Extra Battery

Complete guess, but I think the engine compartment will be/is the same for the 2015 2500/3500 trucks and they have 2 batteries (diesel), cost savings. same engine bay, no extra battery on 1500's. As far as adding a second one, a waste, unless you are adding a ton of lights, subs, tv's and aftermarket accessories. and then you'd still need a bigger/extra alternator to charge it. Or, spare battery for worst case, battery dies in middle of nowhere. Not really any reason IMHO.

If you were running a winch, boat trailer winch, small camper, or something similar the second battery is good to have.

Didn't think of those. Never had a winch, but that, or camper would seem to validate it. I'm not sure of the capacity of the factory alternator though. Would the current system allow two batteries? Or upgraded alternator required?

Mine will carry a spare battery for remote hunting trips. This will allow you to jump start your primary battery, or swap it out if need be. It will just be a place to carry a spare, in my case.

Just a little added piece of mind.

All the people that have thus far towed, hauled and used their trucks as trucks have all left out the parts of the stories where they constantly needed jumped or had to recharge their batteries mid trip. All to keep up the theory that these trucks aren't just glorified station wagons. I guess GM is in on it too. They did put a secret spot for more power capability.... man this Kool aid is good.

Didn't think of those. Never had a winch, but that, or camper would seem to validate it. I'm not sure of the capacity of the factory alternator though. Would the current system allow two batteries? Or upgraded alternator required?

No, the standard alternator would charge both. Most people would run and isolator or solenoid on the second battery so it could be drained separately from the main starting battery.

Edited by Last C5

Mine will carry a spare battery for remote hunting trips. This will allow you to jump start your primary battery, or swap it out if need be. It will just be a place to carry a spare, in my case.

Just a little added piece of mind.

Don't forget to charge it in some manner regularly.

Don't forget to charge it in some manner regularly.

It will only be there on trips and remote hunts, and it will be well charged with a battery tender hook-up.

• 6 months later...

I cant imagine why you would need a bigger alternator to trickle charge a second battery while driving the truck, it would be no different than towing something with lots of lights and its own battery to charge. And why bother with battery isolation unless your not using the vehicle for long periods of time?? You'd want to wire it in parallel to double the current not the voltage, right? And would that extend the endurance of your trucks power systems when its not running while your parked someplace with the radio and internal lights and bed light running for long periods of time??

Edited by GC741969

red to red, black to black

It would charge both if that is what you wanted.

Yes you could run your gadgets longer with the engine off.

That is why people do it. If you had an isolator and you tied your stereo system to one battery and

the truck to the other you could run the stereo till it shut off and the truck would still start.

The diesels take more cold cranking amps and often see harsher climates.

Two batters also extends the life of the battery and makes a better chance your truck will start when its -25 degrees.

99% of the people have no need.

You do not need a bigger alternator to charge them.

The alternator effects load when running.

Your not increasing the load.