Water leak in the roof

Got in my truck last night after work and on my way home water started leaking from one side of the drivers sun-visor. I think it came in from the back part of the roof because it didn't start dripping on me until I started going downhill. Has anybody else had this issue. I don't have a sunroof.

post-127588-0-57101900-1393000688_thumb.jpg

Service dept water tested the truck and found out that the shark fin seal was bad. Which is amazing because the truck only has 300 miles on it. Cheap seal, just another way GM is cutting corners and think their saving money. No damage to the headliner. Sealed, water tested, no leak found. Hopefully it's fixed.

Edited by 14LTZZ71

What's amazing about it? Another lousy GM part made in China.

I'm being sarcastic. Did you not read the part about GM thinking that their saving money by using a cheap seal. Over time they will find that it would have been cheaper to use a quality seal vs the cost of performing warranty repairs at the dealerships.

Pull headliner down, water test, perform the repair, water test again, reinstall headliner.

Edited by 14LTZZ71

Does the new seal look different than the original one? Mine looks like molded black plastic with a "split" in it towards the rear of the truck. Seems water could easily make its way into that area.

Does the new seal look different than the original one? Mine looks like molded black plastic with a "split" in it towards the rear of the truck. Seems water could easily make its way into that area.

Service told me that they used a gasket sealer or silicone sealant to repair it. Yes mine had the split in the back of it also.

Just looked the original seal with the split in the back is still there so they must have used the original seal and some sealant.

Edited by 14LTZZ71

Service told me that they used a gasket sealer or silicone sealant to repair it. Yes mine had the split in the back of it also.

Just looked the original seal with the split in the back is still there so they must have used the original seal and some sealant.

I will check mine when it warms up. I'm in Chicago and still pretty cold here. Thanks for the update.

Got in my truck last night after work and on my way home water started leaking from one side of the drivers sun-visor. I think it came in from the back part of the roof because it didn't start dripping on me until I started going downhill. Has anybody else had this issue. I don't have a sunroof.

mine didnt leak on the drivers side but it did on the passenger side in the same place.. took it in and the couldn`t find anything. So now im keeping a eye on it last night it rained all night buy saw no leaks. But i did park it different in my driveway so going to park klike i did when i seen the leak.. i hope its just a pin hole in the windshield seal and nothing major..

I'd be very careful with roof leaks.. I know some guy who bought a brand new Acadia Denali and 2 months later the sunroof started leaking and it rained and the whole electrical system somehow fried... GM replaced the vehicle with a brand new one

• Like 1

mine didnt leak on the drivers side but it did on the passenger side in the same place.. took it in and the couldn`t find anything. So now im keeping a eye on it last night it rained all night buy saw no leaks. But i did park it different in my driveway so going to park klike i did when i seen the leak.. i hope its just a pin hole in the windshield seal and nothing major..

It may be coming in from the 3rd brake light and working its way to the front of the vehicle, but my guess is that it's the shark fin antenna.

Mine had the exact same issue. Faulty seal around the antenna base. Too bad the dealership looked at me like I was retarded when I told them where the leak was and it wasn't just the sunroof.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that GM hasn't chimed in on this thread.

No, I guess I'm not surprised.

I'm surprised that GM hasn't chimed in on this thread.

No, I guess I'm not surprised.

If they did, it woud be the customary "I am very sorry, blah, blah, blah,,,,,,"

I am sure people expect something more to the point, such as "GM is aware of the problem and is actively working on a replacement seal".

Edited by pm26