Which Axle 9.75 or 9.5

It will cost less than 1k. I love my 6.2L but i can't leave things alone i put a 2" leveling kit and 33" tires didn't really affect performance to much, but would like to get a little extra power. I will do the maintenance myself with a few buddies so only paying for parts and beer.

Do you have previous experience with changing gears? It's a pretty involved process. I've been around it enough to know that it's something left to a professional, haha. And, you're figuring the cost of a tune into your budget, right?

It will cost less than 1k. I love my 6.2L but i can't leave things alone i put a 2" leveling kit and 33" tires didn't really affect performance to much, but would like to get a little extra power. I will do the maintenance myself with a few buddies so only paying for parts and beer.

Have you priced them through GM yet? Last time I checked just a Ring an Pinion from the GM dealership was north of 800$ and you are going to need 2 plus the shim kits, crush sleeve, pinion seal and nut at the least. Bearings should all be good still. As far as I know no one makes an aftermarket set for 9.76".

Edit. The front you can go aftermarket for around 350; it is same as previous years.

Edited by CAtaylor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the pic. Unless they look identical, that's the 9.5" rear end. Mine looks exactly the same (also a 2014 6.2 3.42).

Could somebody with the NHT package post a pic of what the 9.76" looks like?

I think you (and I) have the 9.76 axle... I talked to a product rep from Detroit. They said all the 6.2s had 9.76. Not sure of the difference in looks of the 9.76 and the 9.5. More pics would be great.

Edited by DCOX

This is interesting I was just under mine and I have a 6.2l 3.73 with NHT. I know I have the 9.76 it was on my build sheet. I was looking because I wanted a new differential cover from PML.

aa44c22c88aa4eb26d947c3995e3cfa7.jpg

Differential is marked with:

R9652

12 bolt

I have looked high and low for a differential cover without success.

Edited by sugarjohnson

I suspect the 9.76 and 9.5 are one and the same with exception of the ring/pinion set. AAM manufactures the axle assembly for GM, on it's website it lists the same carrier #40090728 for both 9.5 (3.42/3.73/4.10) and 9.76 (3.23/3.42/3.73). Both axle assemblies use the same pinion seal. Gear sets are different part numbers though. Just a guess, the 9.76 is using a HD gear set with a slightly wider tooth on the ring gear to increase contact area.

Wow, so they do look exactly the same. Given all the advertising of the 9.76" GM does I was sort of thinking it would be a beefier housing, maybe larger axles, etc. But if the housing is the same, carriers are the same, bearings are the same, etc, it's really not all that much of an upgrade.

Either way I think this is good news for those looking to swap gears as I would assume the 4.10's AAM now makes should work in either axle. Hopefully anyway.

• 1 month later...

Are their any visual differences we could look for? Some of you guys with post some pics and if you have max tow and 6.2 or 5.3????

But according to the response... all 6.2 and only the 5.3 with max tow.

Don't have a pic of it, but on the web from the pinion to the axle tube on pass side it will say 9.50 or 9.76 in the casting.