Adaptive Cruise Control

Do you like the adaptive cruise control?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, the adaptive cruise isn't perfect, but I love it. This is the one thing I wished that I had gotten in our old custom ordered 2012 BMW X5d, but didn't. So the adaptive cruise was a must have this time around.

You have to play with the different distance settings I think. It brakes too late and tries to speed up way too aggressively when set to near. It seems to do much better on medium. When set to far, it's slowing down when a car is like a ridiculous distance away, so don't really use that much. 

I used the adaptive today on I-64 coming back from Virginia Beach and heading towards Richmond. Between Williamsburg and Richmond, it's one of those two lane stretches of highway where you're constantly on and off the brakes due to a lot of on and off-ramps and only two lanes. This used to drive me insane without adaptive cruise. It really helps reduce driver fatigue with it. It's only looking at the car in front of you though. If the 5th car in front of you gets on their brakes, and then the 4th, and then the 3rd, you need to start getting on the brakes yourself because people tend to follow way too close. If you're waiting for the adaptive to do its thing and haven't gotten on your brakes by the time the car right in front of you is finally getting on their brakes, that's precisely how multi-car pile ups happen, which we did see on I-95 in Virginia today! LOL! Drove past a good 7-8 car pile-up precisely from this sort of situation. Also saw a crashed Tesla, that I think hit a freaking motorcyclist!   

I let the adaptive do its thing, and it worked well, but it was definitely late on the braking once when set to medium, so switched it off. Again, it can only see what the car in front of you is doing, and not multiple vehicles ahead. It's a great tool to reduce driver fatigue. Gotta keep paying attention and maintain situational awareness at all times, though.

• Like 1

It is ok on our Yukon Denali (not offed on our Denali HD) and about mid range performance, but the Mercedes implementation on our E550 AMG Cabriolet works way smoother and does not shut off after coming to a complete stop. Also the HID headlights on the AMG turn with the steering wheel which helps out tremendously at night on a curvy road and wish GM offed that feature. 

Edited by EXSlider400

I have ACC on both my Yukon XL and my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I really like it on both.

For those so adamantly against it because it brakes too soon when you are looking to pass, you can override that by simply pressing the accelerator yourself.

It will not resume it's normal operation until you let off, so it can work much like regular cruise control with a tiny bit of driver input.

• 1 month later...

I test drove the Lexus LS600 in 2008 which had adaptive cruise control it was nice... can sit in a lane and the car will slow down and speed up alone.  At that time if it stopped then needed to tap the gas peddle and it would get back to speed... not sure about the GM version

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
13 hours ago, Samfish91 said:

Does anyone have a 2020 Tahoe,  Yukon, xl, etc? They have a new “advanced adaptive cruise control” and I am curious what the difference between that and the regular 2015-2019 version. 

Would be very surprised if they changed anything, given this is the last model year of this generation. However, I'd be interested to hear otherwise, as I have a 2019.

• 3 months later...

In general I like the adaptive cruise control, however, on my 2020 Tahoe premier , if you get behind someone and say it’s set for 65 and you drop to 55 because they are running slow - when you go to pass it takes off like a bat out of hell to get the speed to the set speed.  Can this Increase in speed rate  be adjusted ?

In general I like the adaptive cruise control, however, on my 2020 Tahoe premier , if you get behind someone and say it’s set for 65 and you drop to 55 because they are running slow - when you go to pass it takes off like a bat out of hell to get the speed to the set speed.  Can this Increase in speed rate  be adjusted ?