Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

My engine was normal at idle and light load. but under load in V8 and V4 mode it started making a loud tick.

Okay I gotcha, so no noise unless there was a load? What kind of load would you say weight wise?

Sent from my treestand using Tapatalk

MOhunter, I listen to your video. This is exactly what mine does.. its not loud, but it's super annoying.

Turn your a/c off for at least a minute and drive and see if it goes away then let me know

• Like 1

I tried it, no difference.

I was driving through a new area today with Jersey barriers very close to the drivers side of the truck and heard it much louder than usual. I would say that its drivers side for sure now.

I just tested again yesterday, try one more thing. I noticed with a/c off it still does it. What I did to make it much less noticeable, was turn a/c off, then turn on your defroster for the windshield and crank the temp up to at least 74. It is significantly less noticeable when I do that. Wait about a minute after and test

The chatter sound comes directly behind my drivers side a/c vent

• Like 1

I just tested again yesterday, try one more thing. I noticed with a/c off it still does it. What I did to make it much less noticeable, was turn a/c off, then turn on your defroster for the windshield and crank the temp up to at least 74. It is significantly less noticeable when I do that. Wait about a minute after and test

The chatter sound comes directly behind my drivers side a/c vent

I don't know if it's my imagination or actually true, but there did appear to be a slight difference with the AC off.

What do you think the correlation is?

I think my engine is ticking again. i've come to accept I've got a lemon of a truck. What a disappointing experience this whole thing has been. Sounds like there are multiple major issues with these trucks. My first brand new GM vehicle and I won't be rushing back. I've had lots of good used trucks from them. $50,000 and it makes we want to :throwup: .

Edited by stetsie

I don't know if it's my imagination or actually true, but there did appear to be a slight difference with the AC off.

What do you think the correlation is?

There for sure is a difference when ac is off and a vent besides the main dash board ones are on. (Such as windshield defroster)

I have no idea. I'm almost thinking it's something with the cabin fan, or something with the ac system. I know the motor does not tick/knock, it's something else. It correlates with throttle though, and only is heard around my driver side vent, nowhere else

Edited by MOhunter92

brought mine in. They claim to still not be able to duplicate the issue. As soon as I drove off the lot I could clearly hear it. I even showed the head tech a video of the tick while driving. so annoying. This is the 3rd time ive brought it in. I always tell the writer to call me if they cant duplicate it but they never do and just call me at the end of the day saying they didn't find anything. truck sounds like a shit box from inside the cab. Sounds like an old truck with a manifold leak.

brought mine in. They claim to still not be able to duplicate the issue. As soon as I drove off the lot I could clearly hear it. I even showed the head tech a video of the tick while driving. so annoying. This is the 3rd time ive brought it in. I always tell the writer to call me if they cant duplicate it but they never do and just call me at the end of the day saying they didn't find anything. truck sounds like a shit box from inside the cab. Sounds like an old truck with a manifold leak.

Yea, it's very frustrating. You can hear it outside too... roll your windows down next time your next to a jersey barrier.

Rather disheartening when one of the selling points of this vehicle was how quiet they are inside.

.... and that is true, and I think the reason you can hear this "tick" so well in the cab.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't stop trying to determine the noise in my motor at certain times. Since they replaced the AFM valve lifters, manifold, fuel lines and DI fuel pump, I'm starting to narrow it down to the variable valve train or the oil lubricating it.

It only happens sometimes, under certain loads. that's why i'm leaning to the noise happening at certain valve timings. Since the seems to run fine, just has a loud knock sometimes, I'm wondering if this thin 0w-20 oil is too thin and causing these noises.

When i start my truck in the morning the oil pump makes that groan that some people hear.

Is anyone running 5w-20, 0w-30 or 5w-30 oil instead of the recommended 0w-20?

Edited by stetsie

So I finally had the opportunity to bring mine in for service. The mechanic took a ride for me and we actually couldn't get the truck to duplicate the noise. He suggested that possibly the air temperature had something to do with it... it was about 47* during the test drive and first cold day morning of the fall.

Later that afternoon when it was warmer it was ticking like normal. Keep an eye on yours on the these cool mornings and warm afternoon and see if the results are similar. I wonder if it has anything to do with the AC pump.

They told me it was the high pressure fuel pump ...