Concealed Carry Permit Tests

This is one of the few cases I believe carry should be federal just like drivers license. You get a carry in one state good for all. In Texas you can have a gun in your house, car, place of business. I looked into carry a lot of good that does if you travel. If you take a trip even if you have a carry permit from the home state, and get caught in some of our friendly eastern states ten years for you. I leave it home, pisses me off.

• Like 1

Except DL aren't federal...

Nope. Spend more than 30 days in CA, need a CA license. I lived in FL for 3 years but still a CA resident. I was able to ger a FL Drivers license ans CHL

Do you need a CDL or reg drivers license in every state I don't

Nor do I but that doesn't mean the feds have anything to do with that. DLs being accepted in all 50 states is a state level agreement. Why do you think it works so well? :-p

Nope. Spend more than 30 days in CA, need a CA license. I lived in FL for 3 years but still a CA resident. I was able to ger a FL Drivers license ans CHL

You were military though right? It's different for y'all and students. It may have changed since then. A friend of a friend moved here and didn't change his license and got pulled over, we almost had to go get him because the officer was about to not let him drive anymore since I guess technically his DL wasn't "valid."

I guess you just miss the point , like one permit for all 50 states, like federal recognized hope that helps

Nor do I but that doesn't mean the feds have anything to do with that. DLs being accepted in all 50 states is a state level agreement. Why do you think it works so well? :-p

Not really I know what you're trying to say, but since I'm against that point, I just wanted to clarify that the DL system isn't fed thing. Most people think DL are already a fed thing though. The feds screw up way too many things for me to trust them with even more of my day to day life. If the citizens of a state can't fire those who don't represent them then that's all the more reason for me to not go to that state. Maybe if I didn't think they'd use federalizing the permit system to further their anti-gun agenda I'd be more inclined to want it to go federalized. Sadly however I only see federalizing permits (or most anything else) as a step backwards.

Edited by Chevyguy85
  • Like 1

The sad part is there have been bills in both the House and Senate to have reciprocity on CWPs for years but they can't ever make any head way with them.

• Like 1

In Hawaii all you need to do is buy a big box of donuts for the Chief of Police! J/K

You need to go through all the steps as the OP stated in the first post, and then you can't get a CHL because the Chief of Police is the only one allowed to issue it, and he won't unless you need to carry for your occupation.

I took a 2 day class that was comped to me, price would have been $210 however, this was for Utah and Arizona.

I thought it was a very good class...I had 244 of 250, second highest in my class and experienced a lot of things I wouldn't have if I didn't take the class...like moving and shooting, firing from the hip, around obstacles etc.

I was told the DPS office in Utah and Arizona needs to send me my docs within 60 days, and it took them 55 days.

The reason I took the class is because I was planning on moving out from Hawaii...it's just not the same place I grew up in, and move to Texas.

Once I was in Texas though, I thought it might be better if I had a Texas CHL, so I took another class for $100 and this class was not even close to what I went through in Hawaii.

Never the less it was still a good class to take and only 6hrs long.

I think for the most part everyone should take some kind of class before given a CHL, and it wouldn't hurt to have the medical records checked just to be sure the person is stable.

I don't see the need for finger prints or my SS, they don't need to keep track of me that's for sure.

Also the steps one has to go through in Hawaii just to purchase an firearm is totally infringing on the 2nd Amend.

Here in Texas, I went to a show and purchased a Bonds derringer for my wife, showed my DL for proof of residency, paid the bill and walked away with the firearm...how simple!

I also had the opportunity...actually I got caught speeding 8mph over the speed limit, to inform a Police Officer that I was carrying when he came to my window.

He didn't seem to be alarmed and said "Thank you for letting me know" I then proceeded to inform him of my every move and told him where I was carrying.

It went pretty smoothly...other than the $171 citation, but I earned that one!

• 2 months later...

In Kentucky we had to sit through a class, watch video's, multiple choice test and than go to the firing range. The sheriff in my small town taught the class. He sent our info to the state, after about a month and half our certificate came in the mail. The sheriff's office has your pictured license card. Take the certificate to them pay a fee and they give you your license.

In my opinion every state should require a class, some people can not safely handle a firearm and therefore need to be shown proper handling. I would hate to hear someone lost there life because someone CCDW didn't handle their weapon properly and kill someone by accident. I love hearing when someone get's their CCDW, we need more good law abiding citizens carrying firearms. Of course if a person does not want to carry a firearm that is your right as a law abiding American citizen.

Daniel

I agree and I would also like to see the number of hits increase to pass the firing line test, my opinion 11/20 is too lenient especially with someone applying for our CCDWP.

I trained my wife for months before she took her class and it did pay off, she shot the X out of the 10 ring perfect 20/20.

• Like 1

Ok apparently my 4 or 5 was wrong. With West Virginia now added we're up to 8 states with Constitutional Carry.

I heard it was 13 States with constitutional carry. This is where we need to go. If you are legal to buy, you are legal to carry. No federal anything on carry, please. I believe Texas has or will have a constitutional carry bill.

Edited by STex

I heard it was 13 States with constitutional carry. This is where we need to go. If you are legal to buy, you are legal to carry. No federal anything on carry, please. I believe Texas has or will have a constitutional carry bill.

Now it is, in March when I posted that it wasn't that high yet :)