Scan Tool or Dealer?

Hi all,

My engine light, parking break light and ABS light are all on. The engine light only recently after a car wash, although there has been ample time for everything to dry out.

I know that none of the problems are serious, and just need some tinkering that I will try to do over the summer. I am not a god awful mechanic, but I do not regularly work on vehicles (especially complicated stuff).

Given the lights, I was going to take my vehicle in to get diagnosed, but they would like to charge me $130 for the first hour (minimum) and then the same amount for ever hour thereafter. As a result I've had a bit of a think about getting my own scan tool for about $200-$300 but am not sure if it is worth the investment, since I don't know exactly how accurate these things are. The way the dealer makes it sound it seems as if the code reader really only acts as a hint, as it was already scanned once and they told me that the ABS light could be from anywhere down the line and I should just start by replacing sensor, (although my vehicle was in to just get a bunch of other work done).

Anyways, was wondering what you guys thought about this. If you think the code reader is a good option, what do you reccomend? I don't even know where to start... it's an 07' new style body Sierra 1500 LTE Standard Cab with no major bells or whistles. I'm also thinking there is a chance that there is something wrong with my BCM (often associated with the brake light/ABS problem) and since I'm also having a residual accesory power problem (new door latch assembly on the way fingers crossed that fixes that one).

Cheers guys.

Tha Matco scanner that I linked does abs for under $300.

I have no doubt thats what the marketing literature says, but have you actually confirmed that it will scan the ABS system on GM trucks? I've not seen a scanner for that price that will do ABS. Several of the reviews on the link you provided even mention this fact., although none specifically say anything about GM trucks. While you could be right, id definitely verify that before i bought it.

To the OP, IMO (for what its worth), if you are intending to do serious diagnostic work, none of the scanners mentioned previously do what needs to be done. Only VERY high end scanners typically handle ABS systems and the BCM, and even then, you need to be careful which one you are considering. Only a Tech II will handle all of what you could want on a GM truck. Dont bother checking the price if you dont want a heart attack.

Considering that you are not that familiar with OBDII diagnostic work, it probably makes the most sense to either take it to a shop with a scanner that can read these subsystems (dealer or good independent shop) or get it scanned for free as was mentioned earlier. If you really want a scanner just to have around to check the check engine light that pop up from time to time, nothing wrong with the ones previously mentioned, but you dont need to spend that kind of money. Case in point, I have two scanners....an Innova 3160 that costs 220 dollars (looks and sounds an awful lot like that Matco) and an OBDLink LX that cost 70 dollars that interfaces with my android phone. I can read the exact same items and do the exact same things with the 70 dollar scanner and my phone that I can with the 220 dollar scanner and its a hell of a lot more convenient. I would consider the LX about as cheap as you want to go on a OBDII scanner and have it be good quality. Its by no means a Tech II, but thats not what I got it for.

Hi all,

My engine light, parking break light and ABS light are all on. The engine light only recently after a car wash, although there has been ample time for everything to dry out.

I know that none of the problems are serious, and just need some tinkering that I will try to do over the summer. I am not a god awful mechanic, but I do not regularly work on vehicles (especially complicated stuff).

Given the lights, I was going to take my vehicle in to get diagnosed, but they would like to charge me $130 for the first hour (minimum) and then the same amount for ever hour thereafter. As a result I've had a bit of a think about getting my own scan tool for about $200-$300 but am not sure if it is worth the investment, since I don't know exactly how accurate these things are. The way the dealer makes it sound it seems as if the code reader really only acts as a hint, as it was already scanned once and they told me that the ABS light could be from anywhere down the line and I should just start by replacing sensor, (although my vehicle was in to just get a bunch of other work done).

Anyways, was wondering what you guys thought about this. If you think the code reader is a good option, what do you reccomend? I don't even know where to start... it's an 07' new style body Sierra 1500 LTE Standard Cab with no major bells or whistles. I'm also thinking there is a chance that there is something wrong with my BCM (often associated with the brake light/ABS problem) and since I'm also having a residual accesory power problem (new door latch assembly on the way fingers crossed that fixes that one).

Cheers guys.

A scanner is useless without service information to follow the code ( after it's been cleared and comes back . == Hard code)

Some lights come on because of other lights as the system is disabled because it needs another system to run .... But it can't run because of a code , clear as mud I know ,

If you are not familiar on how things work , please read every " description and operation " of any code you pull up ,

Start at the beginning and read

Alldata . Com $30/yr

Edited by govtech4

Forgot to mention for you iOS guys out there, OBDLink MX Wifi speaks Apple for around 110 dollars. MX is android and windows phone is right at 100. if I were going to do it again, I'd get the MX so I could cover both (cough) Ford (cough) and GM. Looks like the MX may have additional GM features my LX does not have.

Also, Gov is right. Get a subscription to alldatadiy.com BUT DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE for it though. Do a search for discount codes and you can get a deal. For example, I got a two year sub for 13 dollars using code "springdiy" See what you can find for a deal here http://www.retailmenot.com/view/alldata.com

I believe it needs a real scanner for an ABS code. Like what a technician has. You could get a cheap one but I wouldn't want to shell out $380

The one that I posted does ABS and SRS. I am sure not as good as a factory scan tool. But take into consideration the difference between $200 and $5K or $6K. When you add the one that I posted to the cart the price is $205. 54. About $175 in savings. If you are interested there is a informative video also.

Edited by Duelin

Thanks all,

As was stated, clear as mud. Some believe that the 300$ scanner will do the ABS, others suggest that it will "do" it, only very poorly. It sounds like I don't really know what I am doing enough to warrant an investment in a good scanner. I think my best option for now is to buy a cheap scanner, as has been mentioned (since I think it is good to have for the future anyways so you can know if it's an emergency or not) and based on what I see decide if I will take it in to the dealer.

That Android App, does it require an internet connection to run? Up here in Canada (up by AK) we don't exactly have LTE everywhere...

OP,

There are code readers you can buy that don't cost hundreds and can be really helpful.

$130 is far too much to pay to have someone plug a code reader into your vehicle, the other charges you were quoted are also stealership nonsense.

ACTRON make several tools that will show you the code (both generic & what it means), allow reset/clear and display live data.

I have a cheap backup code reader for 'just in case' something goes wrong with my Snap-On tool. It's an Actron brand, I think the actual model number is CP9597, or something close to that. It is a nice little budget model and doesn't cost much, less than $100.

I also believe you may have been given some misleading information. You will not need any type of special information or anything like that to know what any codes that may show up mean. The tool spells it right out for you in plain English, very easy to understand.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Edited by BlackZ71Silverado

• 4 years later...