2016 1500 6.2l w/ NHT vs 2016 2500HD w/ 6.6l Diesel

I am having a tough time deciding between these two trucks. I plan on ordering a 2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2L with Max Trailering Package or a 2016 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.6L Duramax Diesel.

I will be getting Employee pricing so the costs aren't that far apart (about $5-6k more for the 2500HD). The truck won't arrive until mid to late June so I have some time. I know they are redesigning and updating the 2500HD's for 2017 so I might be able to get better rebates on the truck at that time however now, the rebates are better on the 1500. Who knows - I guess it is a crap-shoot.

Does anyone know a website where I can find historical rebates and incentives on Chevy trucks?

I won't be doing a tremendous amount of towing but I will be doing enough to justify either engine (7500lb Kubota Tractor, multiple tons of wood pellets, occasional skidsteer rental, Home Depot/Lowe's trips, etc).

I like the 6.2L and 8speed automatic because they are the newest technology but the 6.6L and Allison is an awesome powerhouse that will never have an issue with load.

Will the diesel regeneration cycles annoy the hell out of me? Will filling it with DEF annoy me as well?

Will the gas just suck that much fuel down? The 6.2L requires Premium fuel so the fuel costs per gallon are nearly the same in my area (Connecticut).

For a baseline, I currently have a 2013 Avalanche that I ordered in 2013 and since my towing needs have changed (tractor, etc), it just doesn't fit my needs.

The letters DEF annoy the hell out of me, especially with the eliminated 5/100k warranty, for occasional towing ID get the max tow, but if u tow alot, long Distance then go diesel

Actually, the Duramax still maintains the 5yr/100k mile warranty. Just a fun fact for thought!

Well Here is my .02 cents. If you are daily driving the truck every day a less than 20-30 min commute and you are gonna tow all this stuff maybe 10 times a year, go with the max tow 6.2. warming up a diesel and shutting it off daily driving in our winters are really bad for a diesel along with not having heat as quick in the cold February mornings.

If you are going to be towing all that stuff regularly all year long and dont have a short commute every day or need to daily drive the truck definitely go with the diesel. DEF is really not a big deal, and durmax doesn't do regen cycles like fords or dodges, it does not flood cylinders with diesel it has a nozzle on the DPF where it burns off every certain amount of hours. My dad has 90k miles on his and has only Regen like 2 times.

Both trucks will be fun to drive, and you will be happy with both.

I personally was looking at diesels when i was going to buy a truck but i have a 4 mile commute every day so i would kill that truck, so i chose to just work a half ton harder when i need to tow my stuff. Only thing you might want to do if you get the half ton is get the air bag kit. they sag pretty good but air bags make it feel like a 2500.

I just traded my 2015 Duramax 3500 for a Denali 6.2. No longer needed the heavy truck and was tired of the rough ride. The HD's drive nice for what they are but no comparison to a 1500 in ride quality. The DEF is no big deal, I had mine topped off at each oil change and hardly noticed the regen...just an elevated idle.

If you just tow from time to time and your trailer falls within the capabilities of the 1500, that's the route I would go.

As far as increased gas cost for the 6.2...Diesel will be as expensive if not more at most places.

Well Here is my .02 cents. If you are daily driving the truck every day a less than 20-30 min commute and you are gonna tow all this stuff maybe 10 times a year, go with the max tow 6.2. warming up a diesel and shutting it off daily driving in our winters are really bad for a diesel along with not having heat as quick in the cold February mornings.

If you are going to be towing all that stuff regularly all year long and dont have a short commute every day or need to daily drive the truck definitely go with the diesel. DEF is really not a big deal, and durmax doesn't do regen cycles like fords or dodges, it does not flood cylinders with diesel it has a nozzle on the DPF where it burns off every certain amount of hours. My dad has 90k miles on his and has only Regen like 2 times.

I personally was looking at diesels when i was going to buy a truck but i have a 4 mile commute every day so i would kill that truck, so i chose to just work a half ton harder when i need to tow my stuff. Only thing you might want to do if you get the half ton is get the air bag kit. they sag pretty good but air bags make it feel like a 2500.

Excellent advice and thank you for your time. My commute is 8miles and there are many hills (real pain in the butt).

Both my 2015 and 2011 performed regens many many more times than your Dads so perhaps he commutes a long way? Also, I live in MN and drove both trucks all winter with no grille cover and both heated up quick, I never had the thought that it took a while to warm up. I commuted 5 miles to work each day and used both trucks for plowing, lots of idling and back and forth at low speeds....No issues at all. Just some of my personal experience with the DEF Dmax's, they are great. You will read things like "emissions nightmares", "DEF" etc...none of them are issues in my experience.

My dad has a 2010 I don't think it had def yet but he has the luxury of having other vehicles to drive when it's really cold or just around town. He drives it mostly on long trips up north snowmobiling and when he going out of town or for work.

Don't get me wrong the thing is freakin awesome and it has the manners of a regular half ton around town and tows a skid steer great, but if the temp is below 30 it takes so long for it to warm up I would just feel like that's horrible for a diesel

perfect advice. I have towed 7500 a lot with the 6.2, mostly the older version '11. The 14+ 6.2 handles it very well, and mines the 6sp, so the 8sp will do even better. BUT, I wouldn't want to 'live' with towing that much every week with a 1500. My 14 is the standard bed too. As Rkaroll said, it's all about how much you plan on towing and deal with the compromises of each.

If you are looking for the towing security of an HD without the added maintenance costs of the diesel, and are okay with meh mpg, you could go with the 6.0. Sounds to me that the 6.2 NHT might be your truck though, especially if you daily and if you take trips anywhere. If you were moving your equipment daily somewhere to do work, etc. and hauling big loads either daily or weekly, the diesel might be your truck. I honestly would drive an HD 6.0 and the 6.2 back to back. Obviously the 6.2 will screw balls, but a 6.0 HD has more towing capacity, and larger frame, axles, etc. to handle larger loads much more comfortably than a 1500. I daily drive my 6.0 and I love it.

I almost bought the 2500 w the Duramax. I test drove the 2500 and 1500 back to back and the ride was night and day. The 2500 rode like a rock compared to the 1500. I only tow my boat on average 3-4 times a month around town and a couple trips to the keys per year (4.5 hours) and it's not real heavy so I did not really need the 2500. It pulls my boat great and it's my DD. If I was towing your equipment all the time the 1500 would have not even been a consideration. Sure the 1500 will pull it good but the 2500 will just do it better a lot better.

I also get the GM employee pricing due to my father-in-law up in MI and when I got mine last July they had a $3500 (approx) rebate that went on top of the discount which took about $11-$12k off the MSRP.

I have a 14 Sierra All Terrain with 6.2 no trailer max . I had been tossing around looking at the 2500, for the more towing power and some of the features I don't have now. I did have my truck re-geared from the stock 3.42 and went up to 4.56 to compensate for the lift and tires. I drive fast, and love speed that's why I opted for the 6.2. Only thing I wish I would have got was the longer bed vs the 5.5... I love my truck, and have put a ton of stuff on it. Good luck on your choice, it would be hard for me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

the only real answer is to go spend some time behind both trucks. they drive differently, some people don't mind the stiffness of the 2500 truck and others prefer the softer ride of the 1500. after years of half-ton ownership and the rear end sagging with just a trailer and a four wheeler, im glad i made the upgrade to a 2500. as for the DEF, when i had all of the emissions on my truck for about 15k miles, i never even noticed it going into regen and never had any issues with it. its not that big of a deal to put DEF in the truck either. Most of the trucks with serious DEF issues were the first year LML's

Archived