Hood Release Rattle - 2015 Silverado

So it took awhile to figure out, and driving in some awkward positions, but I figured out where my faint rattle is coming from - it's the hood release lever under the steering column. It makes a very light rattle but it's persistent and regular on anything but the smoothest roads.

If anyone has a light rattle sound that seems to be coming from the steering column area, while driving apply pressure to the hood release lever and see if it stops. When I apply pressure it stops rattling.

Now how do I stop it permanently? I don't want to put tape over it or anything that would inhibit using the lever, because I check my oil often and don't want to deal with removing something.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have solved this. The rattle seems to be coming from the cable itself. It you shake the hood release cable it rattles like crazy. It seems to stop when you apply side pressure on it. I zipped tied my cable to a wire harness the keep pressure on it. You can see where I zip tied it in the picture below.

I did however notice if you tape the lower dash panel to the left of the hood release there is another similar sounding rattle that is coming from inside there. I'm not sure if I hear that when on the road or not though, because like I said when I applied pressure to the hood release lever the sound I was hearing did seem to stop. I'm gonna test this out for awhile and see if it helps. I'll let you guys know.

If I still hear something I may be looking for advice on how to remove that lower panel so I can get in there. Seems like there are two star screws holding it in but I'm sure there are some clips as well.

YES! Omg, this just started on my truck. And it's super annoying. I fixed it though. For me it only happened when it flips into V4 mode. I never heard it before my Corsa Exhaust. But I just zip tied the cable to some wire harnesses so that it does not rattle anymore. Seems to do the trick.

That lower dash panel is held in with two star screws,and then its just metal clips along the tope nearest to the steering column. You have to give a forceful tug to get them out. You may want to just leave it in place and zip tie it while the cable is sitting where it sits, because if you pull the panel off, the hood release is attached to that panel. and the cable will not be sitting where it normally does.

I also found that the air vent down there could rattle where it connects back toward the center of the dash. I used to duct tape to on the connection just while I was under there poking around.

I just took it for a test drive and my fix worked!!! Zip tying the hood release cable to the wiring harness puts enough pressure on it that it doesn't rattle. Doesn't seem to be a need to get into the dash panel right now, as long as I don't tap on it while I drive ; )

Anyone with a lower dash rattle might want to try this.

• 4 weeks later...

Im not convinced that its the hood release anymore. I mean I have that damn thing zip tied up pretty damn good. I have a feeling its something else. I just can't pinpoint it.

When it comes on, I can make it stop by pressing my hand into a certain spot on the lower dash towards the right next to the console. I had that lower cover off and there' isnt anything over there...wtf

Im not convinced that its the hood release anymore. I mean I have that damn thing zip tied up pretty damn good. I have a feeling its something else. I just can't pinpoint it.

When it comes on, I can make it stop by pressing my hand into a certain spot on the lower dash towards the right next to the console. I had that lower cover off and there' isnt anything over there...wtf

Mine did the exact same thing drove me crazy! Have no idea what it was but the dealer was able to fix it.

Mine did the exact same thing drove me crazy! Have no idea what it was but the dealer was able to fix it.

Was it recently they fixed it? Can you look up the service ticket and tell me what they did?

When I took the lower dash pad off of mine there were 4 loose screws right behind the pad. I tightened them down snug and that killed my rattle. I still have one more in the door trim when I play my ipod. Another thread to look for.

When I took the lower dash pad off of mine there were 4 loose screws right behind the pad. I tightened them down snug and that killed my rattle. I still have one more in the door trim when I play my ipod. Another thread to look for.

Ok I will take a look. Thanks

My rattle was coming from the same area. I found that the noise was coming from the OBDII port bracket. You might try holding onto the port while driving to see if the rattle stops.

10-4. I will try that too.

• 6 months later...

Ok Guys, just a little history. I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD Sport with a Duramax, I also had the faint rattle coming from the lower dash area that started around 7000 miles and seemed to change with RPMs. I had taken it to 2 different dealerships and they claimed they could not hear a rattle.

I was frustrated to the point of trading the truck in. As a matter of fact, I stopped driving the truck daily because it was so irritating. Creating a $70,000 piece of garage art. (You can just imagine what my wife was thinking.)

Being determined to find the rattle I started to zip tie and insulate cables, starting with the emergency brake cable. NO LUCK.

So this morning on way to work reached down applied a little pressure to the hood release cable and no more rattle. After close examination found the hood release cable to be unsupported under the dash and bouncing against a module under the dash.

I zip tied the cable to the wiring harness close to firewall insuring that cable would not make contact with any other modules or surfaces.

NO MORE RATTLE!!!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions and I will try and post pictures later.

Archived