heated seats

im curious about heated seats because if you pull my radio bezel there is wiring already there for heated seats but the bezel is obviously wrong since i dont have the buttons... but do these seats have elements? or is the wiring in the seat to hook up GM factory elements and get a new bezel and buttons?

Here's what I have found out so far. The dash and primary floor wiring is there. That's about it. You need elements, a control module for each seat, and the correct wiring harness for the seat. There are at least 6 different seat harnesses listed, depending on options.

I am working through this project, SLOWLY. So far I have the dash bezel and buttons (bought cheap from a totaled '14; new online these parts run about $200), and the elements (bought from gmwholesaledirect for about $200 for all 4). I'm getting ready to order the control modules (about $25 each), but I'm going to pull my seats first and confirm which harness is there. I'll then order the correct harness if needed. The harnesses are about $45 - $50 each. SO if you go the "new parts" route, you're looking at about $500 - $600, and labor / time to install.

And at that point, I still don't expect the heaters to work. The dash switches interface with the BCM to control the temp, and remote start options. So at that point I will have several options.

1. Take it to the dealer and ask them to get it working. BCM update? Don't know. I doesn't sound like anyone has had any luck with dealers helping change the BCM programming on these trucks.

2. Take it to the dealer and "play dumb". "I don't know, they just quit working". Lol! That one is a long shot.

3. Have someone (GTPprix?) program the BCM to turn them on. This is probably the best bet.

4. Modify the stock switches to run without the BCM. Possible, but the most difficult of the options. Will require some 'reverse engineering' of the switches.

5. Put the stock bezel back on and use aftermarket switches. This is probably the easiest, as the elements are all simply 2 wires (+ and -) . You may have to bypass the control module, though.

Going the last route (5), there would be NO reason to use OEM parts, because you lose the stock buttons, the only "visible" piece of the project. You should just buy a $100 set of seat heaters, that probably work much better, and be done.

But I'm not happy unless I'm hacking something, so I'm continuing on this path. And I got a SMOKING deal on my truck, so I don't mind throwing some money at it on things like this.

I'll post my success / failures as I go along. lol!.

Good luck!

Here is a tip for guys that want heated seats so bad. Just had a '14 impala in the shop last week. Had aftermarket seat heaters installed (which I did not know at the time). The car had a persistent SIR light on. Could not re-zero the passenger presence system. Ended up going back to the shop that installed them and they had to move the lower heater so it only heated about 6" near the front of the seat. They didn't do anything wrong with the original install but the passenger presence system is VERY fussy.

One more thing. The dealer can only program the BCM, or other modules, by VIN. If your truck did not come with an option, don't blame the dealer. I fully understand your desire to mod but there is only so much that can be done by a dealer and programming other than by VIN generally cannot be done. Having said that, could you program a BCM using another VIN? Yes, but God knows the consequences. Feelin' lucky? All these modules talk to each other and do verification processes. If something goes wrong YOU are on the hook to straighten it all out.

installing accessories in a vehicule that everything is only communication and not only real switch is really harder than installing accessories in a vintage car

the way i see my futur heat seat is a way different of your

i won't try to make them working with bcm

i bought the switch yet and i opened them .........i unsold everything and keep only led and the "main switch" .... otherwise i removed the electronic circuit inside

i need a small resistance for the led and the switch act now as a switch ( i mean it let passing voltage or not )

each seat will have his own relay .

for my remote starter i also connect the heat mirror to the heat seat ( with a diode to avoid powering mirror when i switch on the seat )

so this way if i remote start my truck , all heat seat will warm

this way , all the system will be independant of truck except the interconnection with heat mirror but only in one direction

i can also add a timer to avoid seat working for nothing if powered by accident

a link to show the timer i may use or something similar

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/85524/SOLID-STATE-OFF-DELAY-TIMER/

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I have found out so far. The dash and primary floor wiring is there. That's about it. You need elements, a control module for each seat, and the correct wiring harness for the seat. There are at least 6 different seat harnesses listed, depending on options.

I am working through this project, SLOWLY. So far I have the dash bezel and buttons (bought cheap from a totaled '14; new online these parts run about $200), and the elements (bought from gmwholesaledirect for about $200 for all 4). I'm getting ready to order the control modules (about $25 each), but I'm going to pull my seats first and confirm which harness is there. I'll then order the correct harness if needed. The harnesses are about $45 - $50 each. SO if you go the "new parts" route, you're looking at about $500 - $600, and labor / time to install.

And at that point, I still don't expect the heaters to work. The dash switches interface with the BCM to control the temp, and remote start options.

I would wonder if it would just plug in and work with all the components there. I mean you can add power fold mirrors and the switches and it will work without programming and powerfold was not an option on my truck but all the wiring was there. I cant wait to see what happens

• 1 month later...

Archived