Sugar Bears 2015 GMC Terrain SLE-2 2.4 AWD

Grumpy Bear

Swathdiver asked:  We need a newer vehicle to replace our Montana and the Terrain is up for consideration but know nothing about its quality and durability.  What year is yours and what can you tell us about it Marty?  TIA.

2015 SLE. This generation of Terrain 2.4l motored SUV's had some problems pre 2015 and I know nothing about the new ones. Totally different SUV save the name. 

It's been a good vehicle and she drives it hard but not abusive. The 2.4 has cam phasing solenoid issues that are not oil related but can be if you don't practice good oil maintenance practices. Not a problem you would have sir.  It's not an expensive fix and one you could do in the drive. Codes P0010 inlet and P0011 Exhaust. As bad as the GM part is the others like Doorman are worse. 100K on this one before one needed service. 

Use the severe service schedule and you will run it a long time. My personal experience with this truck has been that if you use a 30W of either Red Line or AMSOIL it uses very little oil but if you use Mobil or Quaker State etc. it will. I think this had more to do the fact those two are very detergent (keeps the oil control rings working) in nature and if one use the other brands mentioned on shorter OCI's it would be fine. Our OCI is 5K and Red Line 0W30. Surertech 5W30 and 2500/3000 mile changes is a thing I wouldn't mind trying. It might also have something to do with the fact Sugar Bear drives with a fire under her back side. :) 

6T45 transmission works nice. It does not have a replaceable filter. It has one but you have to take the trans apart to change it. 50K services, drop and fills have been working fine. We use Valvoline Full Synthetic D6/ 

It rides and drives very well. Good long haul rig when you have cloth seats. I would stay away from White. Any flavor of it. Choose a color, any color but not white. Stuff wont stay put not matter how good the prep. The AC 'climate control' is touchy. It's not programed like the 2000-2010 Buicks. Set points of 73 and lower are AC and above are heat. Little blending but it is more annoying that anything else. Small potatoes. 

This is built like an Amana Refrigerator. That is good and bad. Door sills are hard to keep clean. Lower plastic shielding on the bottom of the doors has done a fine job of keeping parking lot dents at bay. Very quite. Nice sound system. Pleasant experience. 

It is NOT as economical as one might think. Mid 20's at 70 mph on good days and low 20's in wind. Challenged above 75 mph in any sort of head wind for acceleration but will cruse much higher if that is your flavor. The V6 would be more powerful and perhaps more economical. Thing is I'm not sure if it is the same 3.6 as the Cadillac. Some swear by it, some swear at it. Like anything mechanical it's more about you than it....right? We would have bought the V6 if I had known how fuelly the 2.4 is. 

GM chrome grill is absolute garbage even if you clear bra it. Some sort of adhesive foil that is paper thin. But then they are all like that. Paint and Bra the entire nose, and A pillars. Leading roof and mirror backs.

Would I buy it again. Yes. It's been a workhorse for the wife.  I'd just not get white nor the chrome package and protect the exterior better. I expect this thing to run longer than the body will last. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

Thank you Marty, I was wondering if the little 4 would be economical or not, compared with the other offerings.  My wife and yours must've gone to the same driving school!  

It could be if.... :) 

On 9/9/2019 at 2:58 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

It could be if.... :) 

Never happen with her lead foot!  But maybe there's hope yet!  She's been driving my truck and her weekly run is 476 miles.  She's actually slowed down to try and stretch the tank, trying to complete the week before refueling!  LOL

Then she has her eyes on a 6.2 Denali...

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

105,000 Mile Service

104,890 actual: 4810 miles OCI. 

0W30 Red Line and NAPA Gold filter. Repeat it did. Between a cup and a half quart used. 

Rotate tires. Wearing well. 

Injector service by gas additive. Once each 5K miles.  Routine. Some PEA add. Not that picky. 

Nothing much else to report this time. Running like a top. Dirty as a pig. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

110,000 Mile Service

110,129 actual: 5239 mile OCI. 

5 quarts AMSOIL SS 5W30 and Purolator filter. Less than a cup this time between changes. My guess, the rings were starting to gum up. The Red Line did it's job cleaning them up. I got a good price on the AMSOIL which in this SAE grade has a lower NOACH. Lets see if we can get it home. 

Balance and rotate tires. Check brakes and all good. Add a bottle of Gumout Complete to the tank. 

Emptied the washer reservoir and refilled with Purple Power -35 fluid. Purged lines. 

• 2 months later...

115,000 Mile Service

This one will take some time. She ate up a quart and a half in 4,000 miles and turned black as the Ace of Spades. Filler cap is full of white snot and free water. Air filter box full of water as well. PCV systems orifice seems plugged. 

Shop will be running test and cleaning to determine root cause. I'll say more when I know more.

Don't trouble-trouble till trouble troubles you. 

• 2 weeks later...

115,000 Mile Service Redux 

114,600 Actual 4471 OCI. 

PCV system was indeed plugged. This required removal of the inlet manifold....Yea......

Resized_20200303_101047.thumb.jpg.4809dc339fb816cba1484abaa50cff91.jpg

AC Delco top end cleaner and two days with a toothbrush had them back to showroom clean..YEA!!!

PCV orifice required drilling out per TSB. Plugs were pulled and chamber soaked overnight then Motovac'd. Oil changed twice. 

Valve cover pulled and baffles cleaned. New gaskets though out. 

5 Quarts NAPA D1G2 5W30 (Valvoline Full Synthetic) several NAPA 57082 filters sacrificed. 

AC system recharged. 

Now we are in the drive and measure mode for oil consumption. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

115,316 Mile Service. 

115,316 actual 716 mile OCI.

Got it hot and dropped a can of GUNK Motor Flush in her and let it idle for 30 minutes. Yuck! This does not speak well of Quaker State UD which was the majority oil since we got her. OR 5K OCI's are too long. 

5 Quarts NAPA 5W30 and NAPA filter. 

No measurable oil used but moisture still present. So far, so good. 

Target next service at 117,500 or 2200 miles from now. Monitoring moisture and oil consumption. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

• 2 weeks later...

3/27/2020

115,912 miles

Replaced drivers side low beam. Done through the drivers side fender apron. 3 minutes instead of three hours. Lady down the street noticed it out from her window. (Shelter behavior) :) Thanks!!

• Like 1