Headlights on 2015+ 2500HD update kit?

My 2016 Denali has factory HID headlights...fyi.

Can you prove it? Every window sticker says halogen under the exterior section. I have yet to see one actually have factory HIDs. Not calling you a liar by any means but I would like to see something as proof if you don't mind. I recently checked with the dealer again and still the same part numbers between 15 and 16.

Also we are talking 2500 or 3500 right?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You the man! Thanks for the quick response. Definitely keep us updated. I have seen even the dealership info stickers say HID but the real window sticker would say halogen. Always thought that was weird.

No worries. My buddy who has a 2015 was skeptical as well until I sent him the same picture. I test drove this exact truck three night ago....definitely has HID's. When I pick her up on Monday I'll snap pics of the headlamp setup.

I've been looking at the 2016 2500HD trucks online since reading this post. From what I can gather, all the Sierras are now HID projectors and the Silverados are still halogen projectors. Of course, the Silverado hasn't had the illumination issues with their headlamp setup like the Sierra has since redesign. Perhaps that's the reason for the change.

No worries. My buddy who has a 2015 was skeptical as well until I sent him the same picture. I test drove this exact truck three night ago....definitely has HID's. When I pick her up on Monday I'll snap pics of the headlamp setup.

Did you get the truck and did it in fact have factory HID's?

#PIT5374B: Headlight Performance (BCM Calibration and Bulbs) I just got this done. Dealer did it with no questions asked. Based on past interactions with this dealer, I was surprised.

I don't understand the science of light waves. Here are my observations

1) New bulbs are noticeably brighter. However the range (ie the distance they project light) does not appear to have improved. It seems like the light cast from the bulbs ends instead of lessening over distance. One at one distant there is light, the next complete darkness.

2) The light pattern is still much narrower than I would prefer. Did not expect this process to remedy this. Just another observation

2) My wife's 2010 enclave casts a brighter more spread out light pattern. Although these lights have a blue hue.

#PIT5374B: Headlight Performance (BCM Calibration and Bulbs) I just got this done. Dealer did it with no questions asked. Based on past interactions with this dealer, I was surprised.

I don't understand the science of light waves. Here are my observations

1) New bulbs are noticeably brighter. However the range (ie the distance they project light) does not appear to have improved. It seems like the light cast from the bulbs ends instead of lessening over distance. One at one distant there is light, the next complete darkness.

Thats the effect of the projectors....called "cutoff". It helps focus the light in a specific area and not bleed out to other areas.

2) The light pattern is still much narrower than I would prefer. Did not expect this process to remedy this. Just another observation

2) My wife's 2010 enclave casts a brighter more spread out light pattern. Although these lights have a blue hue.

Perhaps her Enclave has HID's.

I adjusted mine upward after the kit was installed as high as i dared and no one has flashed me so far. Last night I was on mountain roads in the rain and they worked fine :throwup:

Pic of the HID projector:

If you have time in the next week or so can you look to see a) what HID bulb GM used and b) where they mounted the ballasts?

I still find it weird the headlights are the same part number between 2015 and 2016. Would the GM supplier just swap the projector out for a higher quality part but keep the part number the same? Maybe they made a running year change to the HIDs but the part change isn't in the dealers parts manual yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any info on the 2016 2500/3500HD Sierra Denali HID headlight part number set up? Quite obvious they are HID. Saw one last week myself. Would like to know the cost of the GM parts to install on my 2015.5.

Archived