2016 Chevy Silverado no start problems

Well I had a 2014 Silverado was an awsome truck never had any major problems with it dealer sent me a letter wanted me to trade my 14 in for a 16 made me a hell of a deal any how have my new truck for about 10 days put about 650 miles on it go out to start it one moring turn the key service 4wd comes on the screen and won'tcrank so I call the dealer have it towed in get to the dealer fires right up on the tow truck they call and are more concerned about my 5th wheel hitch ( what the hell are trucks for) and my aftermarket wheels and tires pretty much tell me that void my warente and that's why it won't start lol so after arguing back and forth for a while they say we can't find anything wrong with it blah blah blah I told the get my truck ready and I went and picked it up the very next moring (6am) I go out try to start it same thing call a new dealer they send the service manager and a tech out to my house they get there around 10 ish tech hops in truck fires right up he plugs his computer in sees it threw a bunch of codes they take it back to the dealer they find a bag negative battery cable put a new one on I get the truck back hook it on my 5th wheel and head up north for the week was up north for 10 days 9 out out of the 10 days it wouldn't start untill the sun had been on the truck for 20 minutes or so then it would fire right up and run fine all day untill the next moring get home from vacation take the truck in tell him what happened they keep it for a few days in there back lot claim they went out every moring at 7:30 when they up and it started every day but one of the days it lost communication with the bcm so they throw a new bcm in it Iget it back tuseday evening wendsday moring get up to go to work won't start again I take it back in wendsay they call me Thursday said they called gm service and that won't do anything untill they get it to duplicate. My truck now has 1300 miles on it I've owned it for just over a month and it's been in the dealer for going on 2 weeks now. I even took a video and showed them it wouldn't start. Has to have something to do with temperature and moister in the morings. Getting ready to pull my hair out and all they can tell me is they can't do anything untill it duplicates. Has anyone else had this problem!? Hears the video I showed the dealer. Thanks!

They have to prove that the modifications you made to your vehicle would void your powertrain warranty first of all so don't put up with that crap from the place you got it from. Next, open a case with GM Customer Care. Lastly, go talk to the man who sold you the truck. Sit down with him and his manager and explain what is going on. See if they can help put some pressure on their service department. Electrical gremlins are common in this day and age given how much crap is in vehicles now a days, sadly.

GM has incredible ability to resolve a lot of vehicle issues by simply uttering these three magic words: "NORMAL" and "CANNOT DUPLICATE".

How can anyone challenge such diagnostic prowess?

Edited by pm26

I am no GM tech but I had an old '86 S10 with exact same symptoms. It was the ignition coil and condensation was the issue, truck obviously has power but is not getting enough juice. However I realize saying that and there being like 30 years difference. Mostly just saying it is curious.

Edited by Alpine Truck Life

I have not seen this in a GM vehicle but on my wifes 2015 Ford Escape the BCM was damaged by a dealership service tech trying to load an update program. They kept the vehicle for over a week to figure it out (New BCM and new software programing) Might want to ask your dealership if they did any software updates on the truck before you picked it up.......might help jog their memory LOL.

Edited by MyFavTruck

• 3 years later...

My 2017 is doing this, weird thing  is battery has juice and shows it charging when running. I literally hit starter 3 good times and it fires right up. Dealer changed starter and it still does it. Checked relays and juice before I hit starter which started it again. Only happens in the morning  or after sitting more then 3 hrs. Did you find the problem  on your truck

Edited by Av2017

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

2017 5.3 with same issue. Been at dealer a month now and coukd use some info. It intermittent and when it does haooen ir says to check 4x4, powrr steerimg assist and some other things on the dash. Starts when it wants, did start by hitting starter until new starter was put. Need help!

On 10/13/2019 at 3:07 PM, Av2017 said:

My 2017 is doing this, weird thing  is battery has juice and shows it charging when running. I literally hit starter 3 good times and it fires right up. Dealer changed starter and it still does it. Checked relays and juice before I hit starter which started it again. Only happens in the morning  or after sitting more then 3 hrs. Did you find the problem  on your truck

Did you find any fix?

• 7 months later...

2016 Chevy Silverado 5.3 Z71.  Mine just started doing the same thing but not displaying any check messages, that looks all normal, just doesn't fire up.  I bang the top of the black battery top and tighten the battery connections and it has started, but not always.  So now I never shut it off when I go out.  Now that I think of it it has done this after it has been off for a few hours, but this morning it started up fine.  It has been damp and wet for the last couple of days here also.

This just started happening to me 4 days ago with my 2016 5.3. My truck wouldn’t even try to crank after sitting for 8 hours after driving it for an hour the night before. Didn’t leave any electronics on or anything. Then after driving it, I went back out to my truck after about 2 hours of not driving and it took two key cycles for it to try to crank. My dads 2015 5.3 had the same issue about a year ago. I’m curious if cold weather increases the chance for this because it’s around 20 degrees F overnight here.