Plastic Skid Plate?

I know the rage is all light weight for fuel economy and low cost, but the plastic plate seems light duty for hardcore off roading. That said, I'm the 'average' user, mostly roads with a touch of woods operating. I'll likely just leave it as is, but is there an after-market metal plate?

I would think at least some would want a metal skid plate.

There was a perfect fitting front skid plate made by Trailmaster for the GMT900 platform vehicles with stock front suspension. Unfortunately, Trailmaster changed hands, and that part has been discontinued. Since the K2XX and GMT900's share a very similar front suspension/frame design, that part would fit. I wish another company would introduce a new one to replace the awful plastic OEM part. They would sell very well.

Why not order the factory Z71 or All Terrain skid plate then, those are aluminum if I remember right.

I think he's talking about the front angled plastic piece that bridges the gap between the radiator to the crossmember. This is intended to help with air flow for cooling and wind resistance (drag reduction).

I'm also interested in metal or aluminum skid plates. I've had a few "good thing i have skid plates" moments. I thought all skid plates on the 14+ are plastic? My quad has plastic skid plates, and they surprised me. I doubt it will be a similar experience with something that weighs almost 10x as much.

Why not order the factory Z71 or All Terrain skid plate then, those are aluminum if I remember right.

The oil pan skid plate on my truck is aluminum, but I am referring to the front plastic air deflector, or "skid plate" that bolts to the front frame crossmember.

Its all plastic on the new trucks

Its all plastic on the new trucks

Except at the transfer case. With the off road package, the transfer case has an aluminum skid plate. The rest of them are plastic.

And as I understand it, it's a high strength/durable plastic that should suit almost all stock truck off-road applications. These trucks aren't built to crawl rocks all afternoon they're meant to handle some basic 4 wheeling applications (sand, snow, mud) and handle some less than ideal terrain. If you're doing any kind of serious off-roading, then the plastic skid plates along with most of the rest of the truck are not adequate for that. Anyone that puts on a lift kit and huge wheels to tackle more extreme conditions should also look at more robust under-body protection from the aftermarket.

But for yuppies like me who's off-roading consists of some snow and sand 4 wheeling and the occasional hunting/camping/fishing trip into the woods, these plastic skid plates are more than enough.

Yes, I was talking about the 'real skid plate', the one under the oil pan & all. Like I said, I may just get by with the factory one, I have scraped one across rocks a few times in the past though. I may just have to walk that last 200 yards.

yeah I looked for one not too long ago but came up with nothing. I would like to replace the plastic skid plate with a metal or alum one I was hoping that they would come out with one. if they don't then I think I might have to go buy some sheet metal and take a grinder and welder and start making my own. I don't hardcore off road or rock crawl but it doesn't hurt having that extra protection underneath your truck. you got to protect your investment (vehicles are not really considered investments but you know what I mean).

... yuppies like me who's off-roading consists of some snow and sand 4 wheeling and the occasional hunting/camping/fishing trip into the woods, ...

I used to be a yuppie, now I'm an ouppie (Old Urban Professional)

yeah I looked for one not too long ago but came up with nothing. I would like to replace the plastic skid plate with a metal or alum one I was hoping that they would come out with one. if they don't then I think I might have to go buy some sheet metal and take a grinder and welder and start making my own.

Once I get some time on my hands this is what I plan on doing

:D:D

I used to be a yuppie, now I'm an ouppie (Old Urban Professional)

Wasn't he on the Andy Griffith Show?

Archived