Bed Lighting with Key Fob

So, I love the bed lighting on my new truck, but I find it annoying that you have to run inside and hit the cargo light button. Has anyone had any thoughts of tapping the bed lights (also) into the reverse lights? That way when you hit the unlock button on the FOB, the bed lights will come on for a short duration?

Further to that idea, does anyone know if the bed light harness taps plugs into the modular box under the bed that the taillights and hitch plug into? Or are they run elsewhere?

*EDIT*: I can confirm that is where they plug in. This might turn out to be pretty simple.

Obviously this has the downside of the bed lights coming on when in reverse, but I figure as long as there is an ignition or accessory hot wire in that modular box, I could relay out the bed lights when the truck is actually running, and then the bed lights would only come on with the reverse lights when the truck is off.

Any 12V guys here have any thoughts? If not, ill probably volunteer and be the guinea pig......circuit should be relatively simple.

Search for the reverse light diode mod on here. You put a diode in the bcm and you have your cargo lights of when in reverse for extra light and bed lights come on also. If you unlock at night the bed lights come on. That's your answer. Did it to mine and it's awesome now.

Search for the reverse light diode mod on here. You put a diode in the bcm and you have your cargo lights of when in reverse for extra light and bed lights come on also. If you unlock at night the bed lights come on. That's your answer. Did it to mine and it's awesome now.

Nice. BCM makes it even easier, then I for sure can use a relay tied to ignition so that this only comes on with reverse lights when the truck is not running. Ill post instructions once I get it figured out.

Nah....way to go is remote control. Bought a two channel 12v RF controlled relay (under $20 from China on EBay) and tapped into the parking light tap of the trailer hitch connector (you can tap into the 12v hot if you want to operate with the parking lights off). One channel controls the forward LED spots on the sports bar and the other the rear facing LED floods. No internal switch to wire.......the key fob controls the lights when in or outside the vehicle.

Circuit is controlled by separate relay and fuse independent of the parking lamps.

Nah....way to go is remote control. Bought a two channel 12v RF controlled relay (under $20 from China on EBay) and tapped into the parking light tap of the trailer hitch connector (you can tap into the 12v hot if you want to operate with the parking lights off). One channel controls the forward LED spots on the sports bar and the other the rear facing LED floods. No internal switch to wire.......the key fob controls the lights when in or outside the vehicle.

Circuit is controlled by separate relay and fuse independent of the parking lamps.

What I'm talking about would use the factory remote. Hit unlock and the bed lights come on (and only when it's dark out). No extra Chinese fob on the keychain needed, no RF module to mount, no fuse holder hidden away from the rest of the fuses. Just one simple relay and diode, already protected by the factory cargo lamp relay fuse in the factory fuse panel.

• 4 months later...

I added a magnetic reed switch to latch on my tool box and led lights in my tool box. Tapped into the bed harness at the connector behind rear bumper. Tapped it with a diode preventing voltage flow to bcm and mirror lights since I have that option. Now when I open my tool box, bed lights come on and tool box lights.

Super cheap and crazy convenient. Be real easy to throw a micro relay and trigger with back up lights. The dealer will always check bcm for mods. They rarely Check uninvolved circuits under the body. Even less often would a tech try to deny a claim further away. When stuff shorts if you have been jamming things into bcm, ecm or other modules, they sometimes try to say it was prob from accidental short circuits before.

Just food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Side note, I'm considering adding a trigger to turn them on when I lower the tailgate but would need a kill switch incase I hauled with tailgate down. I was thinking a west marine sealed spst toggle.

Thoughts?

I added a magnetic reed switch to latch on my tool box and led lights in my tool box. Tapped into the bed harness at the connector behind rear bumper. Tapped it with a diode preventing voltage flow to bcm and mirror lights since I have that option. Now when I open my tool box, bed lights come on and tool box lights.

Super cheap and crazy convenient. Be real easy to throw a micro relay and trigger with back up lights. The dealer will always check bcm for mods. They rarely Check uninvolved circuits under the body. Even less often would a tech try to deny a claim further away. When stuff shorts if you have been jamming things into bcm, ecm or other modules, they sometimes try to say it was prob from accidental short circuits before.

Just food for thought

Archived