Exhaust leak? Rattle? Normal?

Just trying to help you out, this does fix some peoples issues though!

What's your service dealer saying about your issue?

Good luck

I know thank you for that.

He drove the truck with me in the passenger and he said that they all do that and that's normal. This was before I gave him PIP5395A. He did the work the same day and as soon as I hit the road it started again. I know it's not normal or maybe it's not normal to here it in the cabin because the day before taking mine in to the dealer I test drove 2 other trucks (a new 17 and a used 16 with same number of miles) and inside both in the cabin I couldn't here the noise. It's driving me crazy! haha

I know thank you for that.

He drove the truck with me in the passenger and he said that they all do that and that's normal. This was before I gave him PIP5395A. He did the work the same day and as soon as I hit the road it started again. I know it's not normal or maybe it's not normal to here it in the cabin because the day before taking mine in to the dealer I test drove 2 other trucks (a new 17 and a used 16 with same number of miles) and inside both in the cabin I couldn't here the noise. It's driving me crazy! haha

I hope they/you drive some other trucks to compare, then you will have a good argument.

Best of luck to ya!

I am having this same issue something serious. Getting this noise and the typical squeak from the valve after the muffler. I have seen the TSB for both the valve and for the faulty flange after the Y pipe. Took the truck to the dealer and was told the squeak was normal and they wouldn't do anything about it and that they "fixed" the flutter noise by tightening a few screws in the dash and installing some foam tape in the dash. They didn't even attempt to diagnose as an exhaust issue even after I repeatedly said "exhaust leak" to the service advisor when I dropped it off. What do you know...still heard the noise. This was after they had the truck for over a week. Did nothing. Not going back to that dealer. The whole time talking to the service advisors I felt like they were just dismissing what I was saying like I didn't know a thing about cars. Typical.

Took it to another dealer last week and this was after I got under there and saw that there was definitely a leak around the crappy flange after the third cat. (pic below) This dealer ended up replacing from the flange back and said that both issues were resolved. The squeak is fixed but this noise is still there. I got under there and tried to adjust the flange/clamp and tighten it as far as it would go. Noise is still there. Wondering if it is even from there, as they noise sounds an awful lot like it is coming from in front of my shin or under my foot area. Pretty much exactly from where the drivers side cat is at. I am getting more and more irritated because I shouldn't have to be chasing down an exhaust leak, even a small one, on a brand new nearly $50k truck. I honestly feel as though the techs just don't take the time to duplicate the noise, as it is not super apparent. It is to me driving it every day though and it is growing increasingly annoying. I am toying with the idea of having a muffler shop weld that connection but then if that doesn't fix it it'll be back in the dealer and they'll be like, wtf why is this welded.

IMG_4668.jpg

Edited by morris.wade6
  • Like 1

I am having this same issue something serious. Getting this noise and the typical squeak from the valve after the muffler. I have seen the TSB for both the valve and for the faulty flange after the Y pipe. Took the truck to the dealer and was told the squeak was normal and they wouldn't do anything about it and that they "fixed" the flutter noise by tightening a few screws in the dash and installing some foam tape in the dash. They didn't even attempt to diagnose as an exhaust issue even after I repeatedly said "exhaust leak" to the service advisor when I dropped it off. What do you know...still heard the noise. This was after they had the truck for over a week. Did nothing. Not going back to that dealer. The whole time talking to the service advisors I felt like they were just dismissing what I was saying like I didn't know a thing about cars. Typical.

Took it to another dealer last week and this was after I got under there and saw that there was definitely a leak around the crappy flange after the third cat. (pic below) This dealer ended up replacing from the flange back and said that both issues were resolved. The squeak is fixed but this noise is still there. I got under there and tried to adjust the flange/clamp and tighten it as far as it would go. Noise is still there. Wondering if it is even from there, as they noise sounds an awful lot like it is coming from in front of my shin or under my foot area. Pretty much exactly from where the drivers side cat is at. I am getting more and more irritated because I shouldn't have to be chasing down an exhaust leak, even a small one, on a brand new nearly $50k truck. I honestly feel as though the techs just don't take the time to duplicate the noise, as it is not super apparent. It is to me driving it every day though and it is growing increasingly annoying. I am toying with the idea of having a muffler shop weld that connection but then if that doesn't fix it it'll be back in the dealer and they'll be like, wtf why is this welded.

IMG_4668.jpg

Yes, it is infuriating. I've been to the dealer twice. The second time the senior tech drove my truck with me in the passenger and said they all did that, which is false.

You're right it sounds like the noise is created right under the driver's feet. I'm no expert on vehicles but can it possibly be related to the transmission. The tick/rattle is directly correlated with acceleration and it only occurs in Drive. The craziest thing is that I can be driving in silence without the tick or rattle and I hit a bump in the road and it triggers it and then won't stop until I'm at a complete stop. It think if it was exhaust, injector, or pump related, it would be doing it nonstop. However, it also sounds like a pulsing or a "spraying" sound. Is there a right near the footwell that can be making that noise in the video? I'm literally exhausted from trying to find a fix for this thing.

• Like 2

I think I remember seeing a TSB for premature catalytic converter failure, but I think it said that is usually accompanied by a trouble code. Maybe there is a piece rattling around in there but it's not clogging it enough to throw the code. That could explain why yours comes and goes with bumps Dmendoza. I haven't noticed any correlation between bumps and mine coming and going. Seems to be there all the time when I'm at cruising speeds and give it a little throttle.

• 2 months later...

Yes, it is infuriating. I've been to the dealer twice. The second time the senior tech drove my truck with me in the passenger and said they all did that, which is false.

You're right it sounds like the noise is created right under the driver's feet. I'm no expert on vehicles but can it possibly be related to the transmission. The tick/rattle is directly correlated with acceleration and it only occurs in Drive. The craziest thing is that I can be driving in silence without the tick or rattle and I hit a bump in the road and it triggers it and then won't stop until I'm at a complete stop. It think if it was exhaust, injector, or pump related, it would be doing it nonstop. However, it also sounds like a pulsing or a "spraying" sound. Is there a right near the footwell that can be making that noise in the video? I'm literally exhausted from trying to find a fix for this thing.

My truck has the exact same issue with the noise and it starting after hitting a bump. My dealer has replaced the exhaust clamp and the drivers side exhaust manifold with no improvement. Now the dealer mechanic claims he doesnt hear it and all the noises he hears are normal. Im going back to the dealer tomorow for transmission issues with torque converter shutter and will have them look into the noise again. Edited by hotrdlx

Well I'm dropping my truck off tomorrow for the final repair attempt after submitting a written request for a final attempt. It took a while for the appointment but they said it's the soonest the GM regional rep could make it out to the dealer. I've had it with this truck, what started with just this noise and the exhaust valve squeak (which was fixed) has now turned into a shutter on the 1 to 2 shift, a rear end clunk, a leaking differential, a scrape/rattle for a few seconds when you first start moving forward, a popping from the steering shaft when going in and out of a spot, and of course the ever persistent ticking/flutter. At this point I just want out of it. Way too many problems and quality issues for the first year of owning a $50k truck. I'm hoping for a buyback since I don't trust the model or the brand anymore, but have a feeling I'm going to end up with trade assistance. I'm sure there are a lot of guys with no issues and love their trucks and maybe mine is just a lemon. And I know the grass isn't always greener with other brands. But who knows, with the way this whole process has gone down, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep saying these things are normal and refuse to do anything. This will make 7 times in the shop, but hopefully I'll be out of it soon.

Edited by morris.wade6

Just picked my truck up after having a new torque converter installed (for the 2nd time) and once again they claim they do not hear anything out of the ordinary. I believe they just have no clue how to fix and and dont want to throw more parts at it as my bumper to bumper warranty is about to run out.

• 1 year later...

Anyone ever get a good fix on this problem ?

my truck sounds just like the original posters video and I had a torque converter installed and it came out of the local shop with a worse off leaking sound 

I changed the donut gaskets but still no fix 

it has to be the manifolds leaking 

it only does it on acceleration and cold start makes the rest of the exhaust sound like crap 

• 1 year later...
On 5/13/2019 at 11:12 AM, MarcuM said:

Anyone ever get a good fix on this problem ?

my truck sounds just like the original posters video and I had a torque converter installed and it came out of the local shop with a worse off leaking sound 

I changed the donut gaskets but still no fix 

it has to be the manifolds leaking 

it only does it on acceleration and cold start makes the rest of the exhaust sound like crap 

I know this is an old thread but my 2021 6.2 has this same exact noise under the same low RPM's under load.  WTF how can this still be an issue.  The tech that looked at mine said it has something to do with cylinder deactivation and pressure when going from 8-4 cylinders.  Disappointing especially when these trucks cost so damn much.

• 2 years later...

2014 Chevy Silverado LT: I've had a rattle up front ever since we got the truck 2 years ago and after 3 months of looking and listening and tearing the truck down I've found the problem, the exhaust doughnut gaskets. The gaskets wear down overtime causing an annoying rattle up front where the exhaust bolts up to the manifolds, I plan on going full aftermarket exhaust with the week to hopefully solve the issue.