ok if that's ruled out check alignment, upper & lower ball joints, steering linkage, wheel bearings too. There's a lot of things that can have slop to cause cupping.

That's the thing. Alignment was and is dead on. Z height was even perfectly level side to side. I just have to get it figured out before new tires.

Loose ball joints affect alignment (toe) and camber...

you can google "ball joint affecting tire wear" and look at every article. I have a fleet of Econolines which eat balljoint, when they get worn out it tears up the tires. Edited by KMGZ400

I don't know what alignment shop you heard that from but that's Definitely not true at all

you can google "ball joint affecting tire wear" and look at every article. I have a fleet of Econolines which eat balljoint, when they get worn out it tears up the tires.

Hmmm true or not you have seemed to contradict yourself.

FYI ball joints depending on location can cause odd tire wear

• Like 1

you can google "ball joint affecting tire wear" and look at every article. I have a fleet of Econolines which eat balljoint, when they get worn out it tears up the tires.

That's the thing. Alignment was and is dead on. Z height was even perfectly level side to side. I just have to get it figured out before new tires.

And yeah if it's, let's say a lower control arm ballpoint that's severely worn to have enough up/down play with the wheel, that can cause the same effect as worn shocks/struts thus choppy tirewear, aswell as noise and or vibration Edited by Full Lock

And yeah if it's, let's say a lower control arm ballpoint that's severely worn to have enough up/down play with the wheel, that can cause the same effect as worn shocks/struts thus choppy tirewear, aswell as noise and or vibration

Very possible. I was planning on redoing the entire front end anyway before the next set of tires.

• 1 month later...

Over 140,000 miles now, I think the ATP's will make 50k. Headlights are starting to haze, I'm looking at the 3M kit. Has anyone used it?

It stills shines up really well for a 2006, polished and sealed over the weekend. 303 on the mirrors made them look like new.

I need to get a new deflector and install the backup camera.

20160907_140645_zpsdp3w21rz.jpg

#nofilter [emoji38]

Edited by kstruckcountry

I've used TurtleWax and Maguire's kits. Both worked equally well but the Maguire's kit was more complete with like 3 different sandpaper disc grits. Most work about the same. It's how much material you need to sand off as to which kit you should get

• Like 1