just realized my my truck is a POS lol

ive had chevs since the 70s. ALL THE FRAMES surfaced rusted. It hurt nothing. Ive had them as long as 10 years and 200k and never had one even come close to rusting through. back in the 70s there was major rust problems. I had a new 79 with a one year warrantee that had to have fender replaced due to rust through before the warrantee was done. Never have had a frame rust through though. Look at about any chev ford or ram that lives up here in salt country and after just one winter theres some surface rust on frames and about anything else under the truck. Many up here including myself have learned that undercoating isn't allways the answer. If theres rust started (sometimes you cant even see it under the paint) the rust becomes more of a problem being sealed under the undercoating then it would if left alone.

ive had chevs since the 70s. ALL THE FRAMES surfaced rusted. It hurt nothing. Ive had them as long as 10 years and 200k and never had one even come close to rusting through. back in the 70s there was major rust problems. I had a new 79 with a one year warrantee that had to have fender replaced due to rust through before the warrantee was done. Never have had a frame rust through though. Look at about any chev ford or ram that lives up here in salt country and after just one winter theres some surface rust on frames and about anything else under the truck. Many up here including myself have learned that undercoating isn't allways the answer. If theres rust started (sometimes you cant even see it under the paint) the rust becomes more of a problem being sealed under the undercoating then it would if left alone.
I've seen many (not just Chevy) c-channel frames rust in half, spring hangers rust off, crossmembers rotted out...it's more than surface rust! And some of those were low mile trucks...watched one fold in half on a lift.

Rust issues vary from locale to locale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The salt brine that is sprayed on road surfaces is completely destroying vehicles. Once the steel is exposed, this nasty chemical eats the steel until nothing remains. Being proactive is the only way to make your vehicle last more than a few years.

The salt brine that is sprayed on road surfaces is completely destroying vehicles. Once the steel is exposed, this nasty chemical eats the steel until nothing remains. Being proactive is the only way to make your vehicle last more than a few years.
I think the wax coating is a good idea in theory as it is soft, flexible, and somewhat self-healing; as opposed to paint that is brittle and will eventually crack at every joint and point of flex rendering it ineffective.

I think the downfall of the wax coat frame (peeling) is likely a surface prep issue...my guess is these frames are shipped bare and are sprayed with a light oil to prevent corrosion in transit to be wax coated (the frames may even be P&O, pickled and oiled, as mine was very clean steel when the wax first peeled off, and that oil is either left on during the wax coating process or not being effectively removed prior to the application of the wax coating.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:27 AM, sdeeter19555 said:

I've seen many (not just Chevy) c-channel frames rust in half, spring hangers rust off, crossmembers rotted out...it's more than surface rust! And some of those were low mile trucks...watched one fold in half on a lift.

Rust issues vary from locale to locale.

Living in the UP of Michigan I don't think theres a place short of Alaska that might use more salt on the roads then they do here.In the 50 years ive been driving up here ive had two major problems with frame rust. One was a 75 4x4 chev 1/2 ton and the other was a yj wrangler. Both known for there rust problems and both well over 20 years old when they failed. Ive seen and still see silverados from the 90s on up on the road that have very little left for fender doors rockers, boxes, tail gates,  brake lines, tranny lines ect from EXCESSIVE rust but none with frame problems.

You can coat your frame if that's what you want but you should know your probably doing more harm then good. surface rust will start on the way to the dealership and if its not prepped perfectly your just trapping it under the product your using and causing the problem to become worse. Rust stop products are a temporary fix. Ive coated frames with them and in a couple years rust starts again and it its usually just like undercoating in that it starts underneath the product and by the time it pops out damage is already done. Its why Gm will not warrantee your frame or underside of your truck if you have it rust proofed  by anywhere other then the dealership or the dealership has it done for you new. 

I remember back in the 70s and 80s rust proofing was the norm. there were shops everywhere that did it. Most in true salt country found out it was about snake oil and really did little in big picture to stop rust and like I said in many cases made it worse. Today finding a place to undercoat or rust proof you vehicle isn't near as easy as I think in this whole area there is only one left and there main business is sparying in bed liners.  Bottom line is the best thing you can do if it really worrys you and you plan on keeping that truck for 25 years is once a week run it through a car wash with an underbody flush. At least in the winter anyway.

Living in the UP of Michigan I don't think theres a place short of Alaska that might use more salt on the roads then they do here.In the 50 years ive been driving up here ive had two major problems with frame rust. One was a 75 4x4 chev 1/2 ton and the other was a yj wrangler. Both known for there rust problems and both well over 20 years old when they failed. Ive seen and still see silverados from the 90s on up on the road that have very little left for fender doors rockers, boxes, tail gates,  brake lines, tranny lines ect from EXCESSIVE rust but none with frame problems.

You can coat your frame if that's what you want but you should know your probably doing more harm then good. surface rust will start on the way to the dealership and if its not prepped perfectly your just trapping it under the product your using and causing the problem to become worse. Rust stop products are a temporary fix. Ive coated frames with them and in a couple years rust starts again and it its usually just like undercoating in that it starts underneath the product and by the time it pops out damage is already done. Its why Gm will not warrantee your frame or underside of your truck if you have it rust proofed  by anywhere other then the dealership or the dealership has it done for you new. 

I remember back in the 70s and 80s rust proofing was the norm. there were shops everywhere that did it. Most in true salt country found out it was about snake oil and really did little in big picture to stop rust and like I said in many cases made it worse. Today finding a place to undercoat or rust proof you vehicle isn't near as easy as I think in this whole area there is only one left and there main business is sparying in bed liners.  Bottom line is the best thing you can do if it really worrys you and you plan on keeping that truck for 25 years is once a week run it through a car wash with an underbody flush. At least in the winter anyway.
I lived in the snow belt, try topping that for salt use...family has been undercoating far longer than 50 years, never had a body panel rust out, let alone a frame, in all those years.

Have a nice day...

I've kept every vehicle I've owned from rusting from salt using the same method for years.  In the spring I put the vehicle in the air on jacks and ramps.  Crawl under and hand wash the salt off..

No rust proofing ever used as I find it causes more issues than it worth especially when things get older and need a repair....

The 2014 Sierra frame like to rust but I kept this up with cleaning and touch ups.... 

The effort needs to be put in though just expecting things to never rust is not reasonable.

21 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

I lived in the snow belt, try topping that for salt use...family has been undercoating far longer than 50 years, never had a body panel rust out, let alone a frame, in all those years.

Have a nice day...

sorry but with 350 inches of snow or more a year I think we in the UP of MI get a tad more then PA. Probably not many places in the US other then Alaska that get any more. Between the normal winter snow and the lake effect snow off lake superior which is a few hundred yards from my back door winters are long and hard and the salt trucks go steady up here in the winter.

19 hours ago, BigBadSierra said:

I've kept every vehicle I've owned from rusting from salt using the same method for years.  In the spring I put the vehicle in the air on jacks and ramps.  Crawl under and hand wash the salt off..

No rust proofing ever used as I find it causes more issues than it worth especially when things get older and need a repair....

The 2014 Sierra frame like to rust but I kept this up with cleaning and touch ups.... 

The effort needs to be put in though just expecting things to never rust is not reasonable.

Ill second this one.

sorry but with 350 inches of snow or more a year I think we in the UP of MI get a tad more then PA. Probably not many places in the US other then Alaska that get any more. Between the normal winter snow and the lake effect snow off lake superior which is a few hundred yards from my back door winters are long and hard and the salt trucks go steady up here in the winter.
Maybe more snow, not more salt...

Went to school with the guy running a Garage up the road...told me he got a truck like mine in...2016 ....out of warranty mileage. Power brake booster went bad, told him to see if the vacuum pump diaphragm went bad and dumped oil into this poor guys brake booster.....

Yep. He's making bank off that guy. Vacuum pump...Brake booster....copy GM stealership and change the brake master cylinder as well...replace plastic vacuum line with oil in it......whatta crapy design....

Atleast he wasnt one of the unlucky ones having the vacuum pump take out the motor by sending metal shavings into the oil galley......much bigger bill.

I have to get around and order a Summit Vacuum pump and rip that POS belt driven vacuum pump off that motor. 

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:32 AM, sdeeter19555 said:

Maybe more snow, not more salt...

Snows here from end of October till at least the end of march. Roads are ice covered and salted through the entire winter. As a matter of fact there calling for 5 inches in the next two days. so our roads will be salted by the end of the week. Ive been all over the us (not Alaska so I cant compare that) and have never seen anywhere that uses more salt then here. Considering our winters are probably at least 2 months longer then yours and we get at least twice the snow and colder temps Id have to ask how you come up with your reasoning. That's about to me like someone from North Carolina claiming longer and colder winters then you have in PA. Id guess that other then up in the mountains theres not even snow on the ground that stays for more then a month in pa. Bottom line is we can argue this silly point back and forth but up here we do see salt and lots of it. We do see icy roads. As a matter of fact goodyear does there winter tire testing about 45 miles from here in the town I grew up in. Bottom line too is that there used to be rust proofing businesses in every town that had a dealership and most had MANY different brands and shops. Now if you want it done you are going to have to do some searching to find one within a 100 miles of here. Probably for good reason. They caused as much trouble as the stopped and newer vechicles use better metals and finishes that don't need it even if it did help back then. If it makes you feel good to have it done go for it though. Someone whos feeding there family off it will thank you.

Archived