Sugar Bears 2015 GMC Terrain SLE-2 2.4 AWD

Grumpy Bear

Not keeping the long term records on this daily driver I do on Pepper so trends I can't speak to. That said. I've mentioned the wife takes this work trip once a week that is 230 miles round trip down the I-88 corridor. Speed limit is 70 mph. She drives it 75. I've driven to Galena three times now which is a 210 mile trip down US 20. Four lane about half way with a 65 mph limit and 55 the remainder at 55 mph. I drive it 55 mph. Both are west-east-west round trip runs. Galena is very hilly on the two lane and the Moline trip is pretty flat.

Sugar Bear 21-23 mpg

Grumpy Bear 29-31 mpg

The 2.4 I4 is economical only if driven so. Still it has plenty of power even in the hilly stuff.

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have never owned a vehicle that is as hard to keep clean as this one. Wait, I still don’t. It’s the wife’s.

35,000 services and all it good. Real good. Do have an issue with the visor over the information screen. Clips broke and new is on order.

• 5 weeks later...

Spent two days cleaning and sealing the paint redoing part of it. Ran my hand over a section that felt like sandpaper when I thought it done. Strip it of wax then clay, clay and more clay. Nu-Finish liquid sealer followed. My arms are shot. I'm betting this ride has NEVER been sealed or waxed EVER.

Even with ribbing in the roof...don't kid yourself; sit a bottle of beer on the roof at your own peril. Pure tin foil. Just like the pickup.

Well it took about a day for the birds to undo two days work. The Mrs. a trip back and forth to work once to cover the front in bugs again. Took under an hour to clean it this time. this Nu-Finish is quite good I opine. Less than ten minutes on the front end. Wow!!

Talked to GMC service today about our new Terrain, (bought 2015 SLT a week after we bough our 2016 GMC Sierra SLT). Wanted to replace the headlights and fogs with LED because we like the look of it and the actual candle power of the white light in the dark. Turns out GM doesn't make an LED upgrade package for headlights or fogs for the Terrain. They told me we have to check out third party options.

So, is there anything out there that would provide a 3rd party option similar to the Sierra LED headlights?

Another interest we had is to put the wheel well/fender trim on all four fenders like the Sierra, again GM doesn't make them for the Terrain, and the service tech told me there is no third party option either.

Does anybody have any pics of their Terrain with customizations? Ours is "Cream/Champagne" color with double black/red pin stripe down the sides and 18" premium alloy/chrome wheels.

Last question, How do you know if you have an SLT 1 or 2? The tag only states SLT but I see a lot of SLE's even have some of the same features.

Edited by jernatety

Talked to GMC service today about our new Terrain, (bought 2015 SLT a week after we bough our 2016 GMC Sierra SLT). Wanted to replace the headlights and fogs with LED because we like the look of it and the actual candle power of the white light in the dark. Turns out GM doesn't make an LED upgrade package for headlights or fogs for the Terrain. They told me we have to check out third party options.

So, is there anything out there that would provide a 3rd party option similar to the Sierra LED headlights?

Another interest we had is to put the wheel well/fender trim on all four fenders like the Sierra, again GM doesn't make them for the Terrain, and the service tech told me there is no third party option either.

Does anybody have any pics of their Terrain with customizations? Ours is "Cream/Champagne" color with double black/red pin stripe down the sides and 18" premium alloy/chrome wheels.

Last question, How do you know if you have an SLT 1 or 2? The tag only states SLT but I see a lot of SLE's even have some of the same features.

I've never looked into the LED options as I find the headlamps on this rig more than enough. Fact is I'm down right impressed. So can't help you on that one.

Fender trim. Yea I saw some generic moldable somewhere but I can't remember where.

On item three this might help. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-d2042_ds549741

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

50,000 mile service. Mobil 1 WIX filter oil change. Valvoline Synthetic service drain and fill on the transmission. Fluid was a bit dark. Make note to change on shorter intervals. Brake system power bleed. Balance and rotate tires. Still looking good. Top to bottom inspection. No issues found. Will do diff's on next service. Just ran out of time today. 

Two other notes. Was looking to do Mobil 1 Trans as well but unable to find a local source. Check into trans filter service. Books showed no filter number so pan was not dropped. Weird. 

Seems the 6T45 transmission does have a filter. Just not one that can be replaced without removal and full teardown of the gearbox. Looks like GM thinks the best time to replace a filter meant to help prevent disaster is best replaced after the fact. GM is starting to wear a bit thin with me. Just don't know which is of the lesser evils is actually less evil. They all seem to be drinking from the same cup.  

Edited by Grumpy Bear

• 1 month later...

Routine wash today. Blisters on the lift gate. 55K on the clock. Post the 3 year 36K corrosion warranty and it wont rust through in another 1500 miles and yet,  just two winters on her. GM doesn't find this dishonorable. It's out of warranty. Lift gate? Really? Not exactly in the line of fire. Out of warranty indeed. 

Actually it isn't. Oh it may be out of GM"s warranty but It isn't out of my guarantee. Same guarantee I make anyone or any company I ever buy anything from. Intentionally sell me a blind horse and I guarantee you, you sell me no more horses. :loser:

FORD did this to me in 1976. I've never bought another new FORD since. Looks like Dodge is next up. 

No, I wont run out of sellers. I'm 64. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

55,000 mile service.

Quaker State 5W20 full synthetic and WIX filter.

Rotate tires after pulling a nail and making a repair. Plug and boot. Thank you Deegan's. 7/32" left in tread and wearing well. Reset tire pressures to sticker 35 psig.

Replaced fog lamp blubs with like and kind. Drivers side popped a week ago or so. Routine checks. All is good.

Wife is a nail magnet. If there is one in the county she'll find it. :lol:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1