2015 6.2l 8 speed

Needing some advice I have had my new truck about a week now and It has 700 miles on it 350 or so done by me. It seems to hunt for gears a lot when you take off from a light or any time you accelerate slowly. If you really get on it it downs shifts just fine and goes. Is this something in going to have to get used to because it's a 8 speed or should I be taking it in.

I just picked up my 6.2/8spd Silverado 2 weeks ago and have experienced the same thing. The tranny wants to always stay in a higher gear, I think it's just GM's tuning for mileage. I'm hoping someone comes out with a new tune to address this.

I've noticed that on take off, it decided rather to stay in gear or go back down to 1st gear or 2nd gear if..... when leaving a stop light you take off with a light foot and gradually increase throttle... If you give, lets say 10% throttle and keep it consistent (not throttling up or down when leaving a stop sign/light) it shifts quickly and shifts through gears properly.

If you give 10% throttle and as you initially move, you increase throttle to 20%, then increase throttle to 30%...well by the time you get into 30% throttle your putting a load on the engine that can't keep up with the gear that your in...so it needs to downshift to keep up with your gradual demand of throttle.

GM programming has the 6/8 speed transmission getting into high gear as soon as possible for fuel mileage reasons.

There's 8 gears - it's going to shift a lot. When I accelerate normally it just bangs the gears out, there's only like a 600rpm drop between gears, felt weird at first but that's how it's supposed to work.

Mine feels like an Allison, tranny is busy but why wouldn't it be, it has 8 gears to cycle through of which it has to find the perfect gear for the throttle position, rpm and torque values that the truck is currently producing... The high torque output of the 6.2 makes it ok to shift early, it doesn't have to wind out lik they use to with the 4LXX trannies. With that being said, does mine hunt? Yes but all seems normal for the driver input that it's responding to.

Archived