Max tow today

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9800 for his 1500, 9400 for my 2500hd...so yeah, I'm right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is why it was ridiculous that GM offered the 3.73 rear end. The HD with 4.10 is rated to tow more than any 1500 (as it should) because they are a vastly superior towing truck vs the half tons.

And I have preferred the 4.10 over the other ratio offerings for everything, even empty, for decades. Would be nice if they offered the 4.10 in the 1/2 tons. Not just for any rating thing, but for overall better usefulness in various situations outside of just driving a pickup to work daily. And it is a total package in the 2500 vs 1500 towing game. Brakes and components of the 2500 are far superior to the 1500 as well.

And I have preferred the 4.10 over the other ratio offerings for everything, even empty, for decades. Would be nice if they offered the 4.10 in the 1/2 tons. Not just for any rating thing, but for overall better usefulness in various situations outside of just driving a pickup to work daily. And it is a total package in the 2500 vs 1500 towing game. Brakes and components of the 2500 are far superior to the 1500 as well.

Awesome, tell that to the DOT when they pull me over for being overweight.

You do realize that some "packages" are not common on dealer lots...I looked at no less than 50 trucks, within about 100 miles, when I bought this one, out of all those, ONE had 4.10s and it was a work truck with zero options. It didn't matter if it was on a Chevrolet lot or a GMC lot, they were all 3.73 2500HDs. If I ordered one, I was waiting a month and paying full price for a truck that the only difference was a $285 set of gears in the build.

Guess it depends on location and dealerships. I looked over many 2500's roughly the same radius of the house as you say as well before getting mine, and I never saw a 3.73 equipped one in the bunch that I recall. All of them LT's and LTZ's either in DC or CC, and all with 4.10. The only 3.73's were in the Dmax 2500's. I wasn't looking for a Dmax. All the 2015 6.0L in my area had 4.10. To date, except on these types of forums, I have never met anyone that has a 6.0L 3.73 setup. Every 2500 6.0 that folks around my area have in 6.0L are 4.10 equipped. Could be that my area is more agriculture centered and they know no one is going to buy a 3.73 equipped 2500 with the 6.0L.

Guess it depends on location and dealerships. I looked over many 2500's roughly the same radius of the house as you say as well before getting mine, and I never saw a 3.73 equipped one in the bunch that I recall. All of them LT's and LTZ's either in DC or CC, and all with 4.10. The only 3.73's were in the Dmax 2500's. I wasn't looking for a Dmax. All the 2015 6.0L in my area had 4.10. To date, except on these types of forums, I have never met anyone that has a 6.0L 3.73 setup. Every 2500 6.0 that folks around my area have in 6.0L are 4.10 equipped. Could be that my area is more agriculture centered and they know no one is going to buy a 3.73 equipped 2500 with the 6.0L.

Keep in mind that after 2014, 3.73s were no longer offered in the 6.0l 2500hd...wonder why you didn't see any 3.73 geared 6.0l trucks?

Keep in mind that after 2014, 3.73s were no longer offered in the 6.0l 2500hd...wonder why you didn't see any 3.73 geared 6.0l trucks?

Per the 2016 owners manual, 3.73 is available on some configurations with the 6.0L.

Still have the PDF version on my laptop of the 2015 2500 brochure from Chevy. Nary a peep in there about a 3.73 option for the 2500 except as it pertains to the Dmax. Every configuration with the 6.0 shows a 4.10 rear. Never looked at that portion of the brochure before.

I think a lot of my problem with this truck's power (or lack thereof) comes from owning diesels previously and then watching my father's 1500 pull the same weight down the road a whole lot easier than this truck, 3.73s or not.

Simply stating that the chassis is better than a 1500 is like saying a 379 Pete with a Chevette engine is safer than a 3500. Pulling power is a primary safety factor in my book.

I wish these diesel trucks had an auto 4WD mode like the 1500's. When the road is wet, and I need to accelerate briskly from a stop, as soon as the turbo spools up (1000 RPM or so) the tires break loose. I kick in 4WD when I need to, but I am used to the 1500 truck and the auto mode was nice in the rain.

I do realize that the Allison 1000 is not a toy transmission, and my request may not be possible while retaining the reliability we need.

Archived