Thanks guys....traded the 15 Silverado yesterday.

Yesterday I traded my 15 Silverado 1500 for a 17 Dodge Ram 2500 HD.

I don't have anything bad to say about my Chevrolet. It was a decent truck for the 11k miles I owned it. I wanted a 2500 series truck a year and a half ago when I bought the Silverado, but convinced myself i didn't need a 3/4 ton truck.

Since that time I know loaded for camping trips i was only a few hundred pounds under the payload rating and that bothered me. Plus we are looking at bigger campers now, so I'd have had even less margin.

The Chevy dealer wanted around $1200 to put trailer tow mirrors on my truck and the Ram came with them. I just couldn't see putting that money into the trailer tow mirrors, spending $800+ to upgrade the tires and then still have a 1/2 ton truck. I decided it best for my family to put that money into a 3/4 ton truck and have a lot more margin.

I didn't care for the carpeted inner wheel wells, wax coated frame, and some other issues, but those are minor complaints. No truck is perfect, I'm sure the ram will have it's quirks also. The tundra seems solid, but i don't like foreign trucks personally. The Silverado treated me well. It was a good truck.

After looking at the 2500HD Chevrolet, F250 Ford, All things considered, i liked the Ram the best.

I liked the looks of the Ram best and they have some innovative features like the in floor storage bins, under rear seat recessed storage area,etc. The 6.4 Hemi has a lot of power.

I just wanted to thank you all for all the help over the past few years. You all are great and this is a great forum.

Happy New year. I wish you all the best.

Take care,

- G

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on your purchase! Post up some pics when you get a chance. Happy New Years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Here she is. Petty basic as it was when I drove it home. Since this was I the works for a few weeks (dealer had ordered this truck prior and it hadent come in yet) I had ordered the Ram molded deluxe splash guards, weathertech bug shield and Raptor series 4" stainless wheel to wheel side steps for it.

I got all installed yesterday except the front splash guards. Those are later today's work.

Just a basic work truck really, but that's all i need. The Silverado had heated leather seats (don't like leather), navigation, remote start, the 7" touch screen, etc.

None of that in the dodge, but it does have pw, pdl, cruise, Bluetooth phone connectivity ac, back up camera, rear sonar system, oem trailer tow mirrors with integrated turn signals, clearance lights and puddle lights (heated), Snow Chief group with a steel transfer case skid plate, led bed lights (Silverado had those also), etc.

It will suit it's purpose well.

Edit, i can't get the picture to upload for some reason. Sorry about that

Yesterday I traded my 15 Silverado 1500 for a 17 Dodge Ram 2500 HD.

I don't have anything bad to say about my Chevrolet. It was a decent truck for the 11k miles I owned it. I wanted a 2500 series truck a year and a half ago when I bought the Silverado, but convinced myself i didn't need a 3/4 ton truck.

Since that time I know loaded for camping trips i was only a few hundred pounds under the payload rating and that bothered me. Plus we are looking at bigger campers now, so I'd have had even less margin.

The Chevy dealer wanted around $1200 to put trailer tow mirrors on my truck and the Ram came with them. I just couldn't see putting that money into the trailer tow mirrors, spending $800+ to upgrade the tires and then still have a 1/2 ton truck. I decided it best for my family to put that money into a 3/4 ton truck and have a lot more margin.

I didn't care for the carpeted inner wheel wells, wax coated frame, and some other issues, but those are minor complaints. No truck is perfect, I'm sure the ram will have it's quirks also. The tundra seems solid, but i don't like foreign trucks personally. The Silverado treated me well. It was a good truck.

After looking at the 2500HD Chevrolet, F250 Ford, All things considered, i liked the Ram the best.

I liked the looks of the Ram best and they have some innovative features like the in floor storage bins, under rear seat recessed storage area,etc. The 6.4 Hemi has a lot of power.

I just wanted to thank you all for all the help over the past few years. You all are great and this is a great forum.

Happy New year. I wish you all the best.

Take care,

- G

I'm looking to do the same thing with my truck. Can I ask how bad the hit was in your truck? Loss of 30% or 40% of value?

I hope it's a good and safe truck for you and your family.

PS your signature is one of my favorite verses

Thanks Brother! God is Good. :)

I'm looking to do the same thing with my truck. Can I ask how bad the hit was in your truck? Loss of 30% or 40% of value?

I don't know the percentage, but it was not too bad at all. Of course I lost some (trade in allowance versus what I paid for it) However, I didn't think it was too bad, considering the truck would have been 2 years old (since my date of possession) in Early May of this year (2017). It also had 10,800 miles on it as well and had a stone chip on the hood, which i touched up but always saw it there and would have had the hood painted this spring if I kept the truck. I used the truck for over a year and a half so i was not expecting to get out of it what I paid for it. Trucks hold their value extremely well and I figured if I was going to make this move, do it now before my truck is any older or has more miles on it and would be worth less.

I felt the Dodge dealer was very fair with me and worked hard to get me some extra discounts/rebates. If your a Sam's club member, up until 1.3.17 I think it is, you can get a $1,000 rebate from Sams which my truck qualified for. Without going into specifics, let's say the difference I was out on this deal was partially consumed by what I would have had to spend to put the Chevy OEM trailer tow mirrors on my truck and upgrade the P rated tires. The difference above that was what I really was out on this deal and considering I went to a 2 model year newer truck and 2500 HD series, it was not that big of a difference. Again, I went from a highly optioned LT to a Ram Tradesman which helped make the difference not as large as it would have been. But again, I didn't need all that fancy stuff. I'm a simple country man and just like simple (relatively speaking) trucks.

I have always heard if you want to buy a new vehicle, the end of the year there are great deals to be had and this experience confirmed that. Good luck if you decide to make a move ! :)

Good luck with the new truck! The Silverado isn't for everyone. You just have to buy what suits you the best. I'd feel a lot better with an HD truck if I towed a lot like you do.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Like any brand, the 3/4 ton is just so much more substantial in nearly every way so I'm looking forward to seeing how it does on the first camping trip this year. :)

Congratulations on your new truck! 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups are a different experience than a 1/2 ton no matter what the brand!

Hi Don,

Agreed 100% with the weight of my 1989 Layton (heavy for it's size) plus all of the camping gear for my family of 4, firewood, etc. Coupled with the fact that we are looking at bigger campers and the major annoyance of dealing with those crappy Longview slip on trailer tow mirrors every time I tow (and their very limited rear visibility) I felt it was time to move up to a 3/4 ton truck. If I didn't have a travel trailer it would not be as much of a concern, but I just couldn't live with dealing with those slip on mirror extenders any longer, along with the payload concerns of my 1500 series truck.

This Ram sits up there high, wide and handsome, no doubt about it! :)

Archived