Does diet and excercise affect your pistol marksmanship?

• 4 weeks later...

That's a silly question IMO.

What you eat daily, and your exercise routine, if you have one will not and does not affect your accuracy with any firearm.

The only way to get better results is to learn proper technique and shooting fundamentals. Lifestyles has absolutely nothing to do with how well you can shoot, that all comes down to fundamentals.

You can decrease your accuracy at the range by elevating your heart rate immediately before shooting. That can simulate a high stress situation that you may encounter one day but other than that......

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

That's a silly question IMO.

What you eat daily, and your exercise routine, if you have one will not and does not affect your accuracy with any firearm.

The only way to get better results is to learn proper technique and shooting fundamentals. Lifestyles has absolutely nothing to do with how well you can shoot, that all comes down to fundamentals.

You can decrease your accuracy at the range by elevating your heart rate immediately before shooting. That can simulate a high stress situation that you may encounter one day but other than that......

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Well exercise can with rifle shooting. If you have a weak supporting arm you won't last too long holding the rifle.
  • Like 1

Well exercise can with rifle shooting. If you have a weak supporting arm you won't last too long holding the rifle.

With proper technique, a small child and hold a rifle steady for hours.... Being efficient with any firearm is all about fundamentals, strength really has nothing to do with it.

Come on Chris!

If I remember correctly, you did the great and honorable deed of serving in our military, didn't they teach you guys that stuff in firearms? (I haven't had the pleasure of being in the service served so I am not aware of the firearms training you guys may get) Being strong may help a little but you get the technique down and your set!

With proper technique, a small child and hold a rifle steady for hours.... Being efficient with any firearm is all about fundamentals, strength really has nothing to do with it.

Come on Chris!

If I remember correctly, you did the great and honorable deed of serving in our military, didn't they teach you guys that stuff in firearms? (I haven't had the pleasure of being in the service served so I am not aware of the firearms training you guys may get) Being strong may help a little but you get the technique down and your set!

Your memory is correct, but the shooting i did was just annual qualifications. M16A2. Was only like 150 rds. I was a aircraft hydraulic tech.
  • Like 1

I would say yeah a healthier diet and stronger muscles will lead to a better experience in anything.

Think about how those bad asses that do biathlons ski for 13-26 miles with a couple stops to shoot. One stop standing and one stop prone. One of my favorite olympic events to watch. Takes some strength and hella focus. You don't want to mess up, as it results in penalty skiing.

• Like 1

I would say yeah a healthier diet and stronger muscles will lead to a better experience in anything.

Think about how those bad asses that do biathlons ski for 13-26 miles with a couple stops to shoot. One stop standing and one stop prone. One of my favorite olympic events to watch. Takes some strength and hella focus. You don't want to mess up, as it results in penalty skiing.

Agreed. That's why the young fight the wars of the old.

But then, standing calmly at the range and shooting paper probably won't change much if you're Joe-bag-o-donuts or a Tri-athlete.

Edited by spurshot

Spent 23 years in the military, Security Forces. Carried the 9mm, 38 revolver, M16 rifle, M203 grenade launcher, and the M60 machine gun throughout my entire career. Fired thousands of rounds, expert shot with all the weapons (although the M60 and M203 are like horseshoes, just need to get close). My favorite was the grenade launcher, I could consistently lob a round through a window at 100 yards.

Fundamentals in everything are important, but diet and exercise does affect marksmanship. We were required to run and jump to get the heart rate up before firing, you did not qualify with the weapon if you didn't maintain an exercise program.

• Like 2

While strength isn't a requirement for shooting, it doesn't hurt to have some. Also just because someone is dieting and exercising doesn't mean they are strength training. A good cardiovascular system can improve shooting, not as well as fundamentals and training, but every little bit helps. Exercise lowers the overall heart rate, relieves stress, releases chemical stuffs, slower breathing rate, etc. All good things to have when shooting, especially long distance.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Have you ever watched shooting competitions, some of the best shooters in the world are out of shape and old. Physical health would play a role in shooting competitions that require movement, however. But, standing still and shooting a paper target would not be effected.

• 1 month later...

I will say no.

I shoot quite a bit and some of the best handgun shooters I know are older and not in particularly good shape. Handgun shooting comes down to fundamentals and technique which can only be gained by putting lots of rounds down range.

I will say no.

I shoot quite a bit and some of the best handgun shooters I know are older and not in particularly good shape. Handgun shooting comes down to fundamentals and technique which can only be gained by putting lots of rounds down range.

^^ this ^^

The best action game shooters (IPSC, 3-gun, etc.,) shooters are in good physical condition. Skeet, trap, etc, are a fat bunch. Bullseye match handgun are an old bunch and are an example of adapting the rules to help keep the largely aging/poor vision participants competitive by allowing optics into the rules . Benchrest guys can be a fairly old bunch.

Im getting to what many would call older age, my early 60s. Ive always been an avid shooter of rifle, handgun and shotgun sports. I would call myself above average , but not gifted. The gifted shooter has a central nervous system that works faster than the average person. These are the Jerry Miculek, George Digweed, Rob Leatham, and pro athletes from other sports that require exceptional hand-eye coordination. Ive seen a pro baseball player pick up a shotgun and shoot better than most shooters with decades of shooting. These people see and react faster than us regular folk. They see things in slow motion compared to average people. You cant train this. You either have it or not. You can only train what to expect and what to do.

Edited by spurshot

To me any time you improve your health it will have a positive effect on your life no matter what you do. It just makes sense.

Feed you body quality fuel and exercise to stay fit and it can only improve your life. Steadier hand, better eye sight, lower blood pressure, stronger muscle tone, how can this not help?

Feed you vehicle junk fuel, don't add aftermarket mods and it will not preform better. Kind of the same concept.