• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't get much better than Wilson Combat in the 1911 world, they make great quality custom, hand fitted pistols.......Good luck with it and enjoy!

I kind of want the exact same thing in 9mm...being so heavy I imagine it's a sweet shooter!

ran about 400rnds of cheap bulk ammo like a champ! got it nice and hot.....smokey even.....

Sure is a handful to reassemble being so new.

I have some re-manufactured ammo from wilson on the way and going to the range again as soon as my new BCG for my AR gets here......broke the firing pin.....last time I cheap out on a BCG!

Sweet gun Tx! I am still loving my Kimber in 9mm. It is now the gun of choice when I get together with my buddys at the range or farm, everybody wants to shoot it. I've got about 700 rounds through mine now and it has failed to eject 2 times now and each time it has been after firing 200 or more rounds out of it without being cleaned.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet gun Tx! I am still loving my Kimber in 9mm. It is now the gun of choice when I get together with my buddys at the range or farm, everybody wants to shoot it. I've got about 700 rounds through mine now and it has failed to eject 2 times now and each time it has been after firing 200 or more rounds out of it without being cleaned.

Jesus man keep up...... I have 1250 rnds thru mine already and 45acp isnt cheap!!! Got 500 rnds of federal HST 230gr +P coming to see if it will cycle those well to use as my defensive load as i love me my HSTs lol

Run 147gr +p in my HK P30 and VP9

180gr in my M&P 40s&w

And hopefully 230gr +P for this one.

Since we can ooen carry here in Tx this is my special occasion BBQ gun lol

So far not 1 issue but im expecting one soon....i mean come on.... Its a 1911 lol

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

The FTE was not on every last bullet I shot but only the very last bullet in the very last clip I shot for the day so just one FTE in 250 continuous rounds. I hope it was just the gun getting dirty or a bad/weak shell. I did read on several forums that the early 9mm 1911 had magazine/ejection problems but that it has mostly been cleared up.

Most issues with a 9mm 1911 are magazine related. If you only had the one issue in 250 rounds, it is probably just normal break in. Make sure you keep it well lubricated and run it hard for 500-1000 rounds. If the problems become more frequent or you are still having issues after 1000 rounds, you can start looking harder to diagnose the issue. I don't worry about the occasional hiccup until I've put at least 1000 rounds through the gun.

STI

I smithed 1911s for a living for a while. Failure to eject would not lead me to expect a magazine issue. You should be able to remove the mag in a 1911 and fire it with confidence it will function. If something is protruding abnormally high, such as the mag side ears, it may be a possibility, but not likely unless it drags on the slide and that would show on any shot . Removing the magazine and firing should reveal magazine effect on ejection.

Weak mag springs show by not holding the slide open on firing the last round of the mag or fail to feed on a really bad one that doesn't bring the last round up all the way.

Fail to eject would lead me to look at the extractor shape, side tension, amount of rim capture, then the ejector type/style/shape/timing, and finally, the ejection port shape. Often enough, the owner has improperly dropped the slide on a chambered round (probably repeatedly) which forces the extractor to have jump over the rim. This often chips the edge of the extractor, causing extraction failures. Other common failed extraction causes are inadequate side tension on the extractor or a malformed claw. I've seen a few 1911s so dirty the claw is partially filled with residue and the hole for the extractor is packed tight with it as well.

Jesus man keep up...... I have 1250 rnds thru mine already and 45acp isnt cheap!!! Got 500 rnds of federal HST 230gr +P coming to see if it will cycle those well to use as my defensive load as i love me my HSTs lol

Run 147gr +p in my HK P30 and VP9

180gr in my M&P 40s&w

And hopefully 230gr +P for this one.

Since we can ooen carry here in Tx this is my special occasion BBQ gun lol

So far not 1 issue but im expecting one soon....i mean come on.... Its a 1911 lol

I don't think I'll be able to keep up with you on that one! I have way to many hobbies and projects going on that shooting my guns is way down the list right now. My two major things are hunting and motorcycles so if I am not in the woods I am on two wheels (also have two bikes down to the frame right now that I am restoring). I have taken my AR to the range while strapped to my back while on one of my motorcycles, I get a few looks going down the road! When I am at the range or one of family's farms I usually am shooting one of my 22.250's, heavily addicted to ground hog hunting!

I don't think I'll be able to keep up with you on that one! I have way to many hobbies and projects going on that shooting my guns is way down the list right now. My two major things are hunting and motorcycles so if I am not in the woods I am on two wheels (also have two bikes down to the frame right now that I am restoring). I have taken my AR to the range while strapped to my back while on one of my motorcycles, I get a few looks going down the road! When I am at the range or one of family's farms I usually am shooting one of my 22.250's, heavily addicted to ground hog hunting!

I tried that when i was in North Dakota and jesus.... Its wayy too much fun. We do that but with 200lb hogs here in Texas lol

Hey man we all do what we can with our time. Between my 2 trucks, custom building computers, and guns.... Lets just say im pretty much stretched as far as funds go for more hobbies haha

I spent a month in south Texas (Fort Stockton) for my job back in 2008 and really enjoyed it. Got to meet a bunch of different landowners and got invites to come on down and hunt when I wanted. Got along great with everybody I met and later found out why, most of them said that their familys came from TN, KY, VA area way back when.

I spent a month in south Texas (Fort Stockton) for my job back in 2008 and really enjoyed it. Got to meet a bunch of different landowners and got invites to come on down and hunt when I wanted. Got along great with everybody I met and later found out why, most of them said that their familys came from TN, KY, VA area way back when.

Yup... If ur ever down here again i have some special access to land on the King Ranch we can go put a dent on that hog population lol

I work all over the US but home is in Mcallen, Tx.... So very far south.

• 4 weeks later...

Live in Texas but don't open carry, just pack concealed, just my preference, nothing against open carry, supported it in fact. I'm an old Vietnam Vet and carried a 1911 when I was in the Big Green Machine. And, have owned 1911 and variants of ever since. Over the years I've observed that 1911's tend to be picky about what ammo they're fed. Stove pipes seem to be their favorite malfunction. So, whenever I buy a new 1911 (which I concede has been awhile) the first thing I do is take it to my gunsmith and have the ramp polished. And, when it comes to ammo, I only shoot copper jacket ball. I know, I know, some folks want to blow a hole in the opposition big enough to toss a basketball through. My objective is to hit the target which is difficult to do with a malfunction. Anyway, my two bits :)

I smithed 1911s for a living for a while. Failure to eject would not lead me to expect a magazine issue. You should be able to remove the mag in a 1911 and fire it with confidence it will function. If something is protruding abnormally high, such as the mag side ears, it may be a possibility, but not likely unless it drags on the slide and that would show on any shot . Removing the magazine and firing should reveal magazine effect on ejection.

Weak mag springs show by not holding the slide open on firing the last round of the mag or fail to feed on a really bad one that doesn't bring the last round up all the way.

Fail to eject would lead me to look at the extractor shape, side tension, amount of rim capture, then the ejector type/style/shape/timing, and finally, the ejection port shape. Often enough, the owner has improperly dropped the slide on a chambered round (probably repeatedly) which forces the extractor to have jump over the rim. This often chips the edge of the extractor, causing extraction failures. Other common failed extraction causes are inadequate side tension on the extractor or a malformed claw. I've seen a few 1911s so dirty the claw is partially filled with residue and the hole for the extractor is packed tight with it as well.

Not a gunsmith (agree with your excellent comments). My personal most common malfunctions have been the failure of round to go to battery, using wedges in the throat after attempting to feed up the ramp. My gunsmith has improved this by polishing the ramp. But, the way I eliminated the problem was by switching to ball. It's my experience that the 1911 doesn't like exotic ammo. Good old copper jacket ball feeds most reliably. And, ball will take out anything or anybody you may encounter for sure. The other common malfunction I've experienced is the stovepipe, an expended cartridge wedged in the ejection port. I had an old military issue that was bad about this and had it ported and the problem was eliminated. However, the new custom stuff comes manufactured with a larger port. So, if this problem should occur with a new Wilson, Kimber, etc, I would take it back and ask for another gun. But, I love my 1911's, even though a 105 years old, still the best.

Not a gunsmith (agree with your excellent comments). My personal most common malfunctions have been the failure of round to go to battery, using wedges in the throat after attempting to feed up the ramp. My gunsmith has improved this by polishing the ramp. But, the way I eliminated the problem was by switching to ball. It's my experience that the 1911 doesn't like exotic ammo. Good old copper jacket ball feeds most reliably. And, ball will take out anything or anybody you may encounter for sure. The other common malfunction I've experienced is the stovepipe, an expended cartridge wedged in the ejection port. I had an old military issue that was bad about this and had it ported and the problem was eliminated. However, the new custom stuff comes manufactured with a larger port. So, if this problem should occur with a new Wilson, Kimber, etc, I would take it back and ask for another gun. But, I love my 1911's, even though a 105 years old, still the best.

SB,

When I work on a 1911 .45 acp with a stock type barrel, I get them to feed a full magazine of empty cases, without damaging the edges. If they'll do that, they'll feed about any bullet. The stock Gold Cup is pretty good, but not that good, and they'll shoot SWC lead bullets all day.

The ejection is a different issue. Usually, the stock extractor can be tuned to do a good job. If the gun is clean and it does this, I usually check and put more side tension on the rim of the case. But it can be the shape of the notch in the extractor too.

The ejection port on a modern 1911 is usually sufficiently large. Some guys like to open them further. On an old WW2 and earlier gun, the port is really small and should be opened.

One thing the combat guns usually get is the Commander style ejector. These extended ejectors will really kick the case out, provided the extractor is tuned correctly.

Someone did a great job of identifying all the different ejectors here. I've used the top three for a 45 acp.

1911Ejectors_zpsxq2e7jdb.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived