2017 6.2 with 8 speed transmission shudder

New here so excuse the lack of navigation skills on the site. Sadly I just bought my first new truck at 40. I am a die hard Chevy man and have been my whole life. I own a 65 Vette, 72 blazer, 82k10,97 k3500 and now a 2017 Silverado crew cab 4x4 with 6.2 and 8 speed. At 680 miles today I noticed a transmission shudder/vibration at 50-60 mph. Feels like driving over rumble strips. Very consistent like from front to rear of truck. I have noticed some clunking/gear searching issues with the trans previously and an occasional hesitation but nothing rediculous. But this vibration is unacceptable for a 55k truck. It will be going to the dealer in the morning. I have found others with these issues on here but seemed to be in 2015 and 16 models and appeared Gm was resolving the issues with a new converter/clutch packs and programming for 2017? Sadly it appears the problem is not resolved. If anyone has previous experience with this and actually got it fixed please let me know. This is my dream truck and I hope it doesn't turn into a nightmare. Thanks in advance for any and all help or information I can pass on to my dealer.

I can almost guarantee that it's the famous torque converter shudder. My buddy with 2015 6.2 with the 8 speed had the same shudder between 50-60 mph, and a new torque converter fixed it. 9,000 trouble free miles since the fix.

I think I have the same problem on a 2016 Silverado double cab with 6.2L. Mine happens at highway speeds, but it is very inconsistent, sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days, then it will happen 5 times in a 10 mile drive. Mine has about 1500 miles.

First new truck to, the dealer I found my truck at is 2 hours away. Do I just go into a dealer close to me, or would I have to go to the dealer I bought from?

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking is its the converter. Only problem is you'd think my 2017 would have the same updated version they put in your buddies 2015 from the factory? At least I used to be a service tech at the dealership that does my work and I bought the truck from so I they know I'm not making this stuff up.hopefully they will take care of the problem and me to the best of there ability. Of course Gm has to get this problem sorted out first.

Patrick, you can go to any dealer but the one you bought it from likely will take better care of you so to speak as far as a loaner car and such. I'd try the closest one first as this issue will probably take more than one visit from what I've saw. I also found my truck an hour and half away as it was the only one in nc like I wanted, but I had it dealer transferred to my local dealership in case issues like this occurred and due to my previous work relationship with them.

Newell, I completely agree. And I hinged on that heavily as I knew they were some clunking issues with the previous 8 speeds but that's not so bad to me as the shudder and hesitation. I thought surely they would have a handle on it by now? Plus I had my heart set on the 6.2 so the 8 speed was only choice. I love the engine and the truck, but these trans issues have to be fixed. Unlike others if I can't drive a Chevrolet I'll ride a horse! Lol. So I can't just change brands.i considered a diesel but heard of issues with those also. Plus I like rpms.

• Like 1

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking is its the converter. Only problem is you'd think my 2017 would have the same updated version they put in your buddies 2015 from the factory? At least I used to be a service tech at the dealership that does my work and I bought the truck from so I they know I'm not making this stuff up.hopefully they will take care of the problem and me to the best of there ability. Of course Gm has to get this problem sorted out first.

You know I could be wrong, but I think I read about a few people have to replace the torque converters on their 2017s too, so who knows.

It's crazy!! So he thinks it's normal to ride on rumble strips in a 55-60k $ truck?? Lol. Gm knows there's a problem. Theirs enough info on this site to prove that to him. I'd stay on the dealership or take it to another one. I have an appointment to take mine in Monday.

My service guy told me that the fact that mine didn't shudder until the truck was warmed up after driving several miles was the best indication of a converter problem. Mine was rhythmic or cyclical and between 45 and 70 at steady speed. New converter and smooth as butta

• Like 1

Just take it into the dealership. I had the same issue on my 2015 8 speed and had to live with it for almost two years until they figured out a fix for it. They did multiple updates to the programming, new TC but that was a while back and I think the tech didnt follow directions properly as far as the trans flush and such. Anyways, they finally ended up replacing my entire transmission and the problem solved. It drives perfectly fine now in all aspects. So, if a new TC doesnt fix the issue dont take no for an answer, GM will replace the tranny. You just have to be persistent and polite