Trailer lights don't work

I've got a 2016 CC LTZ short box and no matter what trailer I pull i have no drivers side turn signal or brake light. I even rewired my trailer (and my buddy hooked up his truck to it and it works fine) and have pulled my buddies boat( didn't work on mine). Still doesn't work. I am bringing it in to the dealership on Monday. But just was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loose ground somewhere is 99% of all trailer light problems. I was once told by an old time to not rely on my auto lights and to turn the lights on manually. He said it will help "keep the ground clean" whatever in the heck that means. Hopefully dealer can figure it out.

Did you check the trailer light fuses in the fuse box under the hood?

This. My 15 Sierra popped both left and right signal + brake light fuses recently. There is 1 fuse for each side that does signal and braking. Running lights are on a separate fuse.

Edited by LowbanksArcher

This. My 15 Sierra popped both left and right signal + brake light fuses recently. There is 1 fuse for each side that does signal and braking. Running lights are on a separate fuse.

But the truck lights work fine.

Just the trailer has issues.

But the truck lights work fine.

Just the trailer has issues.

Yep. The fuses are for the trailer lights only. The truck's signals will still work. If you pop the cover off the fuse box under the hood, I believe they are #16 and #17 fuses. One for left, and one for right. Edited by LowbanksArcher

Yep. The fuses are for the trailer lights only. The truck's signals will still work. If you pop the cover off the fuse box under the hood, I believe they are #16 and #17 fuses. One for left, and one for right.

Ok. I'll check it when I get home. Thanks.

• 7 months later...

The left tail light on my 2015 silverado went out completely and when looking through the fuse diagram i am confused on which fuse i need to check to change. Please help guys. Thanks

Edited by Eber

• 1 year later...

Did you ever find a resolution for this? I have the same issue. All truck lights work except the passenger running light. The very same bulb works just fine when unlocking and locking. All fuses are ok. Plus almost none of my trailer lights work as well. Just the drivers side driving light. So if it's a bad ground, any idea where the ground is located?

Good place to check would be your adapter right in the bumper, depending on your location you might get some crud up in there. Another thing to try would be some CRC QD Electronic cleaner in the adapter with the truck OFF. Let it dry for 10 minutes and then try again. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have a 16 Silverado with the same problem there are 2 relays in the circuit board that controls each side for the brake and turn signal under the fuse box that if the fuse don't blow it will burn the relay up I just changed the whole fuse box out cost me $232 and about 10 minutes and I got mine working again. Chevrolet has a bulletin out about using cheap fuses causing a lot of trouble. If I can help with pictures message me. Also my camper had a short I used a cheap fuse and that's what took mine out.

On 7/5/2016 at 7:56 PM, jtruck618 said:

Loose ground somewhere is 99% of all trailer light problems. I was once told by an old time to not rely on my auto lights and to turn the lights on manually. He said it will help "keep the ground clean" whatever in the heck that means. Hopefully dealer can figure it out.

That makes absolutely no sense

Last year My 2016 was towing a new boat and brother in laws 2015 was towing a new camper.

Both blew their fuses for the trailers lights during a rain storm down the highway at 65.

We yanked all the plugs and put di-electric grease in all connections.

Now blowing fuses for left rear trailer brake and turn signals in the 2015, in dry weather. We haven’t gone on a fishing-camping trip in the rain yet. But we both have a stockpile of fuses for this year now that we know its the TRUCKS electrical faults.

Both trucks all grounds to frame removed, cleaned, reinstalled and covered in di-electric grease.

It aint the boat or campers fault. GM’s.

Edited by Paintor

• 2 months later...