Is Anyone Keeping OnStar When Trial Subscription Ends?

Looking for "I'm lucky I had OnStar" stories.

I don't intend to use OnStar for Navigation since I have a Garmin that I'm very happy with. I purchased the introductory telephone minutes for $9.99 because it was so inexpensive as an introduction (I think it was 300 minutes but not sure). LOL - But I've only used 2 of the minutes just testing it out.

I'm kind of OCD in that it bugs me to have buttons available to me that won't work when my subscription ends, but I can't see paying roughly $20/month for something "just in case." Plus my introductory minutes expire at the end of the 6 month trial period and I think additional ones are relatively expensive.

If I let it expire and run into a situation where I really need it, couldn't I just push the button, get subscribed again and then get help?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to renue "just in case". If my wife drives the truck and gets into a crash or God forbid it gets stolen, OnStar can find it for me.

I'm a LEO, and have seen OnStar come in handy on crashes and stolen vehicles.

If they were as easy to work with as XM they'd get some of my money.... XM gets $100 a year from me for 2 vehicles. Not much at all but I know what I am willing to pay for the service and am willing to live without it if it's too much. same with onstar I'd pay something for it but not what they want so I live without. Their loss

Onstar offered me a $169 per year renewal on my wife's car. That's too much for me for something I have never used in the 12 years I have had Onstar on other vehicles. Their emergency service / roadside assistance / crash notification deal should be about $5.00 a month, then I would probably keep it.

Mike

I'm pretty amped about the remote start with the OnStar app. It works slick.

So long as you use it 1 time while OnStar is activated you will be able to use the app for 5 or 6 years.

Also usually as soon as a vehicle with OnStar is stolen the theives break off the antenna. Seen it more then once on a Duramax forum.

So long as you use it 1 time while OnStar is activated you will be able to use the app for 5 or 6 years.

Also usually as soon as a vehicle with OnStar is stolen the theives break off the antenna. Seen it more then once on a Duramax forum.

What antenna? The shark fin on the top is for XM. The Onstar is an internal one.

Notice you get the app's "remote" functionality for 5 years although the normal OnStar operator assisted (who wants to be forced to use an operator these days anyway?) trial expires after 6 months.

What antenna? The shark fin on the top is for XM. The Onstar is an internal one.

I just talked to a friend that is a GM Certified technician and he is able to look at GM tech info online and what he was able to see its still the shark fin.

I was under the impression that the shark fin was both XM and OnStar

So what would you use that for? I imagine like if you're in your office getting ready to leave and your car is out of sight or something? (Or on an airplane taxiing in?) Actually sounds kinda cool

Archived