2015 Tahoe. A/C Condenser

2016 Tahoe --- Needs A/C Compressor.  Add my name to the list.  They want $1200 to fix a 2 year old car.   I see everywhere online.  (238 separate complaints on carcomplaints.com) about this defective A/C Compressors that GM refuses to replace at even a discount.   I left Toyota to buy my first American car in decades.....  I thought I had made a decent decision. 

On 9/9/2016 at 3:24 PM, Haws2 said:

A/C stopped working. Dealer says Condenser went bad. This truck is 2 years old. Live in Michigan so maybe used air for 6 months. Not covered under warranty.

Anyone else have this problem?

My Tahoe was just in the shop for this reason, the condenser was leaking. Less than 65k miles 

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2017 at 1:11 AM, tahoeamaia said:

I drive a 2016 Tahoe bought it brand new back in 2015. A month ago took in for service because I had no AC. when got to the dealership was told the condenser was leaking and it was the cause the truck was only blowing hot air.Its been 4 weeks already and still dont have it fix because Chevrolet has the part in back ordered and have no date for when itll be shipped/available for customers. I tried a few shops around but it comes out to almost $1,500 to get it fixed from my pocket.With the warranty i pay nothing but again, its been 4 weeks and still no updates and cant even use the truck Any advice,help, suggestions? Please help

I assume you already repaired the truck but just for the future, there are and there were back in 2017 bunch of GM OEM condensers for sale on eBay, just type in 2016 Suburban condenser in eBay, OEM price is around 150$ + 45$-90$ per hour labor at mechanic shop. The job can be done in 2-3 hours, I fixed mine for 440$ including condenser from EBay. 1500$ is definitely a rip of!!!

7 minutes ago, Adisabeba88 said:

I assume you already repaired the truck but just for the future, there are and there were back in 2017 bunch of GM OEM condensers for sale on eBay, just type in 2016 Suburban condenser in eBay, OEM price is around 150$ + 45$-90$ per hour labor at mechanic shop. The job can be done in 2-3 hours, I fixed mine for 440$ including condenser from EBay. 1500$ is definitely a rip of!!!

Yes forgot to mention you will also need to refill Freon after repair which will cost you around 100$ at the shop or you can do it by yourself, you can buy Freon at AutoZone. Look for a134 Freon, you will need 2 bottles which are around 50$ each, bottle has gauge, so you will know when to stop filling up Freon. 

8 minutes ago, Adisabeba88 said:

Yes forgot to mention you will also need to refill Freon after repair which will cost you around 100$ at the shop or you can do it by yourself, you can buy Freon at AutoZone. Look for a134 Freon, you will need 2 bottles which are around 50$ each, bottle has gauge, so you will know when to stop filling up Freon. 

Do NOT use this type of Freon for a repair like this, you will ruin the entire AC system.. have the system properly vacuumed and filled somewhere, it’s not expensive to have it done...

On 2/28/2018 at 1:26 PM, Scott in Colorado said:

2016 Tahoe --- Needs A/C Compressor.  Add my name to the list.  They want $1200 to fix a 2 year old car.   I see everywhere online.  (238 separate complaints on carcomplaints.com) about this defective A/C Compressors that GM refuses to replace at even a discount.   I left Toyota to buy my first American car in decades.....  I thought I had made a decent decision. 

The whole AC system is weak in 2015-2017 GM truck. They definitely need to pay much more attention for this in the future models. Anyway love American trucks, transmission, engine and suspension are strong on them. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/11/2018 at 1:16 AM, tahoeppv15 said:

Do NOT use this type of Freon for a repair like this, you will ruin the entire AC system.. have the system properly vacuumed and filled somewhere, it’s not expensive to have it done...

This system use R -1234yf all new adaptor if decided to do it you self NAPA got best price for gas under 40$ for 8oz and walmart got charging hose with gage for 15$.I drive month adding  to system till finally change condenser.just be make sure no flame around freon can burst in fire.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Isnt it crazy how all these condensors are going bad and GM won’t do anything about it. I have a 2015 dark leather tahoe with no ac in Texas heat and was quoted over $1000 to fix it, on top of a $800 vehicle payment. I literally can’t afford to fix it  , but I know one thing..... never again will I trust GM. I write a review every single day and will continue until they do a recall on something that is apparently happening on most tahoes. 

There is a special policy for 2015-2017 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL, Chevy Tahoe, Suburban and Escalade. 5 years or 60,000 miles for the Chevy and Gmc and 6 year  72,000 miles for the Escalade. Doc ID# is 5131597 and Special policy number is 17336-04. If yours has less than 60,000 miles it should be covered.

Not at all surprised that they chose a mileage figure past which, they surely know, is where the issues begin.

I got that letter from GM and, of course, I was 2000 miles over 60k for the Tahoe.

I put my name on the class action list. Hope to get a portion pf that $1500 back someday, though i’m not holding my breath.

NEVER will I buy another GM vehicle.

• 1 month later...

I have. 2015 Chevrolet Silverado, 85k miles, condenser just went bad, drivers side where the vertical looking tube attaches  to a small circular horizontal point that then goes to main part of fins, looks like maybe went bad due to vibration, not far from connection point on frame of truck, owned chevys a lot of years never seen anything that leaked like this condenser