Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

mine does the same. 2016 Silverado 5.3. truck only has 2500 miles. noise just started. I can mostly hear it from 1k to 2k rpms. light throttle. sounds like a small manifold leak. seemed to happen after I had my exhaust replaced under warranty for the whistle noise. They replaced the exhaust dude to the flapper no working correctly. no sure how much of the exhaust they replaced. Was going to bring it to the dealer again but seems like people are not having luck having it fixed

That sounds a lot like what i have. My exhaust has not been touched. I'm starting to hear it in V8 alot more under load.

Yeah. I've been seeing that notice posted. My truck is not making the noise at Idle. it's driving down the road under load. it makes it sometimes, other times it's perfect. But I can replicate the noise while cruising at a steady speed under load. it happens between 1000 and 2000 RPM but the lower the RPM the more noticeable the noise. pretty much like ct_corey said.

From the
TechLink pages:
The latest generation of engine technologies found on the 2014 Corvette and 2014-2015 Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra 1500, Yukon and Yukon XL may produce some unfamiliar sounds during cold starts as well as during warm operation. The new engines include the 4.3L V6 (RPO LV3) (Fig. 10), 5.3L V8 (RPO L83), 6.2L V8 (RPOs L86 and LT1).
Direct Injection
The new small block engine family uses a Direct Injection (DI) fuel system. The fuel is injected directly into the cylinder using a high pressure fuel system, which improves power, torque, and fuel efficiency. The high pressure fuel pump can generate a subtle ticking sound that is apparent when the vehicle is idling. The sound is more evident when outside the vehicle, when the hood is open or the vehicle is operated in a drive-through environment. The sound may be more noticeable during a cold start, but lessens once the engine is warm. A slightly higher pitched clicking sound is the fuel injectors pulsing on and off under the high fuel pressures. These sounds are normal characteristics of the DI system.
Another operating characteristic is a slightly longer crank time, which is the result of the time required to build high pressure in the fuel system before the engine starts.
Oil Pump
The oil pump design on these engines is a two-speed vane-type pump. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm, and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds.
At temperatures of 32°F (0°C) or colder, when the engine has been sitting for a few hours, it is possible to have air enter the pump through normal oil drainback. Upon start-up, a short rasp sound may be heard from the front of the engine. It is most often heard during a remote start. This is a normal condition.

What about me GM Customer Service?

I've been to the dealer 3 times with this now.

Good morning ct_corey and 2016LTCC,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing these noise concerns in your trucks. I recognize that you are looking to other forum members to see if they have found a resolutions for similar concerns. However, if you wish to visit a dealership to have this looked at please feel free to private message me with more details.

All the best,

Julianne M.

GM Customer Care

I am dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow, I will report back. im going to be pretty upset if they cant correct it. no reason a 45k dollar truck should sound like this. ive owned several direct injected cars and never had it sound like this. It sounds like an old work truck with a leaky manifold. Does it worse it seems with the truck is hot. sounds like it near the footwell area tho.

Yeah, mine is in the driver footwell area. My dealer keeps focusing on the top of the engine (valve lifters, direct injection pump) and hasn't found anything.

Read the thread close to this one (exhaust leak). it sounds exactly like what i'm hearing and i'm believing it's more manifold related now.

• Like 1

thanks!

Yeah, mine is in the driver footwell area. My dealer keeps focusing on the top of the engine (valve lifters, direct injection pump) and hasn't found anything.

Read the thread close to this one (exhaust leak). it sounds exactly like what i'm hearing and i'm believing it's more manifold related now.

Same here. My 2016 started after a couple thousand miles. Sounds just like a leaky manifold after it heats up. I called the dealer and ofcourse they acted like it was something unheard of. Im going to check with a dealer and ill let you guys know what I find.

In the spirit of troubleshooting, are any of you guys able to hear this noise in park or neutral when you give the engine some gradual RPM?

I'm experiencing something that sounds pretty similar to this noise in my 2015 Silverado (5.3L 13k miles), but it's only when I'm in drive going down the road, and only when there is slight throttle being applied (may continue under more throttle but engine noise likely drowns it out). No noise when coasting or when revving in park. Severity fluctuates day by day and sometimes I don't hear it at all. The 2014 Sierra (5.3L ~40k miles) doesn't do anything similar.

I guess I'll try giving it some gradual RPMs in neutral or park after the engine is warm, can't really remember if this sound presents itself immediately when the engine is cold or not.

Similar to some others in this thread the noise seems to be coming from the driver's side footwell, or at least the driver's side of the vehicle. I'm just stumped at the fact that it only wants to make the noise when throttle is being applied, and so far as I know only when the vehicle is in drive and underway.

I'll get it looked at soon, and hopefully will have some useful info to report back.

Edited by ValidUsername

Maybe it is lifter noise?

Unless it's a god awful racket or a sound where you know something is wrong, I tend not to worry about it anymore. I had my 2004 Kenworth with a big CAT motor back when I was trucking. That engine made strange noises right when the engine began to pick up boost or let off of boost. I sold that truck in 2010, with 1.3 million KM on the clock. No engine work ever done.

My point is sometimes we worry a lot about things that don't really need to consume us with worry.

I hate to say it, but you pretty much know what the dealers will say. They can't justify tearing apart an engine just because of a slight noise that doesn't correspond to damage or a mechanical failure. Who is going to pay for the labor to strip it down? GM won't cover it unless they find something wrong, so a lot of shops won't tear anything down unless they are 95% certain they will find a problem inside. I know it sucks, but as someone who has worked as a mechanic, that is the world of it all.

mine wont do it unless I'm driving. I usually need to drive for a bit before it happens. Its real loud if i'm on the highway for a while

This is exactly what mine does. Very noticeable cruising down the highway after half an hour or so. Passengers comment on it. Brand new truck and it's embarrassing. Should have kept my 2005 Silverado I guess.

I understand what you're saying LaserblueZ71. I don't want them to tear the engine down for no reason, that would probably leave me with another problem. I'm not worried about the tick because I have warranty but, I am annoyed by it. Also, I don't think it is very serious because the truck runs perfect.

But on the other hand, I paid a lot of money for this truck. I don't want to listen to a ticking motor for years. I would like them to find out the cause. It seems that the problem is fairly common. I'm sure there will be a bulletin posted sometime for a correction.

If GM wants to keep costumers and honour their warranty, I fully expect their dealers to fix what is needed to correct a problem, even if it is just a noise. A $50k truck should not have annoying and weird noises so GM should fix it.

Maybe it is lifter noise?

Unless it's a god awful racket or a sound where you know something is wrong, I tend not to worry about it anymore. I had my 2004 Kenworth with a big CAT motor back when I was trucking. That engine made strange noises right when the engine began to pick up boost or let off of boost. I sold that truck in 2010, with 1.3 million KM on the clock. No engine work ever done.

My point is sometimes we worry a lot about things that don't really need to consume us with worry.

I hate to say it, but you pretty much know what the dealers will say. They can't justify tearing apart an engine just because of a slight noise that doesn't correspond to damage or a mechanical failure. Who is going to pay for the labor to strip it down? GM won't cover it unless they find something wrong, so a lot of shops won't tear anything down unless they are 95% certain they will find a problem inside. I know it sucks, but as someone who has worked as a mechanic, that is the world of it all.

just heard back from my dealer. The writer didn't go into detail but the ordered a new front pipe(not familiar with the exhausts on these trucks). he said they found a crack. he mentioned the y pipe. There going to over night the parts for tomorrow. Ill get more detail when I go get my loaner. I hope this fixes it.