Modifying your truck while still under warranty!

Ok guys want to here your thoughts on this one.

So I've been looking into getting a leveling kit for my 2015 silverado.

I was told that as long as I didn't modify any engine or exhaust part my warranty was still good....

Well just to make sure I called my dealer, I was on hold for 33 minutes and still didn't get a answer. So I decided to call GM directly. The laid that I talked with said that it had to be a GM part & had to be put on by a GM dealer.... so I said GM sells lift kits? She put me on hold & when she came back on the line she read me the GM warranty... & said if you have a warranty claim we will inspect your truck & if it has anything but GM part on the vehicle the warranty claim will be denied!

So then I asked her about tires. & she said If I replace my tires they have to be the SAME specs as the stock ones or that too can void the warranty....

And at the end of the conversation she said thats the way its writen i know it doesn't always work out like that....?

What do you guys think about this?

Relax take a deep breath. A level kit will NOT void the entire vehicle warranty. Now if you have a suspension component wear out and you have a level kit then they may decline to cover the repair under warranty. "You gotta pay to play"

Ryan

Get a level, anything gets worn, remove level and take it to get fix free lol. From my understanding it only voids whatever components it damages. Now it also depends on your dealer, they might be cool about it and don't ask questions and get you fixed up

2014 Silverado 2WT CC Summit White 4.3L V6

DROPKICK Edition

IG: jorge_dropkick_rangel

My local dealer installs lift kits and wheel/tire packages and still offers the same warranty. If there is a problem and you are trying to get a warranty item fixed then they have to prove that your lift, wheels/tires are what directly caused the problem in the first place.

A modification could/will void parts of the warranty that it directly effects. From GM's Silverado warranty webpage:

AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ALTERATIONS AND WARRANTIES. Installations or alterations to the original GM-equipped vehicle (or chassis) are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html

Original Equipment Alterations

This warranty does not cover any damage or failure resulting from modification or alteration to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors. Examples of the types of alterations that would not be covered include cutting, welding, or disconnecting of the vehicle's original equipment parts and components.

Recreation Vehicle and Special Body or Equipment Alterations

Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle or chassis, as manufactured and assembled by GM, are not covered by this warranty. The special body company, assembler, or equipment installer is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations to any of the parts, components, systems, or assemblies installed by GM. Examples include, but are not limited to, special body installations such as recreational vehicles; the installation of any non-GM part; cutting, welding, or the disconnecting of original equipment vehicle or chassis parts and components; extension of the wheelbase; suspension and driveline modifications; and axle additions.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

In a nutshell, your leveling components could void the suspension portion warranty. It could be looked at no differently from a full lift package because your suspension has been modified.

Not quite. A level might cause warranty headaches on front end stuff but not rear. There are hundreds of leveled trucks on here without major issues.

Not quite? Please elaborate because some leveling kits have rear block changes.

Doesn't the same apply for lifted trucks with professionally installed lift kits also? I haven't read where they are having major issues or warranty claims either. Seems like those who purchased from companies like BDS, Pro Comp, etc. aren't having issues either and if they do, these companies will step in.....

Not quite? Please elaborate because some leveling kits have rear block changes.

Doesn't the same apply for lifted trucks with professionally installed lift kits also? I haven't read where they are having major issues or warranty claims either. Seems like those who purchased from companies like BDS, Pro Comp, etc. aren't having issues either and if they do, these companies will step in.....

I was thinking about the popular Rough Country and similar 2-2.5" leveling kits that were just a front spacer. If you mess with the back then they may give you trouble.

There are countless threads on this in various sub-fourms. Several people even mentioned getting ball joints covered despite the failure seeming to be more common with the level kits vs stock.

A big lift is a can of worms due to how much is modified. It really depends on your relationship with the dealership more than anything else.

I was thinking about the popular Rough Country and similar 2-2.5" leveling kits that were just a front spacer. If you mess with the back then they may give you trouble.

There are countless threads on this in various sub-fourms. Several people even mentioned getting ball joints covered despite the failure seeming to be more common with the level kits vs stock.

A big lift is a can of worms due to how much is modified. It really depends on your relationship with the dealership more than anything else.

Great points.

Archived