Sugar Bears 2015 GMC Terrain SLE-2 2.4 AWD

Grumpy Bear

Since the wife doesn't check the oil how about overfill of oil when she goes on a trip? The amount of oil I will leave to your discretion. I would think 8-12 ounces wouldn't hurt anything. I overfilled my 93(it was a V8) by this amount and sometimes half a quart, never had a problem.

:)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Since the wife doesn't check the oil how about overfill of oil when she goes on a trip? The amount of oil I will leave to your discretion. I would think 8-12 ounces wouldn't hurt anything. I overfilled my 93(it was a V8) by this amount and sometimes half a quart, never had a problem.

Not a bad idea. 

This is killing me though. My need to know stuff self. I'll bet if I drove this thing for 1 OCI it wouldn't use a a 1/2 of a pint in 5K.

Hard to see what if any progress is has been made. Know how my dad felt now when I broke my arm in my early teens. The cast chaffed my thumb so I'd cut the cast away with a hacksaw blade. This hindered healing and I'd get a new cast and another 4 weeks. Did it a couple of times before he made me see the error of my ways. :lol:

She drives to a job 200 round trip and gets nearly 30 mpg. A first and she sends me a photo of the digital information as she's going. Backed it down from 73/73 to 67 mph. Trip average I noted was down 6 mph from her normal. I think she got the point. 

Last two days working on the paint. Summit White and I hate this paint. Not the color but the paint. Set back last night due to a storm ripping through our area at 80 mph. Looked like it hadn't been washed in years afterward. Was washed just hours before. Start over. Tree sap, tar, bug juice, road oil and just for fun my neighbor has been burning trash for several days, ash and water are really not paint friendly and the farmer spraying the field behind my house via airplane. Fungicide that leaves a hard to remove white powder. All within the last 48 hours. Yea, garage is full of cars. 

Power washed, the foamed and flushed. Felt like 2500 grit paper. Lots of asphalt/tar/oil so a mineral spirits wipe down which didn't remove much. Wow! Some panels clay bars worked, like the hood. Lots of rail rust. Other like the front fascia requiring 5000 grit sanding, compounding and/or SX 330. I start with the least aggressive and work forward until whatever needed removing is removed. Not fixing chip right now. I have enough on my plate. 

Hybrid ceramic wax when I get it where I want it. This is going to take days. All hand work. When I get it done I'll go back and start stripping wax from areas than need chip repairs. Do it and re-wax as I go. 

Question?

3600 miles on current oil and filter?

600 miles driven and added a quart?

A suggestion. This has worked for me with motors before. 

Switch oil brands. Worth a try. Castrol, Pennzoil ?

Maybe consider Amsoil OE oil. 100% synthetic. $5.45 a quart. U.S. Preferred Customer price. Definitely an upgrade compared to off the shelf oil.

My current trucks(2012 Sierra 5.3) oil consumption went down by switching oil brands. Quaker State to Castrol Magnatec. Magnatech cut oil usage by 50% or more.

Had a lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton. As it aged it started using oil. Was using Valvoline. Switched to Pennzoil. Cut usage in half.

You never know what will work but if you are going to keep this car worth some experimenting IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

Question?

3600 miles on current oil and filter?

600 miles driven and added a quart?

A suggestion. This has worked for me with motors before. 

Switch oil brands. Worth a try. Castrol, Pennzoil ?

Maybe consider Amsoil OE oil. 100% synthetic. $5.45 a quart. U.S. Preferred Customer price. Definitely an upgrade compared to off the shelf oil.

My current trucks(2012 Sierra 5.3) oil consumption went down by switching oil brands. Quaker State to Castrol Magnatec. Magnatech cut oil usage by 50% or more.

Had a lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton. As it aged it started using oil. Was using Valvoline. Switched to Pennzoil. Cut usage in half.

You never know what will work but if you are going to keep this car worth some experimenting IMO.

Goes to the shop tonight to check the simple things first and another ring soak. An oil change is part of this. Going back to Valvoline from AMSOIL. Last last night I took it to fill the gas for her trip today and when I got home parked it. One last check on the same place I checked it before the fill up....a half pint over???????

I've had some cars do some weird things like a Ford 352 that use to toss the first quart off every oil change and then wouldn't budge a drop for the rest of the OCI. This thing used next to nothing for a few thousand and then...BOOM! 

These 2.4's have a rep for ring failures. OEM even extended the warranty on them. This one lasted literally until 1K past that extension. 

Tell ya what will not happen. I won't sell it or trade it in this condition. I honestly wouldn't do that to my worst enemy. If it's rings it will get a new crate long block. I'll push the Honda over a cliff, drive this one myself to replace the Honda and she will buy something else....

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Good luck

Real happy with our 19 Honda CR-V. The 4 banger turbo is getting 31 mpg in the mountains.

Oil?

The CR-V has been getting Castrol Edge. 3 oil changes with 4+ K miles. The Edge($22.38 5 quarts) is costing $4.47 a quart from Walmart online. Amsoil OE, 100% synthetic is $5.45 a quart. At these prices it would cost $3.40 more per oil change to switch to Amsoil. If Edge goes up anymore I will switch to Amsoil and go to 5 K mile OCI.

Edited by diyer2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Good luck

Real happy with our 19 Honda CR-V. The 4 banger turbo is getting 31 mpg in the mountains.

Oil?

The CR-V has been getting Castrol Edge. 3 oil changes with 4+ K miles. The Edge($22.38 5 quarts) is costing $4.47 a quart from Walmart online. Amsoil OE, 100% synthetic is $5.45 a quart. At these prices it would cost $3.40 more per oil change to switch to Amsoil. If Edge goes up anymore I will switch to Amsoil and go to 5 K mile OCI.

What's your take on the CVT transmission? 

My only complaint about the CVT trans is going down grades. No way to lower gears to control speed. Our Honda has Drive, S and Low.  S is for mountain driving IMO.

From the manual.

Drive Normal driving. Drive (S) ● Better acceleration ● Used to increase engine braking ● Used when going up or down hills Low ● Used to further increase engine braking ● Used when going up or down hills.

It requires using the brakes to keep your speed under control when going down grades. Low is to low. One grade we descend regularly it will get to 60 + mph on a 35 - 40 mph  road. Lots of curves so you have to use the brakes. Otherwise it does a good job IMO. Good acceleration when you want it, like for passing  on a 2 lane road. I also think the trans helps a with mileage. Nothing is perfect.

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

My only complaint about the CVT trans is going down grades. No way to lower gears to control speed. Our Honda has Drive, S and Low.  S is for mountain driving IMO.

From the manual.

Drive Normal driving. Drive (S) ● Better acceleration ● Used to increase engine braking ● Used when going up or down hills Low ● Used to further increase engine braking ● Used when going up or down hills.

It requires using the brakes to keep your speed under control when going down grades. Low is to low. One grade we descend regularly it will get to 60 + mph on a 35 - 40 mph  road. Lots of curves so you have to use the brakes. Otherwise it does a good job IMO. Good acceleration when you want it, like for passing  on a 2 lane road. I also think the trans helps a with mileage. Nothing is perfect.

I know it's to early to tell but what are your thoughts on reliability of belt boxes? 

She's already out kicking tires. :) 

You know what burns my bacon about this? They know what the problem is and wont say. If I knew why I could proceed with some plan but as is even if I buy a crate motor, it get the same result 100 K from now. Here's a plan. No more GM with motors without long history. That pretty much sews up the bag. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear