Rear leaf springs noise

Same problem with my '15 HC 6.2 8-speed and only 1400 miles. Read all the post replies and appears there has to be a manual repair

or replacement to correct the spring problem(s) not grease. If any common denominator mine was built Jan/15 in Mexico. I'd think

GM would be on this problem like stink on s**t instead of stonewalling with replies of "operates as designed by the engineers".

Have owned many Chevys (like new one every couple years) and never a problem like this. If in fact the re-torqueing of the 8 u-bolts

corrects the problem I would think this to be a high priority safety recall. If GM wants our return business they better listen to us.

I checked every bolt I could reach yesterday. All were tight yet my truck still clunks somewhere in the rear end. Ill take it back in for a third time to see if the dealer can fix it. If not, I guess Im going truck shopping. I love this truck but I cant stand noises, especially when I cant pin point where its coming from and get it corrected.

I have been having clunking sounds coming from the rear of my truck in slow turns and backup turns. My truck is at the dealer as I write this. They first replaced the right read axle in the read end, the they replaced the main carrier in the rear end. Did not stop the noise, the told me today GM is having them replace the leaf springs, won't come in until next Tuesday. I will post back to let all know the out come.

Ronnie

Yea, I had my 2015 in yesterday at the dealer and when I took the service advisor on a ride he knew exactly what it was. He said that GM is aware of the issue but they do not have a fix for it yet. He said they (the dealer) has had many complaints on this and they have escalated this issue to the zone and district managers. So I guess we are just out of luck until GM resolves yet another issue on these trucks!

Yea, I had my 2015 in yesterday at the dealer and when I took the service advisor on a ride he knew exactly what it was. He said that GM is aware of the issue but they do not have a fix for it yet. He said they (the dealer) has had many complaints on this and they have escalated this issue to the zone and district managers. So I guess we are just out of luck until GM resolves yet another issue on these trucks!

Wow, that's comforting. I guess it's a good thing their engineers didn't work on the space program, what with being stumped over a spring.

As promised, the dealer replaced both read leaf springs on my 2015 Silverado LT Dbl Cab Z71. I had the service manager ride with me as I made several tight turns forward and reverse and no more clunking noise from the read of my truck. I have only 5500 miles on it and as I mentioned in an earlier post, they tried replacing the right rear axle and the main carrier barring in the rear end first. GM told them some steps to test and determined that was the problem and shipped the dealer the new springs. It is fixed, I hope it last more than 5000 miles. This problem seemed to start after the first oil change, lifting the truck and revering the strain on the springs caused the noise to start. When I took it in to the dealer, I told them I would not take it back until fixed, they gave me a loaner to drive until it was fixed. Hope this helps you other truck owners. Thanks Smith Chevrolet for getting it fixed.

Just wanted to chime in since i found this forum yesterday after being frustrated with the horrible rear end squeak on my 2014 Sierra 1500 Z71. Yesterday was the fourth trip to the dealer for this issue. The first trip resulted in the dreaded "could not duplicate" BS! Second trip they heard it, found the TSB, ordered the "special grease" and performed the remainder of the TSB after it came in. Third trip was about 2000 miles after the grease was applied, and again "could not duplicate" but re-greased just to make me happy. It's been about 5500 miles since that and I just couldn't take it any more, and even my wife commented on how sh!tty it sounded and a $45k vehicle with 19k miles should not do it. This last trip resulted in another "could not duplicate" and that's when I threw up the BS flag. Dealer put in a call to GM tech support and I got a call today saying they're going to replace both leaf springs, shackles, and bolts. Now I have to wait for parts to arrive. Luckily my dealer has been pretty good and helpful about it overall. Hopefully this is the last time it goes in for this.

Just wanted to thank the members who've pushed GMs buttons to get something done.

I'll update after new parts are installed and I get miles on the truck in the cold/rain.

Just FYI - Dealer agreed I had an issue........ and replaced both springs and shocks All was well for a 9 months or so, but the sounds are starting to come back. I even added the leaf spring clamps... which actually seemed to help more with the shifting and clunking..

This truck bums me out. Everytime I see a new issue posted here I think, well I guess I got lucky. Sure enough I eventually run into each of these issues eventually.

Noticed my rear springs squeaking yesterday for the first time.

well i just came from dealer and they replaced leaf springs. still have noise not as bad as it was with 8k on old ones but still noticable. I will say dealer did everything they could, but gm is not giving any solutions to the problem, they are still same exact leaf as came on truck new- no redesign from ones they replaced. they have a lot of problems that i wish they would of fixed before they sent these trucks to the market. i dont like saying this but i should of stayed with toyota, they are way ahead of gm on many levels, but i just got caught up in the new bodystyle.

well i just came from dealer and they replaced leaf springs. still have noise not as bad as it was with 8k on old ones but still noticable. I will say dealer did everything they could, but gm is not giving any solutions to the problem, they are still same exact leaf as came on truck new- no redesign from ones they replaced. they have a lot of problems that i wish they would of fixed before they sent these trucks to the market. i dont like saying this but i should of stayed with toyota, they are way ahead of gm on many levels, but i just got caught up in the new bodystyle.

I kinda feel the same way. I'm not totally unhappy but yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

Just left gmc service for a clunking noise in rear suspension , this was the fourth visit for this problem and they have no idea how to fix it so the service advisor tried to tell me this was a normal characteristic of these trucks, what bullshit. I give up on this pos truck.also experiencing a squeak in the brake pedal, they said they lubed the pedal guess what it still squeaks . Will never buy another gm product again. Bad products even worse service.