My tailgate won't close flush - any ideas?

I bought a 2014 Sierra crew cab recently and noticed the tailgate does not close flush.

When it is closed, the top of it is open about 3/8". The bottom is flush with the truck. It locks and opens and closes normally.

Is there any adjustment that can be made? The tailgate seems to be hitting against those two pegs before it is closed flush to the body of the truck..

Thanks for any help!

You can try loosening the left side strike bolt and re positioning it, but honestly never took it apart to see if it is adjustable. Same with the latch mechanism.

You should take the light fixture off so you can get to the back side of the strike bolt.

For the latch mechanism you may have to remove the tailgate cover plate to see if there is a nut that you have to hold onto from the inside.

Hopefully it is just an adjustment and not result of an undisclosed accident.

• Like 1

Just to tie a bow on this in case anyone has a similar issue...

I got a t40 socket bit from lowes and loosen up the two striker bolts on the truck that the tailgate latches to. I moved them forward about a 1/4" and retightend. I guess I got lucky because I was able to tighten them up nicely without having to remove the taillights. Tailgate sits nice and flush now.

Thanks!

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Thanks guys. Using a T40 I was able to adjust the left side on mine to sit flush enough for my liking. 

I didn't have to remove the light. I kept turning the screw and it hooked up.

Edited by Snooka