I got rear ended again!!!

So I need some direction here fellers...

I bought my first brand new truck back in December. I managed 1700 miles before I got rear ended while sitting behind a school bus with the lights on(see a previous thread for photos on that one). Fast forward to 6800 miles and three weeks ago I was sitting at dead stop and got lit up from behind by an Impala going 50 mph who only managed to hit the brakes 15 feet away from my rear end. The impact knocked my frame out of square 3/4 of an inch from side to side, not to mention bedside, bumper hitch, etc but Ive already been through that on the other side 5k miles ago. Im still awaiting a verdict on whether or not they are going to replace the frame on the truck. If they manage to pull the frame back and call it "good" Im not going to be happy with that. A new frame would be my preference but that has its own set of gremlins..

Im looking for input on this preferably from someone who has experienced this. My gut is to ditch the truck and move on to a 2015 or 2016. More than likely Im not going to be able to absorb the bath I will take on this truck though. The whole situation sucks and it makes me sick thinking about it. Im still on this side of the grass and still walking so it could always be worse..although spending three days a week in PT to unlock my neck is getting old. I am already in motion on a diminished value claim, but I dont think that will make up the difference on a new one..

Sorry to hear that. I hope they total it cus a bent frame isn't good. That way get yourself a newer one or wait for the 16 and this time get one of those big steel bumpers

2014 Silverado 2WT CC Summit White 4.3L V6

DROPKICK Edition

IG: jorge_dropkick_rangel

In my opinion is what you want is for them to total the truck. I'm surprised they are even thinking about replacing the frame.most insurance companies don't the headache. I have sold parts for Ford for about 8 years and I have sold a few frames in my time their are always parts left over. Most of the ones I have sold in the past few years are to people that bought a low milage truck that was total for a deal and are doing swap themselves.

Hope that you neck gets a whole lot better. My hubby totaled his former car a few years ago. It was a beautiful car and the insurance adjuster thought that it was such a beautiful car that he didn't want to total it, but he left it up to us. I had one question for him. "If they repaired the vehicle would it have the same integrity to withstand another accident?" There was a long pause before he said no. At that point I told him to total it. The adjuster told me that no one had ever asked him that question. EMTs, paramedics, nurses and doctors have first hand experiences in dealing with the aftermath of car accidents.

This is why I love my truck. 5 star crash rating and I am big enough to be seen. With the way some people drive these days I don't want it to be an equal match when they cause the accident.

- Speak with an attorney. You don't necessarily need to retain them, but you can find one that will charge you for an hour of their time as a "consult" and then also be willing to be retained if you need them.

- Don't post ANY details about the incident here.

Hope you heal up well

I was hoping for a total also, but from what the adjuster told me is that the truck is too new and the value is too high. He said the repairs would need to exceed 80% of the value for a total. And FYI a frame itself is $3400.00 from GM...

I was hoping for a total also, but from what the adjuster told me is that the truck is too new and the value is too high. He said the repairs would need to exceed 80% of the value for a total. And FYI a frame itself is $3400.00 from GM...

That is true. A vehicle is considered totalled when repair costs and salvage value exceed the pre-accident ACV.

Goddamn. I would think replacing the frame would be way too costly. Think of the labor required to swap the frame out. Literally everything would have to be disconnected and reinstalled on the new frame. Like building a brand new truck. I would think the labor cost for that job would be at least 8-10 grand if not more.

And since your truck was already in an accident the value should be lower. Add on the cost of this repair and its gonna be close to the value of the truck I think.

They should just total it, but you know the damn bean counters. I would definitely hire an attorney to help you through this process. One that specializes in vehicle collision. If It was me, I wouldn't want to drive that truck again.

I know your a little of your pain since I was just in a collision 3 weeks ago. No frame damage, thank Goodness, but still a pain in the ass.

Make sure you get your loss of value money from their insurance, that will help offset the difference once you sell/ trade it.

- Speak with an attorney. You don't necessarily need to retain them, but you can find one that will charge you for an hour of their time as a "consult" and then also be willing to be retained if you need them.

- Don't post ANY details about the incident here.

Hope you heal up well

As an attorney, these two guys give some great advice that you should seriously consider following. (Not a Perry Mason attorney- lowly tax guy). Document every damn thing you can- I totaled my Tundra a couple of months ago and did the back-and-forth dance with the adjuster and provided receipts of tires, suspension, etc., and ended up getting $1,000 less than I paid for the truck 13 months and 30K miles earlier ($ does not include said new tires/ shocks/sway bar, etc.).

Have the insurance company get a couple of salvage bids. Re builders are paying big money for wrecked cars these days and rear-end hits are their favorites.

I'll bet the salvage bid comes back at 40-50% of the trucks book value or higher. That makes it easier to total out.

I handle auto claims for a living. First of most policies don't cover diminution in value. Next depending on the acv of the truck and what the repair costs and salvage values are will determine if it's a total or not. Frame replacements are commonly done. Find a good shop. This may not be what you want to hear but it's how things are done. I agree your truck is too new and worth too much to total out. Hiring an attorney won't change that. That's why I like handling first part claims. It's more black and white. Not as many gray areas as personal injury claims.

I don't blame you if you decide to get it fixed and then trade it. But it's up to you how you wish to utilize the insurance funds. Many times people get frustrated and upset because they don't take thetime to read their policy and know what it does or does not cover. Insurance is a heavily regulated industry.

I handle auto claims for a living. First of most policies don't cover diminution in value. Next depending on the acv of the truck and what the repair costs and salvage values are will determine if it's a total or not. Frame replacements are commonly done. Find a good shop. This may not be what you want to hear but it's how things are done. I agree your truck is too new and worth too much to total out. Hiring an attorney won't change that. That's why I like handling first part claims. It's more black and white. Not as many gray areas as personal injury claims.

I don't blame you if you decide to get it fixed and then trade it. But it's up to you how you wish to utilize the insurance funds. Many times people get frustrated and upset because they don't take thetime to read their policy and know what it does or does not cover. Insurance is a heavily regulated industry.

Even if he is not at fault, won't his insurance sue for diminished value? An attorney should be able to help with that I would think.

When my wife rear ended someone else we did not get it because we were at fault, but they ended up totaling the car. They told us it has to be 80% of the value it ended up being that because of all the electrical problems it had after they fixed the body.

Archived