thetruck454's "I beat cancer '15 build"

thetruck454

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

Yea I did. Easy to put on without taking the wheel off.

Awesome! Got the same ones and they've been on mine for over 6 years and absolutely no issues.

Patiently awaiting her de-chroming. Hope to get the bumpers to a shop to sandblast the chrome and color match them once I get another free weekend.

IMG_20150421_175339472_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150421_175025673.jpg

If your painter knows what he is doing, he shouldn't need the chrome to be gone to paint over it. I had it done twice on the same truck(b/c I hit a deer)and even the paint that was on the chrome at impact did not even chip off easily. Just a thought...

If your painter knows what he is doing, he shouldn't need the chrome to be gone to paint over it. I had it done twice on the same truck(b/c I hit a deer)and even the paint that was on the chrome at impact did not even chip off easily. Just a thought...

The place I had the bed line'd at said the same thing. They are a body shop/linex dealer and have a primer that they use underneath linex on polished aluminum or chrome that he said "the stuff is so toxic and hurts to work with it, but it will stick to anything". He convinced me to have him use that and not take the chrome off.me off.

More progress this weekend. Took the front and rear bumpers off to get color matched and put on the black bow tie. Might I add whoever designed the rear bumper and/or bed shout be shot, drawn, and quartered. We had to loosen the eight bed bolts and shift the bed because the rear bumper brackets would not fit out between the frame rails and the bed. Contrary to what I thought, the front bumper was much easier to remove.

IMG_20150502_163539996.jpgIMG_20150503_181442546.jpg

Took the tow mirrors apart to get them colormatched

IMG_20150502_174555013.jpgIMG_20150502_201039228.jpg

Got the black mirror trim, black door handles, and black door molding on. The EGR molding is hollow inside and if you space it right so you only have to remove the old adhesive on the ends because the EGR molding fits over it. Also I was able to use my fingernails to pick the adhesive off the door and then used alcohol pads and microfiber to polish it away. Bought a 3M adhesive remover wheel and didn't even need it.

IMG_20150503_164319131.jpg

A word of advice when replacing the window trim, use painters tape in the spots below to protect the paint as the first door I did I put some tiny, tiny scuffs in the paint. They should buff out no problem though

IMG_20150503_134350977.jpg

Here is how messy the work bay in my garage got, I had to clean it all up before I was done tonight because my OCD wouldn't let me walk past it all week till I worked on the truck again.

IMG_20150502_174628753.jpg

Looking good man!

I like those storage compartments in the box...I've thought about getting those too...is there a decent amount of space in them?

I went to install the TRS Silverado spec HID's with H11B bulbs and hit a speed bump. The bulbs barely clear the dust cover, with the connector plugged in the dust cover doesn't even come close to seating. So far I'm not very impressed with the TRS kit. First they sent me the wrong color bulb, then they sent me the correct color, but the wrong socket, now this problem. I emailed TRS to see what they have to say, I didn't just fight cancer to be stopped by this crap :sigh: . :banghead:

IMG_20150511_210248374.jpg

More progress today. Got the color matched pieces on the front end and replaced the chrome fog light bezels with black. Call me crazy, but I actually like the chrome around the headlights so I'll probably leave it. I can't wait to get rid of the stock wheels. I just need to go get the tire/wheels I bought mounted and balanced so I can put them on.

IMG_20150513_210346796.jpgIMG_20150513_210543597.jpg

Archived