Who likes their 8 Speed?

824 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The learning process on my '15 transmission has finally taken care of the the clunky shifting after about 2200 miles and 2 months of ownership. Shifting smooth as can be now. My only complaint is it took quite a while to get there. I decided I would let it go until about 3000 and if it hadn't 'learned' by then, I would take it in for an updated flash, glad I waited. I think maybe people are getting the reset to start learning again too quickly perhaps causing more problems than if they just let the system self adjust till its right.

I have a 2016 5.3L with 8 speed and have to say it is very smooth. I recall maybe a clunk once or twice which seem to coincide with either stopping quickly or flooring it then letting off quickly which even my 05 Silverado with the 4 speed with clunk under those conditions. I came from a Ram 2500 Cummins daily driver to the 16 Sierra and I have to say it is one smooth vehicle!

I had a 2008 LT that did something similar. Upon pulling up to a stop sign I would sometimes get a harsh clunk. Sometimes while sitting at a traffic light I would feel a push as though someone behind me gave me a shove with their car. Turned out to be the slip yoke. It would stick when under a load then when at a stop and load was off it would not slide back easily to home position till it had sat for a few seconds. Had two yokes replaced, yoke and spline greased numerous times to no avail. So, I finally quit worrying about it. After several years guess the spline/yoke loosened up enough that they would slide back and forth without sticking and binding as the problem eventually ceased. So far, haven't noticed this problem with my 2015 LTZ.

The learning process on my '15 transmission has finally taken care of the the clunky shifting after about 2200 miles and 2 months of ownership. Shifting smooth as can be now. My only complaint is it took quite a while to get there. I decided I would let it go until about 3000 and if it hadn't 'learned' by then, I would take it in for an updated flash, glad I waited. I think maybe people are getting the reset to start learning again too quickly perhaps causing more problems than if they just let the system self adjust till its right.

I am glad this worked for you, but mine started developing problems after 2000 miles.. Not before. Unfortunately a friend of mine with the 6.2 and 8 speed Sierra Denali didn't start having issues until after 10,000 miles. Strange how these transmissions act.

How does the 6.2 8 speed compare to the 5.7 8 speed?

Guess it depends on what you want to compare. The GM can tow up to 12,000 lbs while the Ram can tow up to 10,000 lbs. However, most comparative reviews I've read give smoothness of ride to the Ram. So, suggest you do your homework and go with the trucks that meets your needs the best

Guess it depends on what you want to compare. The GM can tow up to 12,000 lbs while the Ram can tow up to 10,000 lbs. However, most comparative reviews I've read give smoothness of ride to the Ram. So, suggest you do your homework and go with the trucks that meets your needs the best

The has coil springs in the rear.

The Ram has coil springs in the rear.

• Like 1

Yeah, from what I understood from owning a 2015 Ram was that the leaf springs were added for added comfort. But they made the Ram's nosedive way too much, and once again, from what I understand: Killed what the Ram was able to tow. The 2016 Ram's look a lot better by not nosediving as badly. But I'm happy with my Silverado and am NEVER going back. Of course I do miss the heated seats and steering wheel and 8 speed, and some cubby holds. But i view my Silverado as superior.(just making sure everybody knows that I'm never going back to owning a Mopar product lol)

Edited by fedmogul89
  • Like 1

Guys I just had my 8 speed reprogrammed for the second time at the dealer. It shifts great now. It was slipping from 1st to 2nd and sometimes it would slam into gear. I have just over 9000 miles on it. I will keep everyone posted

What year, 5.3 or 6.2.

A good second and a half in the quarter.. or more. It's more on par with a 5.3 GM truck.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Yep, the 6.2 beats the 3.5 teapot as well. Just a side note; the race is now a drag race to 98 mph. After that the truck(s) stopped accelerating and the race is over. I noticed in the Truck Trend review it was mentioned that the 6.2 hit the speed limiter well before reaching the quarter mile mark. Wonder what it would do with the limiter removed. Bummer.... :(

Are you guys getting to and holding 8th gear with aftermarket (bigger and heavier) tires and wheels?

I am interested in the feedback to this question, for a different situation. I occasionally tow a 25'/6,100 lb TT and I too would like to know what gear I'm in. When towing and in Tow Mode I suspect that I rarely achieve in 8th gear but don't know. So, interested in how to tell what gear the tranny is in

Yep, the 6.2 beats the 3.5 teapot as well. Just a side note; the race is now a drag race to 98 mph. After that the truck(s) stopped accelerating and the race is over. I noticed in the Truck Trend review it was mentioned that the 6.2 hit the speed limiter well before reaching the quarter mile mark. Wonder what it would do with the limiter removed. Bummer.... :(

They don't do much. .. maybe at sea level or a downhill track I guess lol. I have raced mine and it traps around 98 mph.... corrected for my DA made that like 101. I'm tuned, intake and catback. For reference sake there were a number of 8 speed Rams that same night and they trapped closer to 90 mph... and ran low 16s lol.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by 1994Vmax