Thanks guys....traded the 15 Silverado yesterday.

Good luck with the new truck! The Silverado isn't for everyone. You just have to buy what suits you the best. I'd feel a lot better with an HD truck if I towed a lot like you do.

duplicate post, delete.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After driving the Ram a few days, i can make a few observations.

- the shifting is better on the Ram but not perfect either. No downshift clunks, some engine lugging but not nearly as bad as my Silverado. It's much more willing to downshift than the Silverado with much lighter throttle application.

- the interior of my Silverado was nicer than my ram, but this ram is a base model (tradesman) but even in higher trims the Silverado interior is nicer.

- the Ram is just as quiet going down the road as the Silverado, the cab is very quiet inside

- the throttle on the Ram is much more responsive. This is how the Silverados should come from the factory. I always disliked the lazy throttle on my Silverado.

I still think both trucks are nice, good trucks though. Like anything else, pros and cons to each.

Yesterday I traded my 15 Silverado 1500 for a 17 Dodge Ram 2500 HD.

I don't have anything bad to say about my Chevrolet. It was a decent truck for the 11k miles I owned it. I wanted a 2500 series truck a year and a half ago when I bought the Silverado, but convinced myself i didn't need a 3/4 ton truck.

Since that time I know loaded for camping trips i was only a few hundred pounds under the payload rating and that bothered me. Plus we are looking at bigger campers now, so I'd have had even less margin.

The Chevy dealer wanted around $1200 to put trailer tow mirrors on my truck and the Ram came with them. I just couldn't see putting that money into the trailer tow mirrors, spending $800+ to upgrade the tires and then still have a 1/2 ton truck. I decided it best for my family to put that money into a 3/4 ton truck and have a lot more margin.

I didn't care for the carpeted inner wheel wells, wax coated frame, and some other issues, but those are minor complaints. No truck is perfect, I'm sure the ram will have it's quirks also. The tundra seems solid, but i don't like foreign trucks personally. The Silverado treated me well. It was a good truck.

After looking at the 2500HD Chevrolet, F250 Ford, All things considered, i liked the Ram the best.

I liked the looks of the Ram best and they have some innovative features like the in floor storage bins, under rear seat recessed storage area,etc. The 6.4 Hemi has a lot of power.

I just wanted to thank you all for all the help over the past few years. You all are great and this is a great forum.

Happy New year. I wish you all the best.

Take care,

- G

Good luck with new truck. They are very nice. My boss has a new 2500HD ram and I have to say it's a really nice truck. Glad to see you stayed with one of the big three. Hope you enjoy it.

Good luck with new truck. They are very nice. My boss has a new 2500HD ram and I have to say it's a really nice truck. Glad to see you stayed with one of the big three. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks 15, i appreciate that. Yes it's nice, but so are all of the big 3s trucks. It's personal preference, pros and cons and deciding what is most important to you. and yes i don't like foreign trucks! i didn't even consider one

After driving the Ram a few days, i can make a few observations.

- the shifting is better on the Ram but not perfect either. No downshift clunks, some engine lugging but not nearly as bad as my Silverado. It's much more willing to downshift than the Silverado with much lighter throttle application.

- the interior of my Silverado was nicer than my ram, but this ram is a base model (tradesman) but even in higher trims the Silverado interior is nicer.

- the Ram is just as quiet going down the road as the Silverado, the cab is very quiet inside

- the throttle on the Ram is much more responsive. This is how the Silverados should come from the factory. I always disliked the lazy throttle on my Silverado.

I still think both trucks are nice, good trucks though. Like anything else, pros and cons to each.

Nice comparison now that you have driven / owned both. Keep us updated on how it treats you in the future!

Good luck with the ram!

I've always like the ram. Liked the Idea of the Rebel but the air suspension kills it for me. The new Power Wagon though....man oh man if I only had the money.

Thanks, yes the power wagon is a cool truck no doubt.

Nice comparison now that you have driven / owned both. Keep us updated on how it treats you in the future!

Sure thing. Like I said there is no perfect truck and all from the big 3 build good trucks. I'm just hoping it gives me good service

Snow Chief eh? Pics or it didn't happen!!!!!

Sorry man, i tried and the system won't let me upload the picture. I tried. The Snow Chief package gives you a steel transfer case skid plate, an anti-spin rear diff and clearance lights on the cab, maybe a few other items, i can't remember right off.

I did the same thing you did, this past summer I traded in our 2014 GMC 1500 for a Ram 2500HD w/ 6.4 hemi. Our GMC was a great truck but we were towing a 30' 7,000 lb travel trailer and it was maxing out the GMC.

We wanted to stay with the GM family but they wouldn't work with us on price for a 2500, two salesman actually laughed at me when I made (according to Edmunds.com) a good offer. Fords were out of the question ( wife doesn't like them) so we decided to give the Ram a look. We got a great deal on the new truck and the trade in.

The Ram has performed great, almost 10,000 miles on it already, about 2,000 of that pulling our travel trailer.

I hope your new Ram treats you as well as mine has treated us!

I did the same thing you did, this past summer I traded in our 2014 GMC 1500 for a Ram 2500HD w/ 6.4 hemi. Our GMC was a great truck but we were towing a 30' 7,000 lb travel trailer and it was maxing out the GMC.

We wanted to stay with the GM family but they wouldn't work with us on price for a 2500, two salesman actually laughed at me when I made (according to Edmunds.com) a good offer. Fords were out of the question ( wife doesn't like them) so we decided to give the Ram a look. We got a great deal on the new truck and the trade in.

The Ram has performed great, almost 10,000 miles on it already, about 2,000 of that pulling our travel trailer.

I hope your new Ram treats you as well as mine has treated us!

You married a smart woman.

Archived