Help with weird noise from front end

Hi there, I've had an issue come up in the past 5 days where I'm getting some weird front end noise coming from my left tire where it's making a popping/ticking noise. I'm not very great with trucks and can't seem to find any other forums with the same issue or description. It is a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 crew cab. I've crawled under neath and I can't find anything that would be causing the issue, it does sound like something is hitting the inside of the rim but I'm stumped, can't find anything. I'm wondering if it could be either possible bad bearing, u joint or Cv joint but I don't know, those are the closest things I can find online. I did manage to get 2 videos with my problems, I got the you tube links below.

I'm not very good with trucks but if someone could possibly push me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, I'll try and get more info when I can or other videos. I plan on jacking it up in the next day or 2 to check for any damage. Thanks again- Josh

bad wheel beating will cause that shield issue, jack it up and check front end

bearing :)

I agree with rj. Best way to check yourself for a bad bearing is fairly quick. Jack up the front end and use a pry bar and put under the tire and lift up on the bar and try moving the tire around and look for excessive hub movement; excluding steering linkage slop if you have any.

Last year I had a front left wheel bearing go out on me on my way to work. came back home that night, took the truck to my neighbors garage and we did the pry bar trick and my entire wheel moved around on the spindle. $300 dollars later it was fixed. Good way to check your ball joints as well.

• 3 months later...

If you haven't figured out the source of the noise, check inside your rotor for a rock. I actually had a rock get between the dust shield and the rotor and was rattling around in there. Don't know how it managed to get in there, but it took about 45 minutes and some cursing to get it out. Just something else to check.

Archived