My 2014 Sierra SLT - First impressions

I just got a crew cab Sierra SLT 4x4, Z71, 5.3L, 3.42, 20" wheels. The truck is so handsome, even my wife likes it. I've heard complaints about the head lights--I think they are fine and plenty bright. The truck is very comfortable--great seats and I even like adjustable pedals. The sunglass holder is small--I can barely get my glasses to fit. Mylink is a little complicated, but no worse than UConnect on my wife's Jeep. Ride, quietness, and handling are remarkably good for such a large vehicle. I agree that throttle response is a little slow and some transmission shifts (1st-2nd) are not the smoothest (again no worse than the 8 speed transmission on my wife's Jeep). Like the Jeep, perhaps throttle response and shifts are designed to maximize efficiency. This is a minimal complaint and I'm sure I'll get used to how it drives. There is plenty of power and acceleration for me. Gas mileage has been excellent--nursing it around town I'm getting 16-17 mpg (no trips yet).

My dealer (Everett Chev/GMC in Hickory NC) has been great to deal with. They sprayed in a Rhino liner. They did an excellent--removing all the tabs in the sides of the bed before spraying and replacing them afterwards. For about $70 I'm having an extra key made to minimize the risk of getting locked out in the middle of no where.

I also got an ARE Z-Series camper top. It looks good, is very functional, and has remarkably good visibility out of the back.

My truck has the Cargo Convenience Package. The factory under seat storage bin for the back is excellent. The all weather floor mats are nice but small--I replaced them with Weathertech. The console organizer tray was not a tray at all, but rather a pretty worthless folding bag. I wouldn't recommend this package, but would get the under seat storage bin.

Overall, this is an excellent truck. I trust it will be as dependable as the 2005 GMC 1500HD it's replacing.

Thank you forum members for all of your posts--this is a great resource.

Congratulations I love mine so far. Your truck didn't come with 2 keys? Also download the OnStar Remote Link app to your phone. I believe if you use it now you get the remote start and lock/unlock features for free for 5 years. That will help you not get locked out also, assuming you don't lock your phone in the truck.

I can't find anything not to like with mine! 3,500 miles and going strong. 2014 Sierra SLT 4x4 6.2L with max tow package.

I've now driven the truck about 200 miles including highway miles. It really drives well at highway speeds and I am shocked by the fuel economy. Driving 70 mph on the interstate and 60 mph on 2 lane roads, I averaged 22.5 mpg (my best economy on the interstate was 23.5!). Perhaps the camper top helps the aerodynamics. The truck has a smooth quiet ride while handling very well (very little lean on turns). I'm loving it.

BTW, I got an extra key (actually a 3rd key) because some of the places I take this truck hunting have spotty or no cell coverage (especially AT&T coverage).

Archived