Tuning manual trans mode..

I haven't seen any mention of tuning of the two different trans modes for our trucks. On my G8 I had the normal mode pretty much left stock and the Sport and Manual modes had a lil more tweak to them for tighter shifts and less tq management. I loved it. One thing I don't like about the manual mode on the trucks is it will still downshift if low enough rpms. I would like to think this is tuneable. To possibly make it a true manual mode? Have any of you tuner guys messed with the two modes at all?

I haven't seen any mention of tuning of the two different trans modes for our trucks. On my G8 I had the normal mode pretty much left stock and the Sport and Manual modes had a lil more tweak to them for tighter shifts and less tq management. I loved it. One thing I don't like about the manual mode on the trucks is it will still downshift if low enough rpms. I would like to think this is tuneable. To possibly make it a true manual mode? Have any of you tuner guys messed with the two modes at all?

In all the hand held tunes I used you could tune out the most of the TM, run the RPM to the max as well as the shift points. If you wanted to soften up the shifts and back down the RPM to 5500 hit the tow haul button to calm it down. Its nice to have that option so you could nail it and not go to the max if you didn't want or need to.

I haven't seen anything on this either but a true manual mode would be great. Maybe Jenna from BB will chime in.

I haven't seen anything on this either but a true manual mode would be great. Maybe Jenna from BB will chime in.

Yep! Sometimes I just want to run the shit out of a gear without a downshift! But I like FULL control of a Manual mode.

Yep! Sometimes I just want to run the shit out of a gear without a downshift! But I like FULL control of a Manual mode.

I agree completely. I feel the trucks are great in the lower rpm ranges, you just never get to see it because the damn thing downshifts if you try to use it. That is the "one" thing about the Ford EB I had; if you put it in manual you could lug it and make it work whenever you wanted. If Jenna doesn't chime in I will email Justin.

I think there afraid the TQ would smoke the trans. It would be cool for burnouts thou you could shift early roll the tires good. You could do that with the turbo trans by pulling the linkage off the carb. I could do that with the 700r4 too from first to second.

Some vehicles it is tuneable, others, there is no impact.

Were discussing the 2014 K2XX platforms... My main question was regarding making the manual mode completely manual. Tune out the downshifting... Seems like it could be a possibility depending on software the tuner uses though.

Yes, in the trucks, it is displayed as a manual mode but it is not. It is a gear limiter, limiting the highest gear you can shift up to. Some trucks can be tuned for manual, some can't. In many cases it uses the same shift tables for normal mode as well as "manual" mode.

Yes, in the trucks, it is displayed as a manual mode but it is not. It is a gear limiter, limiting the highest gear you can shift up to. Some trucks can be tuned for manual, some can't. In many cases it uses the same shift tables for normal mode as well as "manual" mode.

Yes I understand what "manual mode" for these trucks are and that's my complaint. So what trucks can or can't be tuned? And when you say "can be tuned for manual"... i'm assuming your saying yes it can be tuned to be "complete manual control"?? It seems like you could adjust some parameters to keep things from downshifting while in the MM.

Not as cut and dry as one would hope. In many 6spd trucks (I dint have an exact list) manual and normal mode are the same mode in the transmission. Manual is a canbus signal sent from BCM specifying a top gear.

If you get some free time could you please look into this for us on our trucks. Thanks.

Not as cut and dry as one would hope. In many 6spd trucks (I dint have an exact list) manual and normal mode are the same mode in the transmission. Manual is a canbus signal sent from BCM specifying a top gear.

Ugh! Well that sucks if it is.

What are you looking to gain? A tuned trans shifting on its own will do better than you or I ever will in terms of shifting speed.

Yes I agree and that's not what i'm after. With my G8 there were different times where the M mode is much easier to accelerate as I can be ready than having to force the downshift then accelerate at the necessary moment. Plus I could have fun with it as well. I know its a truck but that doesn't mean it can't be an option. CATaylor mentioned the Fords have it. Just would be nice if our trucks could be tweaked for it.

Archived