6.0 Surging while Cruising at Low RPM

This is my first go around with a 2500 and the 6.0. It's a 2015 that I bought new in February of this year. This has become more noticeable (just now audibly) now that I have a Magnaflow muffler on the truck. When you are just cruising around maintaining speed, it seems like the RPMs surge in the 1500-1750 range, like the truck is lugging, or pulsing, or searching for a gear or something. If I give it more gas, it will downshift and feel fine. When it is doing the surging, it feels like it has no power, until like I said, you give it more gas and it downshifts.

Is this a common occurrence with these motors and nothing to be concerned about or should I raise a question with the dealer?

I think its something to do with the torque converter lockup schedule. Or its a torque management deal (would need to be tuned to help that). I'd see if the dealer can reprogram anything for it. Mine does it, as do many others I have driven.

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Any Updates on this thread?

My truck is doing the same exact thing. 37,500 miles

40 series flowmaster.

Didn't really notice it until I got it back from dealer 1500 miles ago after they put in a new torque converter in it & a module.

My truck shifted weird few weeks ago, check engine light came on. Covertor was stuck holding 3000 RPM driving around town that day for about an hour. Then later on when it finally downshifted, you could tell something was wrong with the truck lugging / something got damaged. Now that it has been repaired,...it's doing this surging like described above.

Edited by NY-Vmax-Joe

Glad to hear im not going crazy. I noticed this as well. My truck has less than 3k miles and doing it. Im all stock, no magnaflow. It seems to be when truck shifts into 3rd until i get up in rpm then its ok. But I did notice if i baby the throttle and drive nice it does not do it, just when i take off quick from a stop.

It got better after Hypertech canned tune, but thinking of removing tune and bringing it in to dealer if it doesnt get better. Im hoping the truck will learn the new tune and correct itself. I know sometimes transmissions have to learn how the driver drives.

Its brand new, it should not be doing that.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just bought a 2013 express rv . nice vehicle but surging is driving me crazy.  Why is it a big company can put out things that do not work correctly and get away with it.?  . I ran a repair shop for many years and just retired and thought an rv would be great to see the country in. I guess with 13 k on the clock it will have to be worked on. If my men had repaired a vehicle that ran this way and had given it to the customer I would never have heard the end it, but if a BIG company lets it go this way , it is accepted as normal.  Such a sad state. 

I typically run in manual and unless I will be going faster than 60 I never let it go into 6th.  I find the L96 in mine really seems to do its best at in the 2000 - 2500 range for general driving.  And on the rural rolling hills I deal with, really cuts down on shifting and MPG is actually a little better with this methodology.   I never get any surge., and I have had a Magnaflow 12909 on it since within the first 90 days of owning it after buying it brand new.