Are Front Windows Factory Tinted?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Factory tint have HEAT rejection? I just got my fronts tinted and when the sun in shining on the side of the truck, I can feel the warmth of the sun pretty easily thru the rear side windows, while I hardly notice it thru the front side windows.

Anyone who has Transitions lenses in their glasses know the GM windshield and side glass has UV blocker in them as the glasses don't darken inside the truck.

Outdoors, Transitions lenses automatically darken depending upon the amount of UV radiation present. The brighter the sun, the darkerTransitions lenses get. So, they help enhance the quality of your vision by reducing the sun's glare in different light conditions – on bright sunny days, on cloudy days and everything in between.

Transitions lenses are a great everyday solution for outdoor use, but there will always be times when a second pair of sunwear is beneficial. For instance, since extremely high temperatures can affect lens performance, Transitions lenses may not always get as dark as sunglasses. Also, since they are activated by UV exposure, most Transitions lenses don't work behind the windshield of a car (your windshield actually blocks UV rays).

Yes the windows in our trucks do contain some UVA and UVB blocking properties. But they are subpar at best. Basically auto manufacturers have regulations for the windshield and everything else is pretty lax. I just did a quick Google and found on a couple medical websites that most windshields are 50 spf which is good while the other windows are 20 spf or lower. This can be tested next time it's blistering hot outside by placing your hand on the vars dash and another on the door. You'll feel the difference in heat but even then both places will be piping hot. The best solution is to purchase ceramic tint or the clear tint.

Just look at the writing in the corner of your windows, it will tell you what percent it is tinted and if it has UV protection. My plain jane work truck even has a slight tint with some UV protection. My silverado says it blocks 18% on the front side windows and 70% on the cab and back window (same as a 30% tint). I put the legal limit on my front windows which is 35% in TN, combine that with the 82% factory tint then that actually makes them illegal (probably puts them around 33%). And according to TN tint law the rest of the truck can't be darker than 35% tint but the truck glass says it is 30% so go figure.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Just got mine done last week. 5% limo all around.

dang, asking for it aren't you?

What percentage is that and did you leave the back windows alone?

Yep left the back alone, had them match the back at 20. from the inside you can tell theyre different but its a perfect match from the outside

dang, asking for it aren't you?

haha i figure they are gonna make me peel it whatever the percentage is so may as well make it count lol ive been fined before in my 85 monte carlo,

$172.50 and 3 demerit points. insurance went up 50 dollars a month for my truck

haha i figure they are gonna make me peel it whatever the percentage is so may as well make it count lol ive been fined before in my 85 monte carlo,

$172.50 and 3 demerit points. insurance went up 50 dollars a month for my truck

Just because of tint..?

I've been pulled over multiple times and I have double 5 and 30 on the shield here in PA and the cops don't say a word

yup. here we have an yearly inspection and they say that facroy tint is even too much. and they say it wont pass inspection with tint so if thats true ill have to take it off

The amount of tint % varies from state to state. In MIchigan it is illegal to tint the front side windows at all.

Of course mine are tinted though :driving:

You can do a 4-inch strip along the top of the fronts still, unless it changed in the last three years. Not sure why you would or how you would make it look not stupid though.

Archived