Just purchased a 1/2-ton Silverado in PA...truck weight class 3 sticke

elton077

Hey, all.

I'm a new member living in Pittsburgh, PA at the moment, until I complete my masters program at Duquesne University and move back home to Orlando, FL afterward. I just bought a brand new-to-me 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab LTZ Z71 4X4 (my FL-owned/registered 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 AWD was totalled a couple months back).

All that said, I have no idea how registration is handled here in PA. Registering a pickup in Florida is pretty darn easy and straightforward (heck, the dealer had to explain to me what the ugly "inspection stickers" on the windshield of my Silverado were all about :lol: ). I got the permanent PA registration sticker and stuff in the mail today so I can take the temporary signage out of the back window and what not. I thought it was going to be straightforward...until a "PA. TRUCK WEIGHT CLASS 3" sticker fell out of the envelope. What the?

This is my personal, 1/2-ton truck, that's going to see fairly light duty at all times. Is this correct? What is this all about? I'm trying to research this issue myself as we speak, but the PA state websites aren't exactly all that helpful; I thought I'd also draw on the expertise of my fellow members here while I continue researching...

Thanks in advance for perusing my "plight" here. HA!

PA has an interesting system I guess?

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV%20Forms/MV-70S.pdf

Their classes are by GVWR in correlation to fee pricing. In traditional truck speak, Class 1 trucks are under 8500 GVWR, Class 2 trucks are 8501-10000 GVWR, and Class 3 is 10001-14000 GVWR.

It appears to be PA DMV's way of issuing registration fees is all. You are class 3 in their book because your GVWR falls in the 7000-9000lbs range.

The class 3 sticker is to be put on your windshield if you plan using the vehicle for towing. Most people don't even bother putting them on 1/2 ton trucks, including me.

Those stickers are supposed to come with all NEW truck registrations, some do and some don't. I never received one when i bought mine in 2011.

Again its only needed if you plan on towing, if not just throw it in your glove box.

The little colored registration date sticker goes on your license plate, that's all you need to worry about.

The class 3 sticker is to be put on your windshield if you plan using the vehicle for towing. Most people don't even bother putting them on 1/2 ton trucks, including me.

Those stickers are supposed to come with all NEW truck registrations, some do and some don't. I never received one when i bought mine in 2011.

Again its only needed if you plan on towing, if not just throw it in your glove box.

The little colored registration date sticker goes on your license plate, that's all you need to worry about.

Got it. Thank you for the info, sir!

I was more than a bit confused. You'll probably get a kick out of this too then. I called the dealer because I thought my little colored registration sticker for the plate was wrong. In Florida, it's strictly tied to the owner's birthday (all my stickers have always been in March). So now, with this Silverado, that I'm already in love with, I have inspection stickers showing August, a plate registration sticker showing September and purchase documents showing October.

Which brings me to my next reply...

PA has an interesting system I guess?

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV%20Forms/MV-70S.pdf

Their classes are by GVWR in correlation to fee pricing. In traditional truck speak, Class 1 trucks are under 8500 GVWR, Class 2 trucks are 8501-10000 GVWR, and Class 3 is 10001-14000 GVWR.

It appears to be PA DMV's way of issuing registration fees is all. You are class 3 in their book because your GVWR falls in the 7000-9000lbs range.

Man, Pennsylvania has an "interesting" system indeed. This is an absolutely gorgeous state and the folks here are really nice/cool, but these vehicle requirements are something else for a Florida boy like me. :D

Inspection and emissions dates used to be tied directly to your registration date, but we stopped that about 10 years ago or so.

You would think with all the fees and taxes the states roads would be in better condition.

Wolfe needs to get his money somewhere i guess.

They were supposed to get rid of the little registration stickers back in july and just have police use a license plate scanner. We see how far that got.

PA sucks, I hate it. Can't wait to move. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's changed, but I'm confused as to why your not weight class 2? The last new truck I owned was a 2011 and it was a class 2. Not sure why yours isn't 2 as well.

Per the weights listed yours should be class 2 should it not? I'd look into that, should make it cheaper if it's really class 2 right?

Also in Florida half tons and cars go by the birthday month, when you go to 2500s and 3500s our registration goes to December. At least I think k my 2500 was December, probably stuff over 9k or 9.5k gross maybe? I don't really understand why, money for one obviously, but I agree our system seems a lot easier than PA. Shame too since PA is one of the few states that far north on the east coast I'd ever consider living in.

PA sucks, I hate it. Can't wait to move. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's changed, but I'm confused as to why your not weight class 2? The last new truck I owned was a 2011 and it was a class 2. Not sure why yours isn't 2 as well.

I think sometimes the tag places upsell people, I had a 6.0 powerstroke I flipped recently and at some shady tag place they pushed for me to get it registered as a class 4 since it was a diesel.

Per the weights listed yours should be class 2 should it not? I'd look into that, should make it cheaper if it's really class 2 right?

Also in Florida half tons and cars go by the birthday month, when you go to 2500s and 3500s our registration goes to December. At least I think k my 2500 was December, probably stuff over 9k or 9.5k gross maybe? I don't really understand why, money for one obviously, but I agree our system seems a lot easier than PA. Shame too since PA is one of the few states that far north on the east coast I'd ever consider living in.

Not all depends on the gross combined vehicle weight or something close not sure the acronym. Mine is rated at 7750 and mine is registered in dec

I guess my '73 c10 was under 7k then. I figured they'd bump up at 9k,obviously I'm too dumb and lazy to Google it lol

I think the dually is about $150 and my 2500 was $120ish? It's been almost a year, I forget things after a week. I'll find out on the dually in couple weeks when voluntarily let the govt steal from me :-P

K2 crew cabs are 7100 GVWR or higher. Based on that chart I linked from the PA DOT, and OP having a 4x4 crew, he would be 7200 GVWR, falling in the 7001-9000 GVWR Class 3 registration fee thingy.

The weight class sticker is only really needed if the vehicle is used commercially.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The weight class is based off the title..if the titled GVW is in the class 3 range, you really can't change that like you could at one point. It's all about $$. If it's over 9000 GVW, you are exempt from emissions on the east side of the state. I agree though, that truck should most likely be a class 2. Could someone have had the registered weight changed in Florida before you? Pennsylvania is tough now to change that, maybe other states are still easy?

Also, the registration sticker goes away for January 2017.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Archived