383 stroker

Im not real sure if you could or not. I would think that it would just depend on what parts you put into it and if it would be worth your time. In the future i really want to do a 383 stroker but I have to many things on my plate right now to get to that. but it seems like you can spend about as much as you want on them. I just depends what you are shooting for.

• 2 weeks later...

I just completed an engine swap in the wife's 1999 Tahoe and replaced it with this very engine (HT383E) in. To date the new engine has a little less than 1500 miles since installation.

When I say completed, I mean the very last thing I was going to do was have it put on a dyno and tuned. Long story short, the engine was tuned on a dyno and it's putting out 228.6 hp at 3850 RPM, and 330.2 ft lbs of torque at 3550 RPM at the rear wheels on 87 octane pump gas.

However, the jury is still out as I'm not making "final" judgment until I have an idea of what kind of economy it makes. I've read horror stories regarding oil consumption, but so far the oil level hasn't moved.

I had given some thought on doing a comprehensive write up and posting it on this forum. I still may if there's any interest expressed.

In closing, yes this is my first post on this forum. Usually I'm on some gun :M16: forum someplace. (I have a weakness for stainless Colt and Ed Brown 1911's) But I'm trying to be a more rounded person. :D

I just completed an engine swap in the wife's 1999 Tahoe and replaced it with this very engine (HT383E) in. To date the new engine has a little less than 1500 miles since installation.

When I say completed, I mean the very last thing I was going to do was have it put on a dyno and tuned. Long story short, the engine was tuned on a dyno and it's putting out 228.6 hp at 3850 RPM, and 330.2 ft lbs of torque at 3550 RPM at the rear wheels on 87 octane pump gas.

However, the jury is still out as I'm not making "final" judgment until I have an idea of what kind of economy it makes. I've read horror stories regarding oil consumption, but so far the oil level hasn't moved.

I had given some thought on doing a comprehensive write up and posting it on this forum. I still may if there's any interest expressed.

In closing, yes this is my first post on this forum. Usually I'm on some gun :M16: forum someplace. (I have a weakness for stainless Colt and Ed Brown 1911's) But I'm trying to be a more rounded person. :D

Does it feel much more responsive than the stock 5.7? My 97 5.7 is still going strong with almost 200k on the clock. I put a black bear tune on it and noticed a small power and response increase.

I for one would be interested in your writeup.

Does it feel much more responsive than the stock 5.7? My 97 5.7 is still going strong with almost 200k on the clock. I put a black bear tune on it and noticed a small power and response increase.

I for one would be interested in your writeup.

Yes, it is much, much more responsive. It sets you back in your seat type of response.

I'll do a write up in the next couple of weeks. We're in the middle of fall Chinook season here in the PNW.

I'll start another thread so as not to highjack this one.

• 4 months later...

Wow that was really all it put out I just had my 99 suburban stroked and have not started it yet. That is less than stock what were the high rpm #s

He is quoting hp and tq numbers at the rear wheels. All stock specs are taken at the crank. You loose 15 - 20% through drivetrain.

At the crank 255 hp 330 lb/ft torque

Rear wheels 204 hp 264 lb/ft torque

Yes, it is much, much more responsive. It sets you back in your seat type of response.

I'll do a write up in the next couple of weeks. We're in the middle of fall Chinook season here in the PNW.

I'll start another thread so as not to highjack this one.

How's your 383 treating you?

How's your 383 treating you?

Used a little oil for about the first 2,000 miles, now that the rings (I suspect) have been broken in it doesn't use a drop. I have about 10,000 on it now. No leaks. Other than the occasional P0305 (cylinder 5 misfire) code it is running as good as I could ask for. Like I said in a previous post the torque really set you back in your seat. Although I have no hard numbers to compare the new motor with the old 5.7, I can sure feel the difference, especially when I tow my 3500lb boat. Especially uphill or merging on to the interstate.

The P0305 code has me perplexed. I don't believe it has anything to do with the new motor. I have a OBD2 scanner and it only allegedly misfires above 2700 RPM's. I sure can't feel it, so I don't know what to make of it. Numerous searches on the internet and various forums have turned up a few guys having the same problems with their 5.7's but I have yet to come across anyone talking about finding a solution. So for now I'm just ignoring it. I'm getting no secondary indications, so I'm tending to think it's a software issue in the ECM. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

Additional:

Believe me I've tried everything to get this P0305 code figured out and/or fixed. New spider, swapping spark plugs, swapping wires, even replaced the rotor and cap.

Oh, and getting 12.5 mpg in the city and 16.9 mpg on the highway. In other owrds about the same as the stock 5.7 Vortec.

Have you tried switching plugs in #5 cyl? If the misfire code follows that plug then bingo! I had this happen on my truck. Plug looked like new but for some reason was causing misfire. Replaced and haven't seen code since.

I'm sure you read that it could be the mechanical SFI (spider ) fuel injection. You can upgrade that to electronic MPFI for about $300 ~ $350. I'm still running the old SFI injection. Everything works good except cold starts it tends to flood the engine a bit on first start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Additional:

Believe me I've tried everything to get this P0305 code figured out and/or fixed. New spider, swapping spark plugs, swapping wires, even replaced the rotor and cap.

Oh, and getting 12.5 mpg in the city and 16.9 mpg on the highway. In other owrds about the same as the stock 5.7 Vortec.

How's the 383 holding up? Would you still recommend it over a stock 5.7? Is the fuel economy similar to a stock 350? Or worse?

How's the 383 holding up? Would you still recommend it over a stock 5.7? Is the fuel economy similar to a stock 350? Or worse?

It's holding up really well. Not burning oil. Fuel economy about the same. The increase in torque is really noticeable especially under hard acceleration or pulling my boat.

As far as recommending it goes, I'd have to say no. The 5.7 had plenty of ponies and torque for my needs and the I just can't say the HT383 is 3 grand better than the stock crate motor.

Bottomline: If I had it to do over again, I'd simply swap the old 5.7 for a new 5.7 and forget all about the 383. But that's just me.

Archived