Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

Does the tick change tempo/rhythm with rpm or does it stay constant?

It coincides with acceleration, as rpm increases the ticking rhythm does as well. I'm confident it's either

1. A small exhaust leak

2. Injectors

3. Fuel line or pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It coincides with acceleration, as rpm increases the ticking rhythm does as well. I'm confident it's either

1. A small exhaust leak

2. Injectors

3. Fuel line or pump

That is what mines sounds like as well. I can rule out the fuel pump and lines. I've had this all replaced and no difference. My AFM valve lifters have been replaced as well.

That is what mines sounds like as well. I can rule out the fuel pump and lines. I've had this all replaced and no difference. My AFM valve lifters have been replaced as well.

Right, I saw you replaced lifters. I think it's the exhaust then, makes sense to me. The sound definitely could be a leak

Yeah, i've always thought exhaust too. but mine only happens now and then. that makes me think of the valve timing.

It comes from driver side floor board, if it was something like that it would be resonating more in the cab on both sides

That is true. that is exactly where mine seems to come from.

Exactly, which makes me believe it must be exhaust or possibly an a/c pump or something positioned on that driver side. It's definitely not the motor. Really weird

Yeah, i'll try leaving my AC off for awhile and see if i notice a difference. In canada now we don't need AC, but i have a habit of just hitting the Auto HVAC button.

A while ago, I was testing this out and I noticed with the windshield defroster on and set over 74 degrees, the chatter was significantly less, hands down. Now when I test that, it doesn't make a difference. Really weird, but it for sure made a difference in how loud it was before. The air off did not make a difference, it was with the windshield defroster set at a warm temp that made it much less loud.

• 3 months later...

been to the dealer a few times on this. They tried replacing the exhaust and some fuel pressure check valve. Still does it. Last time, they told me they hear it but have no idea what it is.

mine is so loud that I was actually able to record it on my cell phone