Headlights on 2015+ 2500HD update kit?

If you are experiencing the issue and the upgrade would fix your issue (they are supposed to check aim, for aftermarket parts, dirty/damaged lamps etc first) then yes it should be under your 3yr/36k body warranty. After that mileage point it would be a customer pay situation.

I see both of you have GMC but for future lookers of this thread, just want to remind again, 2014-2015 GMC 1500 and 2015 GMC HD only. Does not apply to 2014-2015 Chevy 1500 with halogen or 2015 Chevy HD.

Thank-you 15HDriver, I will check with my dealer(Canada) and reply back to you

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have experience with the Putco LED or any other similiar 9012 style LED system? I had installed a OPT7 in my Harley and love it however they are not making a replacement bulb for the 9012 bulb. I don't want to get into cutting and splicing or modifying the headlamp itself to retrofit a HID kit in. Would much rather prefer plug n play.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm curious if the new 2016 2500 HID system will be a direct replacement of our halogens. I prefer factory HID reliability over aftermarket kits.

yeah, in respect to HID headlights, nothing beats factory. Its even hard to find 4300K bulbs. most places sell 5500k and above.

I went to my local dealer today and their parts catalog indicates the headlight assembly is the same for 2016. I think someone at GMC screwed up writing HIDs on the 2016 website. If you look at window sticker's of 2016 Denalis around the country, you will see they still say halogen for the lights. I was really hoping we were able to upgrade to factory HID lights but it appears aftermarket is the only option.

I must have something different for stock headlights on my 2500 Silverado. They are standard bulbs, no HID stuff. I have to really watch for deer out here in rural road running and have no complaints. And I rarely use the road lamps, just the headlights. Oh, which reminds me.... I need to install the yellow film I got in to make the road lamps real fog lights. Have never found a yellow bulb that was ever worth the money.

I must have something different for stock headlights on my 2500 Silverado. They are standard bulbs, no HID stuff. I have to really watch for deer out here in rural road running and have no complaints. And I rarely use the road lamps, just the headlights. Oh, which reminds me.... I need to install the yellow film I got in to make the road lamps real fog lights. Have never found a yellow bulb that was ever worth the money.

All 2015 HD Chevy and GMC run a halogen bulb projector lamp. Silverado runs the high beam separate, reflector style, GMC runs the single bulb high/low with the projector housing (just like HID projectors, there is a shutter in the lamp).

After being told by my dealer yesterday that my headlights were the same a their other trucks so they must be okay (duh) I filed a complaint with the US DOT.

After being told by my dealer yesterday that my headlights were the same a their other trucks so they must be okay (duh) I filed a complaint with the US DOT.

LOL. The lighting is FMVSS compliant. Don't think its going to go too far filing that complaint. All the dealer can do (depending when the truck was built) is put the upgraded bulbs in.

Has anyone tried Silverstar bulbs instead of going to HIDs? What's the general opinion of Silverstars?

I installed Xenons in my HD Chevy 2500 and they are better. Not as good as HID but plugnplay- i installed 5800k bulbs similar to Silverstars.

Archived