180 Thermostat Results (With Towing Data)

I had a 09 5.3 3.42 gears that would get hot when I towed in a lot of heat now I have a 15 6.2 8 speed 3.23 one thing I have noticed is that It did not come with the external air cooled transmission cooler like in my 5.3 it only has the one in the radiator I thought since it came with the z82 and z71 packages it came with one and does with the 5.3 I have not towed much in the heat yet so so far it's been fine so what is the difference in size of the NHT radiator and does the the NHT 6.2 8 speed come with the external transmission cooler ?

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Have a 2018 silverado 5.3 with the 6 speed & 308 rear. I pull a RV weight of 6000 loaded & have added a trans cooler for a 24000 gvw truck. The tranny has its own thermostat that i have reversed it via a utube vidio & runs much cooler easily 25 deg. My big concern is will this prevent the torque converter from locking up. At what temp does it lock up. Was told by the owner of a transmission shop 160 deg. He also said if lock up does not occur the trans could burn out the clutches. Have been told that one of the computers controls lock up & that happens when transmission temp has been reached. Is that lock up temp really 160 deg. What is the real deal

1 hour ago, Patrick H. said:

Have a 2018 silverado 5.3 with the 6 speed & 308 rear. I pull a RV weight of 6000 loaded & have added a trans cooler for a 24000 gvw truck. The tranny has its own thermostat that i have reversed it via a utube vidio & runs much cooler easily 25 deg. My big concern is will this prevent the torque converter from locking up. At what temp does it lock up. Was told by the owner of a transmission shop 160 deg. He also said if lock up does not occur the trans could burn out the clutches. Have been told that one of the computers controls lock up & that happens when transmission temp has been reached. Is that lock up temp really 160 deg. What is the real deal

Find a new trans shop. Mine works fully functional anything over 104 F. TCC works just fine. 

10 minutes ago, Patrick H. said:

thanks for the response flying fool. looks like you have a bike, me too. have two toys besides the 2018 sllverado. The 1st is a 2015 camaro SS & Number 2 is a 17 Can AM RT Limited. Live in Florida for the winter & the 1000 islands of new york in summer. Merry Christmas

i've since down sized from older sport bikes seems i spend too much time repairing old bikes, i now just run a street enduro these days best of both worlds.   congrats on the toys man! merry x-mas to you and everyone on here that helps out.