Putting in a heated steering wheel in '15 LT

Hi guys,

I know this topic has been semi-covered before but not too in-depth for the 14-15 models. I have a 2015 Midnight Double Cab LT with the 2LT package. It has damn near everything I want except for cooled seats (which I know isn't happening) and the other being the heated steering wheel that only came in LTZ models. I'm not very electronically savvy when it comes to schematics and installs. I know you need to get a new Clockspring, coil, and a wheel that has the heat button on it. Does anyone know where I can view an in-depth install for the 14-15 models? Or know what kind of place I can take it to that will actually attempt the install for me since apparently from what I've read, dealers won't do it. Plus they'd charge me 800 dollars for the wheel alone. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

What info do you need? You will only need the new GM clock spring and the heated steering wheel complete. The install process is a simple two wire single plug that plugs into a plug taped up to one of the plugs down by your feet under that big black box.

The biggest challenge is just removing the air bag properly, everything else is pretty straight forward.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I installed the new clock spring and heated steering wheel. Found the plug for the heat no problem but when I hit the heated wheel button nothing happens. The fuse is good. It's a June of 15 build Silverado 1500 LT. Does the BCM need to be set?

I installed the new clock spring and heated steering wheel. Found the plug for the heat no problem but when I hit the heated wheel button nothing happens. The fuse is good. It's a June of 15 build Silverado 1500 LT. Does the BCM need to be set?

Check this out, especially page 40, additional schematics on 168 and 181. It looks to connect to the bcm. The code for the heated wheel is UVD. This manual has everything imaginable.

http://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/578/Sierra_Silverado_Electrical_Body_Builders_Manual_Service_Manual_2015_en_US.pdf

Edited by KingDavey
  • Like 4

If anyone has a steering wheel with/without heat but with the radio controls etc... out of their vehicle will you please take a picture of the wiring going into the 10 pin connector.

• 5 months later...

Pretty sure the BCM has to be updated in order for the heated wheel to work; if the system work like the old NBS trucks. When I put heated seats in my NBS RegCab truck, had to buy a BCM from another truck that had heated seats.

Think remember reading something that the 14+ BCM had to be married to the ECM for them to work.

And yet someone with a '15 Silverado LT claims he's successfully added it to his truck.

I've also considered just de-pinning the contacts for the heated circuit and running that to power, bypassing BCM, if that is indeed the case.

Edited by GMMediumDutyMQ

These 2 threads should be merged. Check this one out.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/167676-heated-steering-wheel/

I have the new steering wheel and clock spring and a wire harness. I've had them since last fall. Hoping to get this done before the cold comes. Just need to get the air bag off.

Came across this thread also which should help some of us.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/163179-removing-the-air-bag-and-steering-wheel/

Edited by Cato