2014/15+ HD PowerFold OEM Tow Mirrors (The Ones We've Been Waiting

superchargedss

This is a very good write up indeed.

Wanted to add an explanation on this part.

"I had one panic moment after swapping the passenger harness and mirror but not reinstalling the door panel — the turn signals, clearance lights and rear-facing LEDs worked, but it wouldn't unfold or adjust. It occurred to me that even though there are no mirror buttons on the passenger door, those functions might not work without the door lock and window switches connected. Sure enough, once they were connected, the mirror was fully functional."

On the LTZ/SLT models with Seat Memory, the passenger side window switch has an extra connector on it. This is how the passenger mirror folds/unfolds, and adjusts. It uses the Serial Data Bus # 8 circuit for input/output. This is why it wouldn't work without the door panel installed.

This is also why those of us with LT/SLE and lower cannot use DL3 Harnesses with the DL3 Mirrors on our trucks and why you'll need a customized DL8 Harness. Our DL8 harness doesn't have the Serial Data Bus # 8 circuit loaded. Even if it's loaded (I tired to load it), requires the K40 Seat Memory Module (under the seat), Seat Memory bezel switch and more wiring/connections in between.

f5efe3d6ef90bfbf306c4bdd248f63ed.jpg

4382e10c689b540b9b1bcc2f236ce402.jpg

I upgraded from DL3 mirrors to DQS mirrors on my '15 Denali 1500 today, and I'm pleased to report that everything "just worked" – power adjust, power fold (door switch and key fob), memory, reverse tilt, turn signals, clearance lights (on anytime the orange lights in the headlights are on), and rear-facing LEDs (come on with cargo switch and stay on in reverse). I didn't need to have any BCM or memory module programming performed. I purchased the mirrors (23241465 / 23241467) and door harnesses (23171564 / 23171567) from gmpartsdirect. No need for the RZY harness per the table from page 75. All said and done, it took me about 3.5 hours, including a couple of careless mistakes like forgetting to reconnect the door handle cable on the passenger door when I first put the panel back on. The trickiest part was removing the faux-wood panel on each door. Swapping out the door harnesses was easier than I expected. I had one panic moment after swapping the passenger harness and mirror but not reinstalling the door panel — the turn signals, clearance lights and rear-facing LEDs worked, but it wouldn't unfold or adjust. It occurred to me that even though there are no mirror buttons on the passenger door, those functions might not work without the door lock and window switches connected. Sure enough, once they were connected, the mirror was fully functional.

I received great customer service from gmpartsdirect. I called them once shortly after placing my order because as I was checking out they sent me a "We want your business" $20 off coupon and figured it was worth a shot to see if they would apply it to the order I already placed. They did. Then I called them again after I got shipping confirmation because I noticed one of the part numbers was different than what I originally ordered - 23241465 was now 23351794. They confirmed that the parts were interchangable. Still not sure what that's all about, like if 23351794 is the new part number or what, but as far as I can tell it's the correct mirror. If you order from gmpartsdirect, create an account with items in your cart, and then hang out for a minute. You'll probably get an email with a coupon. I ordered everything on 05/07, it shipped (standard shipping) on 05/10 and arrived 05/16.

Here are a bunch of links

Mirrors ($478.28 ea.):

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/23241465or http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/23351794

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/23241467

Harnesses ($81.72 ea.):

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/23171564

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/23171567

This video made getting the door panels off (and more importantly back on) pretty easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpvoVKfqLCE

This video was also helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B8Rkca1RaE

This is the trim removal kit I used:

http://www.amazon.com/Removal-Strong-Fastener-Removers-Included/dp/B01C4FHM1S

I ordered it on May 11, but it's now showing unavailable. This is the same kit, but doesn't include the fastener removers:

http://www.amazon.com/Panel-Removal-Tool-pcs-Upholstery/dp/B00LUPOU1O

I ended up using the smaller fastener remover quite a bit, so I'd recommend picking one up. This is fancier than what came with my kit but should work:

http://www.amazon.com/Fastener-Remover-Stainless-Chrome-Plated/dp/B00XCLLHCY

This topic compares the DL3s and DQS from the driver's perspective:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/180407-comparison-between-standard-dl8-and-s4odpn-towing-mirrors

I wasn't sure how the big mirrors were going to look on a stock 1/2 ton with no level or lift. Like maybe they'd look ridiculously oversized or something. I found a bunch of pictures on here, but it was kind of hard to tell. Now that they're on, I like the way they look just fine, and the extra visibility is awesome. I'll probably go into the settings and disable the reverse tilt feature because the lower convex mirrors show way more of my curved driveway than the tilted mirrors ever did, and my driveway is long enough that the tilt times out before I reach the end anyway. I'm excited to see how well they work pulled out with our Airstream next weekend.

Someone here mentioned the trade off with big camper mirrors is that you end up with somewhat limited forward visibility. So far I haven't noticed this being an issue, but I can see how I might need to look closer for pedestrians at crosswalks. I always felt like the DL3s created a bit of a forward blind spot due to basically being an extension of the A pillar, especially when making a tight left turn. The other thing that is going to take some getting used to, is that the mirrors react to bumps and rough pavement more than the DL3. I hesitate to say they "shake", but they definitely move. I think it's just a physics thing with them sticking out further. If I grab them at the base and wiggle them, they move the whole truck, so it's not that they're loose.

One last thing and I'll stop rambling: For those of you that have done this upgrade, have you had any issues with the turn signal brightness referenced in this TSB? I haven't driven at night yet so I don't know if it will be a problem. I can tell that the turn signal LEDs are not diffused the way they were on the smaller mirrors.

http://gm.oemdtc.com/3681/driver-outside-wide-load-mirror-turn-signal-too-bright-2015-chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra

Do you know if GM will honor the warranty despite these being added after the fact? Think I'd work with a dealership for the warranty or contact gmpartsdirect to see if they'll send me the new mirror glass (23444110)? I'd rather not spend an extra $71 if I don't have to. Maybe this is the reason the mirror I got had a different part number – it might already have that glass installed. We'll see.

Thanks to those of you here that have posted their experience, opinions, videos and images. I'm not sure I'd have tackled this without these 84 pages of messages.

VTgOnMI.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if the wire harnesses for the OEM will work with aftermarket mirrors as well?

I bought these https://www.amazon.com/Scitoo-2015-2016-Silverado-2014-2016-Mirrors/dp/B01MAUTYYK/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1483398804&sr=1-5&keywords=2015+gmc+2500+tow+mirrors

I only had power heated, no lights.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

havin a very hard time trying to find an answer here

i have the standard dl8 mirrors. only adjust and heat. do i actually have any options here for tow mirrors?

it seems most guys goin to tow mirrors already have LTZ trims

thanks guys....

i have the standard dl8 mirrors. only adjust and heat. do i actually have any options here for tow mirrors?

thanks guys....

There are several of us here that have successfully converted from DL8 Mirrors to DL3 Mirrors using a customized harness.

Please see this thread for details.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/190736-2016-silverado-lt-dl8-to-dl3-mirror-conversion-finally-complete-3/page-6?hl=dl8%20to%20dl3%20conversion

In a nutshell, you can have power fold mirrors without being on LTZ/HC/SLT trims. For those of us that have completed the upgrade, you will need the Power Folding Switch, DL3 Mirrors, and a custom harness that is pinned out for the options you need.

Towing Mirrors = A custom harness that has the Courtesy Lamps, Park Lamps, Turn Signals, pinned out correctly.

DL3 Mirrors - A custom harness that has Turn Signals, Puddle Lamps pinned out correctly.

What I have found is that you can modify the standard DL8 Harness, add the needed circuits to make this work. What you'll need to verify is the door jamb connector with the connector removed to see how your truck is pinned. In the earlier postings of this retrofit, there is mention about needing new door harnesses, possible BCM Calibration, possible RZY harness.

I have done several custom harnesses for members who have had success in upgrading from DL8 to DL3 mirrors and would like to expand this to towing mirrors.

The problem is... I have not delved into a harness build for towing mirrors (since I don't own them) and don't know what the BCM Calibration actually does or if it even affects those of us non LTZ/HC/SLT trims. I think the BCM Calibrations changes/updates the window switches and the Serial Data Bus info for Seat Memory.

I am almost half tempted to buy cheap after market tow mirrors for the sake of research for those here in the LT/SLE trim level.

Hope this helps.

There are several of us here that have successfully converted from DL8 Mirrors to DL3 Mirrors using a customized harness.

Please see this thread for details.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/190736-2016-silverado-lt-dl8-to-dl3-mirror-conversion-finally-complete-3/page-6?hl=dl8%20to%20dl3%20conversion

In a nutshell, you can have power fold mirrors without being on LTZ/HC/SLT trims. For those of us that have completed the upgrade, you will need the Power Folding Switch, DL3 Mirrors, and a custom harness that is pinned out for the options you need.

Towing Mirrors = A custom harness that has the Courtesy Lamps, Park Lamps, Turn Signals, pinned out correctly.

DL3 Mirrors - A custom harness that has Turn Signals, Puddle Lamps pinned out correctly.

What I have found is that you can modify the standard DL8 Harness, add the needed circuits to make this work. What you'll need to verify is the door jamb connector with the connector removed to see how your truck is pinned. In the earlier postings of this retrofit, there is mention about needing new door harnesses, possible BCM Calibration, possible RZY harness.

I have done several custom harnesses for members who have had success in upgrading from DL8 to DL3 mirrors and would like to expand this to towing mirrors.

The problem is... I have not delved into a harness build for towing mirrors (since I don't own them) and don't know what the BCM Calibration actually does or if it even affects those of us non LTZ/HC/SLT trims. I think the BCM Calibrations changes/updates the window switches and the Serial Data Bus info for Seat Memory.

I am almost half tempted to buy cheap after market tow mirrors for the sake of research for those here in the LT/SLE trim level.

Hope this helps.

helped a TON man. big big thanks. and good God that just isnt worth it seeing all of that work

kind of a shame

helped a TON man. big big thanks. and good God that just isnt worth it seeing all of that work

kind of a shame

It was a lot of work but helped me learn a lot about these mirrors and circuits. I was also at a point of no return when I starting hacking at my stock DL8 Harnesses. So I HAD to make my DL3 Harness work.

It is MUCH easier (and less circuits to add) to modify the DL8 Harness that our trim levels come it.

As a matter of fact, I'm doing some testing on my theories now.

thanks guys....

Here is a video I made today testing and confirming my theory that for us LT/SLE owners that have Standard DL8 Mirrors that want Power Folding - Towing Mirrors AND have functional Turn Signals, Cargo Lamps, Running/Park Lamps... It can be done! No BCM required for me.

I don't own Towing Mirrors and don't intend on getting some, but this might help those that may want to upgrade.

2016 Silverado, LT, CCSB, 5.3L.

Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/198278855

Nice video. DM me info. I can refer a ton of customers to you as I come across them often.

PM sent. Let me know if you received it.

While the vehicle is running, has anyone experienced their passenger cargo lamps not fully illuminating after the tow mirror upgrade? I added all the required harnesses and the cargo lamps have no problem switching on when the truck is not running. Oddly, if I press on the brake while the truck is running, the cargo light will fully illuminate. Also, if I rapidly press the cargo lamp switch on/off I can also get the lamp to illuminate on occasion. Probably 1 out of 15 times. I plan on getting a meter to test the circuits, but wanted to check here first in case someone already solved this. Thanks!

2014 Sierra SLT

I have a 2015 2500HD LT manufactured 3/2015. It is a AVF minus A45 and came with DPN mirrors. The truck also had the 23171572 & 23171566 harnesses. I am switching to DSQ mirror due to garage door opening clearance. I was sold various harnesses and door switches which were promised to convert to powerfold. I spent 12 hours removing door panels, installing & uninstalling and more research. Finally, Pgamboa came to my rescue. All I needed was the correct drivers side switch. The truck was wired correctly from the plant. I put in GM# 23154702 and everything is good. A huge shout out to Pgamboa. He has done 100s of hours of research on the subject. He also has rewired harnesses to work in other situations.

I have a 2015 2500HD LT manufactured 3/2015. It is a AVF minus A45 and came with DPN mirrors. The truck also had the 23171572 & 23171566 harnesses. I am switching to DSQ mirror due to garage door opening clearance. I was sold various harnesses and door switches which were promised to convert to powerfold. I spent 12 hours removing door panels, installing & uninstalling and more research. Finally, Pgamboa came to my rescue. All I needed was the correct drivers side switch. The truck was wired correctly from the plant. I put in GM# 23154702 and everything is good. A huge shout out to Pgamboa. He has done 100s of hours of research on the subject. He also has rewired harnesses to work in other situations.

Bigskyrik, glad we were able to get things figured out.

In order for me to help anyone with the upgrade, I express the importance of the Vehicle Acceptability for Retrofit guide. Continued messages back and forth, photos of the different connectors, all help us get there.

With your help and patience, we were able to identify and confirm that you did indeed already have the harness for your upgrade.

For anyone else looking to perform this type of upgrade, I wish it were easy to be able to say "this is exactly what you'll need" as you can see from the variances of each Truck Year/Trim/Options in the retrofit guide.

+1 for the collaborative effort!

if you have a fully loaded high country that comes stock with fully loaded mirrors (full power, puddle lamp, turn signal, power fold)

will a set of trailer mirrors simply plug in and work without buying new harnesses and doing a re-program ???

if you have a fully loaded high country that comes stock with fully loaded mirrors (full power, puddle lamp, turn signal, power fold)

will a set of trailer mirrors simply plug in and work without buying new harnesses and doing a re-program ???

Depends on the Year and Size - LD/1500 or HD/2500, also assuming it came with DL3 Mirrors and A45 (really need to photo of the glove box RPO List. Need to know if Chevy or GMC - Since you said High Country, I presume Silverado.

Depends on the Year and Size - LD/1500 or HD/2500, also assuming it came with DL3 Mirrors and A45 (really need to photo of the glove box RPO List. Need to know if Chevy or GMC - Since you said High Country, I presume Silverado.

its a 2014 silverado high country 1500 crew cab 5.3l

Archived